Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Break one line to many lines using awk Post 302321124 by Franklin52 on Saturday 30th of May 2009 09:16:47 AM
Old 05-30-2009
Did you try the other solutions suggested in this thread?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

join lines on line break in files

i had a file where lines appear to be broken when they shouldn't eg Line 1. kerl abc sdskd sdsjkdlsd sdsdksd \ Line 2. ksdkks sdnjs djsdjsd i can do a shift join to combine the lines but i there are plenty of files with this issue Line 1. kerl abc sdskd sdsjkdlsd sdsdksd ksdkks sdnjs... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad_man12
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Break lines up into single lines after each space in every line

It sounds a bit confusing but what I have is a text file like the example below (without the Line1, Line2, Line3 etc. of course) and I want to move every group of characters into a new line after each space. Example of text file; line1 .digg-widget-theme2 ul { background: rgb(0, 0, 0) none... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to Break lines to multiple lines.

Input File: nawk -F "|" '{ for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) { if (i == 2) {gsub(",","#",$i);z=split($i,a,"")} else if (i == 3) {gsub(",","#",$i);z=split($i,b,"")} } if(z > 0) for(i=1;i<=z;i++) print $1,a,"Test"; if(w > 0) for(j=1;j<=w;j++) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: Break line, read, break again, read again...

...when the lines use both a colon and commas to separate the parts you want read as information. The first version of this script used cut and other non-Bash-builtins, frequently, which made it nice and zippy with little more than average processor load in GNOME Terminal but, predictably, slow... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate mean in AWK? line by line several files, thousands of lines

I'm kinda stuck on this one, I have 7 files with 30.000 lines/file like this 050 0.023 0.504336 050 0.024 0.529521 050 0.025 0.538908 050 0.026 0.537035 I want to find the mean line by line of the third column from the files named like this: Stat-f-1.dat .... Stat-f-7.dat Stat-s-1.dat... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: AriasFco
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Enumerate lines until each line break using awk

Hi, I have the following data: This this DT 0.99955 0 4 is be VBZ 1 5 7 sentence sentence NN 0.916667 8 16 one one NN 0.545078 17 20 . . Fp 1 20 21 This this DT 0.99955 22 26 is be VBZ 1 27 29 the the DT 1 30 33 second 2 JJ 0.930556 34 40 sentence sentence NN 0.916667 41 49... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: owwow14
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Break lines that appear together

Hello to all May you help me with a sed or awk script to fix the text below please. I have a file where all lines should have 67 characters but from time to time 2 lines appear together like below. * First column always has 15 characters * Second column always has 32 characters * 3rd,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Break line content into multiple lines using delimiter

I need to break the line after every 3rd semi colon(;) using Unix shell scripting Input.txt ABC;DEF;JHY;LKU;QWE;BVF;RGHY; Output.txt ABC;DEF;JHY; LKU;QWE;BVF; RGHY; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meet_calramz
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk script for pattern match and line break

Hi, I have input which reads like 9089.00 ----- kl jkjjljk lkkk; (909099) 9097.00 ----- HGJJHHJ jcxkjlkjvhvlk jhdkjksdfkhfskd 898.00 ----- HHHH I am trying to do something like this - As soon as I found pattern match "XYZ.00-----" it will insert a line break to the input and will go to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines that do not start with digit and combine line or lines

I have been searching and trying to come up with an awk that will perform the following on a converted text file (original is a pdf). 1. Since the first two lines are (begin with) text they are removed 2. if $1 is a number then all text is merged (combined) into one line until the next... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If one of the file names is the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Input fields are normally separated spaces or tabs; output fields by space. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are discarded. The following options are recognized, with POSIX syntax. -a n In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -v n Like -a, omitting output for paired lines. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -1 m -2 m Join on the mth field of file1 or file2. -jn m Archaic equivalent for -n m. -ofields Each output line comprises the designated fields. The comma-separated field designators are either 0, meaning the join field, or have the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. Archaic usage allows separate arguments for field designators. -tc Use character c as the only separator (tab character) on input and output. Every appearance of c in a line is significant. EXAMPLES
sort /adm/users | join -t: -a 1 -e "" - bdays Add birthdays to password information, leaving unknown birthdays empty. The layout of is given in users(6); bdays contains sorted lines like tr : ' ' </adm/users | sort -k 3 3 >temp join -1 3 -2 3 -o 1.1,2.1 temp temp | awk '$1 < $2' Print all pairs of users with identical userids. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/join.c SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b -ky,y; with -t, the sequence is that of sort -tx -ky,y. One of the files must be randomly accessible. JOIN(1)