Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Looking for help with a script to automate VLC Post 302321553 by uncertain on Monday 1st of June 2009 12:41:01 PM
Old 06-01-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambridge
NFS is your answer. With NFS you mount up a remote folder as if it were a local one. Then your script just has to give the find command a couple of folders to find your video files, rather than just the one, e.g.

Code:
find ~/Videos/Server1 ~/Videos/Server2 -name '*.avi' -o -name '*.mpg' -o -name '*.mp4' -o -type f -size +20M | etc...

By the way you don't need a cd before your find command because you're providing a full pathname to find. Context is only important if you're using a relative pathname.
I actually decided to go with NFS somewhere in the mix. After looking up what all goes into launching VLC in streaming mode, trying to do it remotely (after somehow determining whether I need to launch VLC remotely or locally) and then launching it locally to pick up a network stream and then blah blah blah.. Yes, NFS seemed the way to go for exactly the reason you describe. The remote videos folder is just another folder on my desktop, and gets indexed just the same.

I'm surprised you caught the 'cd' thing in the script. I'm even more surprised it never registered with me. It's a remnant from when I first started writing it and I was using 'locate' instead of 'find'.

I'm actually off now to post a thread somewhere about fine-tuning NFS transfer speeds. I'm having a bottleneck somewhere with NFS and SSH transfers, and playing these videos over an NFS tunnel can be a less than enjoyable experience.

Anyhoo, thanks for the advice. Cheers!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

automate the input in a script

I have a program that i have to run by cron. The program needs user input. So i have to automate that in a littke script. start of script program.sh: result=program.log; export result echo Program starting : `date` >> $result /usr/local/program >> $result echo Program running : `date` >>... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: erwinspeybroeck
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

here document to automate perl script that call script

I am trying to use a here document to automate testing a perl script however when the perl script hits a system(perl subscript.pl) call, input is no longer entered into this subscript. here is my script $ cat test.sh #ksh for testcase do program <<-EOF | tee -a funcscnlog.log y... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hogger84
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script(s) to Automate Tasks

I know that this has a bad title, but I'm not sure how to sum it up well. (And I'm new to Linux in general, so please excuse any incorrect terminology :o) Anyway, I'm trying to create a script that gets whatever folder you're in, and then does a command with that directory as an argument. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: droppedonjapan
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shell Script to Automate

I would like to automate script where i do not have to manually insert the username and password I wrote two different scripts but not able to achieve the results: here's to scripts i wrote #!/bin/bash cd /var/tmp /home/server/steve/pca --askauth -idx /opt/app/bin/expect <<EOF expect... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam786
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automate shell script

I would like to automate script where i do not have to manually insert the username and password I wrote two different scripts but not able to achieve the results: here's to scripts i wrote #!/bin/bash cd /var/tmp /home/server/steve/pca --askauth -idx /opt/app/bin/expect <<EOF expect... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam786
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automate Script ***V. Urgent

Hi All, ./procdure.ksh which opens the below the menu, I want to build a script which will press 4 and run the Sector Data Automatically (instead of pressing option 4 manually) Is there any way for this, please let me know... 1) FX Rates MDU 9) Fidessa Cash... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: niceboykunal123
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I automate a script?

Hi All, Can I automate a script when some one trying to 'vi' (open) a file. For Example, I am having a file named 'SecuredShell.sh'. when a user types " vi SecuredShell.sh " in unix command prompt a script named secure.sh needs to be automated. Can this be possible. if Yes please guide... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: little_wonder
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail script to automate

Hi, Here below the logs from the mail server: less /var/log/messages: Sep 6 04:03:31 server-59 out: 1252227811|webmaster@zilia.com|antonino.granata@gmail.com|2175|success|1 Sep 6 04:03:33 server-59 in: 1252227813|news@tarot.com|junk@thess.com|30376|success|1 Sep 6 04:03:35 server-59... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automate remote script

Hi all, I need to execute a script on a remote machine that are connected to the network.The basic requirement is to write a script which will login in remote machine and then execute the other script automatically placed in remote machine.So that I need to execute the remote machine script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
3 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

automate the script

Dear all, I I want to login to my Linux machine using putty and then run some script from Windows machine.we can do it after loging it and then execute the script by typing it in putty command line screen. but I want to automate it.So whenever I will fire this script,it will do the following... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
4 Replies
autofsd(8)						      System Manager's Manual							autofsd(8)

NAME
autofsd, autofs - Automatically and transparently mounts and unmounts NFS file systems SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/autofsd [-dv] [-D name=value] OPTIONS
Enables debugging. When debugging is enabled, the daemon does not disassociate itself from the current tty. Messages that trace autofsd activity are written to standard output. Logs verbose output. Defines an autofsd environment variable by assigning value to the variable. DESCRIPTION
The autofsd daemon automatically and transparently mounts and unmounts NFS file systems on an as-needed basis. Like the automount daemon, it provides another alternative to using the /etc/fstab file for mounting NFS file systems on client machines. However, AutoFS is more efficient than the automount daemon because it requires less communication between the kernel and the user space daemon. The autofsd daemon also provides higher availability than the automount daemon. Although autofsd must be running for mounts or unmounts to be performed, if it is killed or becomes unavailable, exisiting auto-mounted NFS file systems continue to be available. The autofsd daemon can be started from the command line or from the /sbin/rc3.d/nfs script, which reads the /etc/rc.config.common file. Once started, it remains dormant until a user attempts to access a directory (or any file or directory in the directory hierarchy) that is associated with an AutoFS map. The daemon then consults the appropriate map and mounts the NFS file system as specified. AutoFS maps indicate where to find the file system to be mounted and the mount options to use. The names of the maps are passed to the aut- ofsd daemon through the autofsmount command. For more information about AutoFS maps and the autofsmount command, see autofsmount(8) and the Network Administration guide. Also, see sys_attrs_autofs(5) for information on tuning AutoFS. Note The autofsmount program reads AutoFS maps at startup. If you make any changes to the maps after startup, you must execute the autofsmount command again to incorporate the changes. By default, AutoFS uses UDP transport. If the tcp option is specified in a map, AutoFS attempts to use TCP. If TCP is not available, Aut- oFS then reverts to UDP. RESTRICTIONS
There is no support in the autofsd daemon that is analogous to the SIGTERM support in the automount command. If a file system is locally served, the autofsd daemon creates a symbolic link on the system instead of NFS mounting the directory. If locally serving the directory would result in a circular link, the daemon selects an external server (if available). SEE ALSO
Commands: autofsmount(8), automount(8), mount(8) Others: sys_attrs_autofs(5) Network Administration autofsd(8)