Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk date and time validation
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk date and time validation Post 302319843 by otheus on Tuesday 26th of May 2009 10:30:58 AM
Old 05-26-2009
Dear Tal,

You started out asking one thing. Now you are asking something else... maybe. Please give an example of what you expect to see happen. When you speak of validation, do you mean a date like 30/02 is invalid because February has only 28 (or 29) days?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time Validation in UNIX?

I am very new to scripting in UNIX and in need of help. I am creating a program that will check a file that has a target time in the form of HH:MM:SS before another program can begin executing. The file with the target time will only have that target time in it and nothing else. Is there any way... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mosammey
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How Can I Do Time Validation in UNIX

I am very new to scripting in UNIX and in need of help. I am creating a program that will check a file that has a target time in the form of HH:MM:SS before another program can begin executing. The file with the target time will only have that target time in it and nothing else. Is there any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mosammey
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK and sub/gsub: updating a date/time block

I have a file ("modtest") in which I want to update the last date/time block in the lines beginning with a period. Here is a sample: .ROMULT 10150908EDT 10270908EDT 10010908EDT RANGE RAWV2 1.00 .ROMULT 10150908EDT 10270908EDT 10010908EDT FGROUP CHOWANRV 1.00 .RRIMULT 10150908EDT... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrismcg24
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk & date time format

This gives: grep "qprt -o -dp -N 1 -P" printfile.log.1216 |awk '{print $7, $9}' |grep lpc1z The output like below: lpc1z /cerner/d_prod/print/ccltemp4235396d030a.dat.tmp.1216075330] lpc1z /cerner/d_prod/print/ccltemp4235396d036a.dat.tmp.1216075634] lpc1z... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date and time range extraction via Awk or analysis script?

Hello does anyone know of an awk that will extract log file entries between a specific date and time range, eg: awk '/15\/Dec\/2010:16:10:00/, /15\/Dec\/2010:16:15:00/' access_log but one that works? Or a free command line log file analysis tool/script? I'd like to be able to view... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: competitions
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk or nawk to convert epoch time to date format

Looking for some help and usually when I do a search this site comes up. Hopefully someone can give me a little direction as to how to use one of these two commands to achieve what I'm trying to do. What am I trying to do? I need to take the time value in epoch format returned from the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: minigts
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date validation

File contains below data,how to validate the date using awk command or any command. date formate is fixed as "YYYYMMDD" test1|20120405 test2|20121405 output should be: test1|20120405 Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Access log field - using awk to pull date/time

hey guys. the following line is a line taken from apache's access_log 10.10.10.10 - jdoe "GET /images/down.gif HTTP/1.1" 304 I'm concerned about the field that has the date and time in it. if assuming the delimiter in the file is a space, then the fourth field will always have the date... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting string date time to unix time in AWK

I'd like to convert a date string in the form of sun aug 19 09:03:10 EDT 2012, to unixtime timestamp using awk. I tried This is how each line of the file looks like, different date and time in this format Sun Aug 19 08:33:45 EDT 2012, user1(108.6.217.236) all: test on the 17th ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkkid
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validate date and time in filename by awk

hi i want to validate the date and time in filename filename : mohan.moh.ccyymmdd.ccyymmdd.hhmmss.txt mohan_moh.20151222.20151222.122442.txt i want code that check that date given in filename 20151222 in this format ccyymmdd else it mark file is not valid used in my OS detail is AIX 6... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: MOHANP12
12 Replies
CHAGE(1)							   User Commands							  CHAGE(1)

NAME
chage - change user password expiry information SYNOPSIS
chage [options] LOGIN DESCRIPTION
The chage command changes the number of days between password changes and the date of the last password change. This information is used by the system to determine when a user must change his/her password. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chage command are: -d, --lastday LAST_DAY Set the number of days since January 1st, 1970 when the password was last changed. The date may also be expressed in the format YYYY-MM-DD (or the format more commonly used in your area). -E, --expiredate EXPIRE_DATE Set the date or number of days since January 1, 1970 on which the user's account will no longer be accessible. The date may also be expressed in the format YYYY-MM-DD (or the format more commonly used in your area). A user whose account is locked must contact the system administrator before being able to use the system again. Passing the number -1 as the EXPIRE_DATE will remove an account expiration date. -h, --help Display help message and exit. -I, --inactive INACTIVE Set the number of days of inactivity after a password has expired before the account is locked. The INACTIVE option is the number of days of inactivity. A user whose account is locked must contact the system administrator before being able to use the system again. Passing the number -1 as the INACTIVE will remove an account's inactivity. -l, --list Show account aging information. -m, --mindays MIN_DAYS Set the minimum number of days between password changes to MIN_DAYS. A value of zero for this field indicates that the user may change his/her password at any time. -M, --maxdays MAX_DAYS Set the maximum number of days during which a password is valid. When MAX_DAYS plus LAST_DAY is less than the current day, the user will be required to change his/her password before being able to use his/her account. This occurrence can be planned for in advance by use of the -W option, which provides the user with advance warning. Passing the number -1 as MAX_DAYS will remove checking a password's validity. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -W, --warndays WARN_DAYS Set the number of days of warning before a password change is required. The WARN_DAYS option is the number of days prior to the password expiring that a user will be warned his/her password is about to expire. If none of the options are selected, chage operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current values for all of the fields. Enter the new value to change the field, or leave the line blank to use the current value. The current value is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The chage program requires a shadow password file to be available. The chage command is restricted to the root user, except for the -l option, which may be used by an unprivileged user to determine when his/her password or account is due to expire. CONFIGURATION
The following configuration variables in /etc/login.defs change the behavior of this tool: FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. EXIT VALUES
The chage command exits with the following values: 0 success 1 permission denied 2 invalid command syntax 15 can't find the shadow password file SEE ALSO
passwd(5), shadow(5). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 CHAGE(1)