Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tab char appearing as single space? Post 302321319 by jake657 on Sunday 31st of May 2009 04:27:45 PM
Old 05-31-2009
Did I ask the question wrongly somehow? Or just nobody knows the answer?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Adding a single char to a char pointer.

Hello, I'm trying to write a method which will return the extension of a file given the file's name, e.g. test.txt should return txt. I'm using C so am limited to char pointers and arrays. Here is the code as I have it: char* getext(char *file) { char *extension; int i, j;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallak7
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how2 get single char from keyboard w/o enter

I am writing a bash shell menu and would like to get a char immediately after a key is pressed. This script does not work but should give you an idea of what I am trying to do.... Thanks for the help #! /bin/bash ANSWER="" echo -en "Choose item...\n" until do $ANSWER = $STDIN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwzumwalt
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in tab space !

i have a commad that display the total each directory size in KB.Below the commad and o/p: ls -ltr | grep ^d | awk '{print $9}' | xargs du -sk output: what i want is the proper tab space b/w value and dir.? how to get that. thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add 'n' of tab char?

Hi All, I need to add 'n' no. of tab char (\t) in a file thro' a script. Say for example if I give 5 as input then my script should give the all the lines with 5tabs. Input File : ####### 12323234 56465456 asdfdf456 dfgdf4564 So my Output File should look like:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: askumarece
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting 2 or more spaces to a single tab

I'm new to bash and want to know a simple sed, awk, or grep script that will find all instances of 2 or more spaces and convert them to a single tab. Thanks for the help in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jkandel
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging files into a single tab delimited file with a space separating

I have a folder that contains say 50 files in a sequential order: cdf_1.txt cdf_2.txt cdf_3.txt cdf_3.txt . . . cdf_50.txt. I need to merge these files in the same order into a single tab delimited file. I used the following shell script: for x in {1..50}; do cat cdf_${x}.txt >>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping out more than a space from a line, but keep single space.

Hi all, Is there a way to perform the above, I am trying to strip out more than one space from a line, but keep the single space. See below output example. My Name is test test2 test3 test4 test5 My Name is test test2 test3 test4 test5 Please note that the lines would contain... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: eo29
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing only the first space to a tab in a space delimited text file

Hi, I have a space delimited text file but I only want to change the first space to a tab and keep the rest of the spaces intact. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single char

Task 2: When Im tring script called char that checks a single character on the command line, c. If the character is a digit, digit is displayed. If the character is an upper or lowercase alphabetic character, letter is displayed. Otherwise, other is displayed. Have the script print an error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roozo
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing multiple special chars with single char

Hi I've a string . And i need to replace set of characters with a single character Means .. or . or ... and so on should be replaced with single % character Irrespective of number of dots in between the characters , those should be replaced with single % All the above strings should be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
3 Replies
DEBCONF-SET-SELECTIONS(1)					      Debconf						 DEBCONF-SET-SELECTIONS(1)

NAME
debconf-set-selections - insert new default values into the debconf database SYNOPSIS
debconf-set-selections file debconf-get-selections | ssh newhost debconf-set-selections DESCRIPTION
debconf-set-selections can be used to pre-seed the debconf database with answers, or to change answers in the database. Each question will be marked as seen to prevent debconf from asking the question interactively. Reads from a file if a filename is given, otherwise from stdin. WARNING
Only use this command to seed debconf values for packages that will be or are installed. Otherwise you can end up with values in the database for uninstalled packages that will not go away, or with worse problems involving shared values. It is recommended that this only be used to seed the database if the originating machine has an identical install. DATA FORMAT
The data is a series of lines. Lines beginning with a # character are comments. Blank lines are ignored. All other lines set the value of one question, and should contain four values, each separated by one character of whitespace. The first value is the name of the package that owns the question. The second is the name of the question, the third value is the type of this question, and the fourth value (through the end of the line) is the value to use for the answer of the question. Alternatively, the third value can be "seen"; then the preseed line only controls whether the question is marked as seen in debconf's database. Note that preseeding a question's value defaults to marking that question as seen, so to override the default value without marking a question seen, you need two lines. Lines can be continued to the next line by ending them with a "" character. EXAMPLES
# Force debconf priority to critical. debconf debconf/priority select critical # Override default frontend to readline, but allow user to select. debconf debconf/frontend select readline debconf debconf/frontend seen false OPTIONS
--verbose, -v verbose output --checkonly, -c only check the input file format, do not save changes to database SEE ALSO
debconf-get-selections(1) (available in the debconf-utils package) AUTHOR
Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> 2012-09-10 DEBCONF-SET-SELECTIONS(1)