Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers deleting white spaces in a file Post 302319869 by mraghunandanan on Tuesday 26th of May 2009 11:13:52 AM
Old 05-26-2009
deleting white spaces in a file

Hello Guys,

I am a newbie to unix. I am having a requirement. Please help me for finding a solution for this,

I am having a file as mentioned below:

[mraghunandanan@localhost ~]$ cat shank

ackca
acackac akcajc akcjkcja akcj

ckcklc

I want to delete all the white spaces in this file,

I tried using sed 's/^$/d' shank, but it is only deleting the empty lines but it is not deleting the white spaces in the third row.

Really appreciate ur help...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting white spaces

How would I delete white spaces in a specified file? Also, I'd like to know what command I would use to take something off a regular expression, and put it onto another. ie. . . . expression1 <take_off> . . . expression2 (put here) . . . Any help would be great, thanks! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cary530
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting end line spaces for along file

How can i clear all space characteres for a long file at the end of each line? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: osymad
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh script for deleting extra spaces in text file

I am new to scripting and I needed to know if there would be an easy way to delete extra spaces in a text file. I have a file with three rows with 22 numbers each, but there is extra spaces between the numbers when it gets output by this program AFNI that I am using. What script would help delete... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
2 Replies

4. Solaris

removing special characters, white spaces from a field in a file

what my code is doing, it is executing a sql file and the resullset of the query is getting stored in the text file in a fixed format. for that fixed format i have used the following code:: Code: awk -F":"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyanka3006
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines that contain spaces in a txt file

I need some help deleting lines in a file that contain spaces. Im sure awk or sed will work but i dont know much about those commands. Any help is appreciated :D (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: r04dw4rri0r
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Leading white spaces

Hi, I am having problem in deleting the leading spaces:- cat x.csv baseball,NULL,8798765,Most played baseball,NULL,8928192,Most played baseball,NULL,5678945,Most played cricket,NOTNULL,125782,Usually played cricket,NOTNULL,678921,Usually played $ nawk 'BEGIN{FS=","}!a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scripter12
2 Replies

7. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Want a tcl script to compare a string in a file ignoring white spaces

Hi , I want a tcl script to search a string ignoring whitespaces in a .log file . It should correctly match . The string are as follows "Output-Maps 1 1 0 0 0" 1 and Active Intermediate-Maps 0 0 0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kulua
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove white spaces from flat file generated from Oracle table...

I have to export data from table into flat file with | delimited. In the ksh file, I am adding below to do this activity. $DBSTRING contains the sqlplus command and $SQL_STRING contains the SQL query. File is created properly with the data as per SQL command. I am getting white spaces in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mgpatil31
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

List and Delete Files which are older than 7 days, but have white spaces in file name

I need to list and delete all files in current older which are olderthan 7 days. But my file names have white spaces. Before deleting I want to list all the files, so that I can verify.find . -type f -mtime +7 | xargs ls -l {} But the ls command is the working on the files which have white... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing White spaces from a huge file

I am trying to remove whitespaces from a file containing sample data as: 457 <EOFD> Mar 1 2007 12:00:00:000AM <EOFD> Mar 31 2007 12:00:00:000AM <EOFD> system <EORD> 458 <EOFD> Mar 1 2007 12:00:00:000AM<EOFD>agf <EOFD> Apr 20 2007 9:10:56:036PM <EOFD> prodiws<EORD> . Basically these... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: amvip
11 Replies
UNBUFFER(1)						      General Commands Manual						       UNBUFFER(1)

NAME
unbuffer - unbuffer output SYNOPSIS
unbuffer program [ args ] INTRODUCTION
unbuffer disables the output buffering that occurs when program output is redirected from non-interactive programs. For example, suppose you are watching the output from a fifo by running it through od and then more. od -c /tmp/fifo | more You will not see anything until a full page of output has been produced. You can disable this automatic buffering as follows: unbuffer od -c /tmp/fifo | more Normally, unbuffer does not read from stdin. This simplifies use of unbuffer in some situations. To use unbuffer in a pipeline, use the -p flag. Example: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 CAVEATS
unbuffer -p may appear to work incorrectly if a process feeding input to unbuffer exits. Consider: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 If process1 exits, process2 may not yet have finished. It is impossible for unbuffer to know long to wait for process2 and process2 may not ever finish, for example, if it is a filter. For expediency, unbuffer simply exits when it encounters an EOF from either its input or process2. In order to have a version of unbuffer that worked in all situations, an oracle would be necessary. If you want an application-specific solution, workarounds or hand-coded Expect may be more suitable. For example, the following example shows how to allow grep to finish pro- cessing when the cat before it finishes first. Using cat to feed grep would never require unbuffer in real life. It is merely a place- holder for some imaginary process that may or may not finish. Similarly, the final cat at the end of the pipeline is also a placeholder for another process. $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | unbuffer grep abc | cat $ (cat /tmp/abcdef.log ; sleep 1) | unbuffer grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ BUGS
The man page is longer than the program. SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 1 June 1994 UNBUFFER(1)