Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting variable redirect messing up a sed command. Post 302319987 by JerryHone on Tuesday 26th of May 2009 06:52:35 PM
Old 05-26-2009
"Cascading backslashes" a.k.a "Leaning toothpicks"!Smilie

Code:
var=`echo "Hello\,World" | sed 's/\\\,/,/'`; echo $var --> "Hello,World"

seems to work!

It's because the backticks are spawning another subshell, but the original backslashes have already been interpreted by the first one.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirect command output to variable

Hi, I am looking for a way to redirect the result from a command into a variable. This is the scenario. Using the find command I will be getting multiple records/lines back. Here is the command I am using: find /”path”/ -name nohup.out -print This now is giving me the paths and file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hugow
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect from Variable to command line??

The following creates a needed awk command from some preexisting variables and stores it in the variable i. I then redirect it to a new file change the permission on the file and run it as a script. How can I do a simple redirect on this variable to the command line, instead of creating a new... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ugh
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed insert command and variable expansion/command substitution

I know this script is crummy, but I was just messing around.. how do I get sed's insert command to allow variable expansion to show the filename? #!/bin/bash filename=`echo $0` /usr/bin/sed '/#include/ { i\ the filename is `$filename` }' $1 exit 0 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to take variable

I have file File1.txt in which i have to replace a text using sed command File1.txt contents EURAMOUNTTOBEREPLACED I have a AIX shell script for replacing the text AMOUNTTOBEREPLACED Contents of the shell script sum=27 sed 's/AMOUNTTOBEREPLACED/"$sum"/g' File1.txt >> temp mv temp... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bk_12345
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command with variable

Hi, I want to insert some text in the begning of each line. But issue is the text that i want to insert is stored into one variable. so my command look like constr="`date | awk '{print $3"-"$2"-"$6}'`",MXGBTST1" " sed 's/^/\$constr/g' alert_temp.csv but sed command instead of taking... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranvijaidba
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a variable in sed command

Hi All, Can I use a variable (using this variable as a counter) in sed cmd? something like below sed -n '${COUNT}p' But it's not working. Pls help. Thanks. Regards, Amee export COUNT=1 export COUNTER=`cat ${BINPATH}/$ALLOC_FILE.clean_1 | wc -l | tr -d " "` while ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amee5
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect output of a command to a variable during ftp mode?

Hi, How can I redirect the output of a following command to a variable. ftp myservername ftp> user (username) guptaji 331 Password required for guptaji. Password: ftp> size /home/salil/abc.dat ftp> a='size /home/salil/abc.dat' ?Invalid command I want to redirect value of size to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Salil Gupta
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Variable in sed command

Hi All, How can i use a variable in a sed command ? I cant seem to get it to work as at present its just printing $i at the start of every line rather than the variable $1. sed -e "s/^/\$i,|/" Any help would be appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mutley2202
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a variable in sed command

Hi All, Please help me with the below problem if then $a=" " fi echo "ABC1abc" | sed 's/a/'$a'/' The required output is : ABC abc But I am getting the below error: sed: -e expression #1, char 4: unterminated `s' command Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulsk
6 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)