Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Send output of grep as input of kill command Post 302321021 by foxtron on Friday 29th of May 2009 06:08:46 PM
Old 05-29-2009
Thanks a lot

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I avoid the standard output from kill command

I am sending a kill comand to kill a process inside a SH script but I don`t want the user to notice it so I donīt want the message "1222 killed" to appear. I`ve tried to redirect the standard output to /dev/null 2>&1 and also tried to use "nohup" but none of them was succesfull. Can anyone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pguinal
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with output of find command being input to basename command...

Hi, I am triying to make sure that there exists only one file with the pattern abc* in path /path/. This directory is having many huge files. If there is only one file then I have to take its complete name only to use furter in my script. I am planning to do like this: if ; then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_learner
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I send the input of a read line command through a shell script

Hi All, I wish to automate the unix command 'su' through a shell script. I would like to pass the content of a file as password to 'su' command. My script is as below, #! /bin/sh su userA while read line do rpm -ivh $line done < pwd.txt where pwd.txt contains the password of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: little_wonder
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

send output of a file as input for changing date

Hi, Please help me out on this one. I want to send the output of a file as input for changing the date using date command. Example, i have a file date.txt whose contents are 081014462009 I need to use the date in that file as input for date command. I tried cat date.txt | date ; but it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: foxtron
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep output as input for sed command

Hi, I would like to know if this is possible, and if so what can i do to make this work. I would like to grep a line X from fileA and then use the output to replace a word Y in fileB. grep "line X" fileA | sed -e 's/Y/X/g' > outfile this statement does not work, as i do not know how to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cavanac2
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep Stop status from the output of script and send an eamil alert.

Hello Team, I have script which gives below output. Server clustServer11 is in a STARTED state Server clustServer12 is in a STOPPED state Server clustServer21 is in a STOPPED state I would like to prepare script which will grep stop word from the above output and send an email alert. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolguyamy
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send output of a command as an email

Hello Unix Experts! We are on AIX 6.1 TL6 I am trying to develop a script that does the following: It should send the output of "df -g /directory/folder" command as an email to a user(someone@company.com) This is too simple and i can research on how to do it, but it would be great if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atechcorp
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Trapping a kill command sent to a script and using it to send an EOF to a subprocess before killing

I originally had a script written in pure shell that I used to parse logs in real time and create a pipe delimited file that only contained errors. It worked but it was using a lot of memory (still not clear on why). I originally got around this by writing a wrapper for the script that ran on cron... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect command to send the user input enter or ctrl+c

Hey All, I am writing one script using expect, that script which is used in spawn will accepts only 1. Enter 2. Ctrl+c Press Control-C to exit, Enter to proceed. Could some one share some thoughts to send the above user inputs in linux expect block ? Thanks, Sam (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SCHITIMA
0 Replies
pbmreduce(1)                                                  General Commands Manual                                                 pbmreduce(1)

NAME
pbmreduce - read a portable bitmap and reduce it N times SYNOPSIS
pbmreduce [-floyd|-fs|-threshold ] [-value val] N [pbmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable bitmap as input. Reduces it by a factor of N, and produces a portable bitmap as output. pbmreduce duplicates a lot of the functionality of pgmtopbm; you could do something like pnmscale | pgmtopbm, but pbmreduce is a lot faster. pbmreduce can be used to "re-halftone" an image. Let's say you have a scanner that only produces black&white, not grayscale, and it does a terrible job of halftoning (most b&w scanners fit this description). One way to fix the halftoning is to scan at the highest possible res- olution, say 300 dpi, and then reduce by a factor of three or so using pbmreduce. You can even correct the brightness of an image, by using the -value flag. OPTIONS
By default, the halftoning after the reduction is done via boustrophedonic Floyd-Steinberg error diffusion; however, the -threshold flag can be used to specify simple thresholding. This gives better results when reducing line drawings. The -value flag alters the thresholding value for all quantizations. It should be a real number between 0 and 1. Above 0.5 means darker images; below 0.5 means lighter. All flags can be abbreviated to their shortest unique prefix. SEE ALSO
pnmenlarge(1), pnmscale(1), pgmtopbm(1), pbm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1988 by Jef Poskanzer. 02 August 1989 pbmreduce(1)