Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Updating a field in a File without creating temp file's Post 302321107 by prabhutkl on Saturday 30th of May 2009 06:47:14 AM
Old 05-30-2009
Updating a field in a File without creating temp file's

Hi vidyadhar85,

I tried with below script, but the problem when I schedule this script multple times to run at a same time to update different record in a file it is not working properly,

input_path='/isscrmetl/data001/script test/file_upd'
list_file=$1
sess_name=$2
if [ ! -f "$input_path"/"$list_file" ]
then
echo "List file not found"
else

IFS=" "
touch "$input_path"/$2_temp_file
cat "$input_path"/"$list_file" | while read session_name load_type freq end_time prev_stat
do

if [ "$session_name" = "$sess_name" ]
then
load_type='INCREMENTAL'
freq='DAILY'
#end_time=`date +%m%d%Y` date +/%m%d%y.%H%M%S'.
#end_time=`date +%d-%h-%Y %t`
end_time=`date`
prev_stat='SUCCEEDED'
fi
echo "$session_name $load_type $freq $end_time $prev_stat"
echo "$session_name $load_type $freq $end_time $prev_stat" >>"$input_path"/$2_temp_file
done
#echo "Temp File"
#cat "$input_path"/$2_temp_file
mv "$input_path"/$2_temp_file "$input_path"/"$list_file"

#rm -f "$input_path"/$1_temp_file
fi

exit 0;

Pls. assist me to get this done.

Thanks,
Prabhu

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append to end of each line of file without a temp file.

Hello I am trying to append an incrimenting number to the end of each line I have it working with a temp file. But I want to do this without a temp file. a=1 cat "file" | while read LINE do echo "$LINE, $a" >> filewithnumbers a=`expr $a + 1` ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rorey_breaker
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk updating one file with another, comparing, updating

Hello, I read and search through this wonderful forum and tried different approaches but it seems I lack some knowledge and neurones ^^ Here is what I'm trying to achieve : file1: test filea 3495; test fileb 4578; test filec 7689; test filey 9978; test filez 12300; file2: test filea... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mecano
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace a string in a file without the use of temp file

Hi - I am looking for a replacing a string in a in multiple *.sql files in directory with a new string without using a temporary file Normally I can use sed command as below for W in ls `FILE*.sql` do sed 's/OLD/NEW/g' $W > TEMPFILE.dat mv TEMPFILE.dat $W done But Here in my... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghutapal
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lookup on large file based on a temp file

hello guys Please help me with the below issue I have two files one base file another lookupfile base file abc-001 bcd-001 cde-001 Lookupfile abc-001|11|12 abc-001|11|12 abc-001|11|12 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store the name of an extracted file to a temp file

What would be the best way to store the name of an extracted file from a tar to a text file? I want to extract one file from a tar and store the name of the extracted file to a temp file. tar -xvf tar_file.tar file_to_be_extracted (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: erin00
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Creating the script for updating or replacing the existing http.conf file

Hi I need some help with a task, i am an absolute newbie to any form of shell scripting and request guidance. I have been building a proxy server using the apache mod proxy currently my solution is working , but i need to automate the process , suppose if any changes need to be made on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: satej
0 Replies
cscope-indexer(1)					      General Commands Manual						 cscope-indexer(1)

NAME
cscope-indexer - Script to index files for cscope SYNOPSIS
cscope-indexer [-v] [-f database_file] [-i list_file] [-l] [-r] DESCRIPTION
This script generates a list of files to index (cscope.out), which is then (optionally) used to generate a cscope database. You can use this script to just build a list of files, or it can be used to build a list and database. This script is not used to just build a data- base (skipping the list of files step), as this can be simply done by just calling "cscope -b". Normally, cscope will do its own indexing, but this script can be used to force indexing. This is useful if you need to recurse into sub- directories, or have many files to index (you can run this script from a cron job, during the night). It is especially useful for large projects, which can contstantly have source files added and deleted; by using this script, the changing sources files are automatically handled. Currently, any paths containing "/CVS/" or "/RCS/" are stripped out (ignored). OPTIONS
-f database_file Specifies the cscope database file (default: cscope.out). -i list_file Specifies the name of the file into which the list of files to index is placed (default: cscope.files). -l Suppress the generation/updating of the cscope database file. Only a list of files is generated. -r Recurse into subdirectories to locate files to index. Without this option, only the current directory is searched. -v Be verbose. Output simple progress messages. SEE ALSO
cscope(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux system by Robert Lemmen <robertle@semistable.com> (but may be used by others, of course) Script to index files for cscope 30. December 2002 cscope-indexer(1)