Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Writing Unix script to accept arguments Post 302320151 by sysgate on Wednesday 27th of May 2009 07:22:15 AM
Old 05-27-2009
Another simple example in bash (if you do not care about the switches' names) :
Code:
#!/bin/bash

parseArguments() {
    if [[ $# -lt 3 ]]; then
        echo "Usage: $0 host user pass"
        exit 1
    fi
host="$1"
user="$2"
pass="$3"

# do you stuff here, and put the following at the main part of the script : 
parseArguments() $@

The $0 is the name of the script.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in writing a unix script

OS: Solaris Shell : KSH Please help me in writing a script that captures a error message from a log file ( which updates continiously ) and send an email alert as soon as the systems throws a error message into that log. i.e With out monitoring the log Thanks in advance.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pray44u
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help writing this unix script

I am working on writing scripts. Here is a script I need help with. I have also wrote what I think it is. I would really appreciate any help that I can get. Create an executable script file called "newname" that will perform the followings: 1. Rename a file upon the user's request. If the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiggles
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help writing this unix script

Create an executable script file called "newname" that will perform the followings: 1. Rename a file upon the user's request. If the file exists, prompt the user for confirmation before renaming the file. The screen should prompt the user for a. "Name of file you want to rename." Use the "\c"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiggles
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script that will accept arguments

Hi, I am not very skilled using ksh scripts. How do I create a ksh script that will accept arguments and use them in the script ? I need to make this: Run this command with this argument: ./mykshprogram.ksh madsen and sometimes I need to do this: Run the ksh again with 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hasselhaven
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script unix which accept two arguments

does anyone can help me with this homework, please..I am beginner in linux and I don't how to do it :( Create a script scanner.sh which will accept two arguments: the first argument is the DNS name or the IP address of a system, or a network address or an IP range, the second argument is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gennyy
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to accept arguments in shell script when calling in perl

I have a shell script like this: #!/bin/sh $PYTHON MetarDecoder.py < ../data/mtrs/arg1/arg2 And I'm calling it with this in perl: my $output = `./metar_parse.sh --options`; It's successful when I put in actual values for arg1 and arg2 in the shell script, but I'd like to pass arguments... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: civilsurfer
1 Replies

7. Programming

Writing C++ program Arguments and Classes

I want to write a C++ program that uses a class to do some calculations. I pass arguments to the program, some of which are used to set up class members. A class function will then perform the necessary calculations. I am wondering how I should pass the arguments from the program to set the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

8. Programming

Make a file accept only two arguments from the command line

DELETED (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ProgMan2015
2 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Make a file accept only two arguments from the command line

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: 1) The script is executed in the Korn shell. 2) Name the shell script file is asg6s. 3) The asg6s file is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ProgMan2015
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX script can accept 1 to n parameters

Just for my leaning purpose, I appreciate if someone answer my question: A UNIX script can accept 1 to n parameters. For each of these parameters, write out the parameter id number and its value. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shumail
1 Replies
DPKG-WWW(1)						      General Commands Manual						       DPKG-WWW(1)

NAME
dpkg-www - program to remotely open a WWW Debian package browser SYNOPSIS
dpkg-www [-s|--stdout] [-h|--host host] [query] DESCRIPTION
dpkg-www is used to remotely control a WEB browser and open a dpkg URL on the local host from an interactive shell or script. If the command is invoked while running under X-window the script will try to find an installed X browser to open the specified URL. If not running under X it will try to use a text browser instead. If Netscape is found and a Netscape instance is already running it will be asked to open the dpkg URL on localhost with the optional query supplied on the command line. If there is no browser running, it will start automatically a new one. The functionality provided by this program is identical to running a web browser with the -remote openURL(http://localhost/cgi-bin/dpkg) argument or opening the same URL from within the browser. dpkg-www-installer is an helper application which can configured in the WWW browser for web installation. It should never be invoked directly by the user. OPTIONS
-s, --stdout Redirect output to stdout. Requires one of the text browsers (lynx, lynx-ssl or links) installed. -h, --host host Send the query to a remote host, where dpkg-www must be installed. query Specifies an optional package name, an absolute pathname or a query argument which is passed to the dpkg cgi-bin. See dpkg-www(8) for more information about the use of the cgi. FILES
/etc/dpkg-www.conf ~/.dpkg-www Configuration files for dpkg-www. It is not necessary for these files to exist, there are sensible defaults for everything, but you can specify your preferred www browser with the DPKG_WWW_BROWSER variable, for example: DPKG_WWW_BROWSER=mozilla EXAMPLES
dpkg-www This would open a dpkg URL on localhost listing all the installed packages. dpkg-www bash This would open a dpkg URL asking info on the bash package. dpkg-www -h pisolo bash This would open a dpkg URL asking info on the bash package on host pisolo. dpkg-www 'dpkg*' This would open a dpkg URL listing all packages matching dpkg*. dpkg-www /bin/bash This would open a dpkg URL asking info on the package(s) owning the file /bin/bash . dpkg-www depends=svgalib This would open a dpkg URL listing all packages depending on svgalib. dpkg-www --stdout depends=awk | grep ^ii This would list on stdout all packages depending on awk and grep all lines of installed packages. SEE ALSO
dpkg(8), dpkg-www(8) AUTHOR
Massimo Dal Zotto <dz@debian.org>. Bugs should be reported via the normal Debian bug reporting system. LICENCE
dpkg-www is licensed under the GNU General Public License version 2. September 1, 2004 DPKG-WWW(1)