Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Break one line to many lines using awk Post 302321015 by pinnacle on Friday 29th of May 2009 05:20:40 PM
Old 05-29-2009
Break one line to many lines using awk

Break one line to many lines using awk

The below code works but i want to implement without combining field 2 and 3 and then splitting i would like to do this in one command
instead of writing multiple commands and creating multiple lines.

Code:
nawk -F"|" '{print $1,$2SUBSEP$3}' OFS="|"  file > file1
nawk -F"|" '{gsub(",", " ",$2);gsub(SUBSEP, " ",$2);print}' OFS="|" file1 > file2
nawk -F"|" '{if ($2 ~ " ") {split ($2,a," "); for (i in a) {print $1,a[i]}}  else print}' OFS="|"  file2 > file3

file:
Quote:
abc|IND INDX DXO|IND IJK VERMONT
def|AMC,LOWES|IND TMC
ghi|IND TMC BMW|KJL,TNT,CHK,OPEN

output:
Quote:
abc|INDX
abc|DXO
abc|IND
abc|IJK
abc|VERMONT
abc|IND
def|LOWES
def|IND
def|TMC
def|AMC
ghi|TMC
ghi|BMW
ghi|KJL
ghi|TNT
ghi|CHK
ghi|OPEN
ghi|IND

Help in completing as this is not working:

Code:
nawk -F"|" '{for (i=2;i<=NF;i++) {if ($1 ~ " ") {RS=[, ] print}}' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

join lines on line break in files

i had a file where lines appear to be broken when they shouldn't eg Line 1. kerl abc sdskd sdsjkdlsd sdsdksd \ Line 2. ksdkks sdnjs djsdjsd i can do a shift join to combine the lines but i there are plenty of files with this issue Line 1. kerl abc sdskd sdsjkdlsd sdsdksd ksdkks sdnjs... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad_man12
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Break lines up into single lines after each space in every line

It sounds a bit confusing but what I have is a text file like the example below (without the Line1, Line2, Line3 etc. of course) and I want to move every group of characters into a new line after each space. Example of text file; line1 .digg-widget-theme2 ul { background: rgb(0, 0, 0) none... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to Break lines to multiple lines.

Input File: nawk -F "|" '{ for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) { if (i == 2) {gsub(",","#",$i);z=split($i,a,"")} else if (i == 3) {gsub(",","#",$i);z=split($i,b,"")} } if(z > 0) for(i=1;i<=z;i++) print $1,a,"Test"; if(w > 0) for(j=1;j<=w;j++) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: Break line, read, break again, read again...

...when the lines use both a colon and commas to separate the parts you want read as information. The first version of this script used cut and other non-Bash-builtins, frequently, which made it nice and zippy with little more than average processor load in GNOME Terminal but, predictably, slow... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate mean in AWK? line by line several files, thousands of lines

I'm kinda stuck on this one, I have 7 files with 30.000 lines/file like this 050 0.023 0.504336 050 0.024 0.529521 050 0.025 0.538908 050 0.026 0.537035 I want to find the mean line by line of the third column from the files named like this: Stat-f-1.dat .... Stat-f-7.dat Stat-s-1.dat... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: AriasFco
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Enumerate lines until each line break using awk

Hi, I have the following data: This this DT 0.99955 0 4 is be VBZ 1 5 7 sentence sentence NN 0.916667 8 16 one one NN 0.545078 17 20 . . Fp 1 20 21 This this DT 0.99955 22 26 is be VBZ 1 27 29 the the DT 1 30 33 second 2 JJ 0.930556 34 40 sentence sentence NN 0.916667 41 49... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: owwow14
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Break lines that appear together

Hello to all May you help me with a sed or awk script to fix the text below please. I have a file where all lines should have 67 characters but from time to time 2 lines appear together like below. * First column always has 15 characters * Second column always has 32 characters * 3rd,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Break line content into multiple lines using delimiter

I need to break the line after every 3rd semi colon(;) using Unix shell scripting Input.txt ABC;DEF;JHY;LKU;QWE;BVF;RGHY; Output.txt ABC;DEF;JHY; LKU;QWE;BVF; RGHY; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meet_calramz
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk script for pattern match and line break

Hi, I have input which reads like 9089.00 ----- kl jkjjljk lkkk; (909099) 9097.00 ----- HGJJHHJ jcxkjlkjvhvlk jhdkjksdfkhfskd 898.00 ----- HHHH I am trying to do something like this - As soon as I found pattern match "XYZ.00-----" it will insert a line break to the input and will go to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines that do not start with digit and combine line or lines

I have been searching and trying to come up with an awk that will perform the following on a converted text file (original is a pdf). 1. Since the first two lines are (begin with) text they are removed 2. if $1 is a number then all text is merged (combined) into one line until the next... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)