Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Replacing File values
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing File values Post 302321278 by hgjdv on Sunday 31st of May 2009 12:28:02 PM
Old 05-31-2009
Quote:
For your first question, it depends on what processing you will do it to the file after converting spaces to a ~ and then when/why do you revert back.
I am working with a csv. which I am building a specified table for another applicaiton.

data1,This has a space
data2, This has a space
data3, This has a space

I am using AWK to split on the space to seperate the two columns however I noticed when I was looping through csv file the loop was seperating each value instead of keeping data1 and This has a space as two elements. I noticed if I replaced the space with a ~ i would then keep the two value relationship while looping. ie.

data1
This~has~a~space

instead of
data1
This
has
a
space

I tried changing the IFS to IFS=, however that was causing an issue for me for the back end processing of the table of keeping track via a counter of when to add a specified # for the table format between every 2 values and then no # at the end of the file. The other issue i noticed was a carriage return at the end of each 2nd value in the csv value which is where I used the TR -d to remove it, which worked.

I am achieving the end result however I'm always looking for a more efficient way. I then would strip the ~ back out and return spaces.

data1
This has a space
#
data2
This has a space
#
data3
This has a space
<no # at end of file>

I am curious with the SED command is that a per line edit comand or does it operate in the same fashion of the tr command of replacing/removing everything in the file at once?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing a line that may have different values on different servers

Replace disable_functions in php.ini with value of your choice which may be different on different servers ================================================ -bash-2.05b# grep disable_functions /usr/local/lib/php.ini disable_functions = 1 2 e weq t ret rye y etyhty rt et e ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing values in a file based on values in another file

Hi I have 2 files:- 1. List of files which consists of names of some output files. 2. A delimited file; delimted by "|" I want to replace the value of the $23 (23rd column) in the delimited file with name in the first file. It is always position to position. Meaning first row of the first... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pparthiv
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing column 1 in one file with values in other file

Please help me with an shell / awk script to achieve following; File-1: ABCDW01 12322 23322 BDADW01 22232 24453 EDFAW00 32232 23422 and so on, notice that the first coloumn is a code and the another file contains the real value of each entry in the first colum above but not in a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: digipak
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing string values from a File

I want to replace string values from a file to a file For eg : File1 has 30 lines of string with values, those specific values needs to be changed in file2 and remaining values in file2 should be as it is. For example: From file (File1) cluster.name=secondaryCluster To replace File... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram003
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing column values

hi all , ( perl) i am trying to replace jst one column in a file for eg month dayofweek dealar car-name jan thurs mercedes c300 feb wed lexus is300 all this data is in a master file and i want to replace jan with 1 feb... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: technoman
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing values in a column if they equal a certain value

Hi, I have a tab delimited text file where some lines have the string "NA" in the second column. For these lines, I want to replace NA with the value in the first column, the symbol underscore followed by the value in the fourth column. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! Input: 1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk file to read values from Db2 table replacing hard coded values

Hi, I want to replace a chain of if-else statement in an old AWK file with values from Db2 table or CSV file. The part of code is below... if (start_new_rec=="true"){ exclude_user="false"; user=toupper($6); match(user, "XXXXX."); if (RSTART ==2 ) { ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: asandy1234
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting and replacing according to block values

please consider the following file, there are repeated blocks of m values, and nested s values within. there are 2 columns (cols 3 and 4)associated with each m,s combination. All s1 rows must get a value of a(col 3 in output), all s2 values must get a value of b(col 3 in output). If s1 and s2 rows... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senhia83
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help in replacing column values

Hello All, I am having the file as below .I need to replace column 9-12 with some other values. In the below file I need to replace 1509 to 1508 and 1508 to 1507 .Can you please help me in how to do that Thanks, Arun ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replacing values inside a file.

Good day guys, I'm having trouble in creating a logic when it comes to replacing the values inside a file. I tried using sed command but it just doesn't work the way I want it to be. Here is what I'm trying to achieve. If my input file contains the values below. NAME++GUEST1 ++GUESS2++... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asdfghjkl
3 Replies
times(1)							   User Commands							  times(1)

NAME
times - shell built-in function to report time usages of the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh times ksh times DESCRIPTION
sh Print the accumulated user and system times for processes run from the shell. ksh Print the accumulated user and system times for the shell and for processes run from the shell. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), time(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 times(1)