Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using arrow keys in shell scripts Post 302319755 by cambridge on Tuesday 26th of May 2009 06:15:39 AM
Old 05-26-2009
Yes, but it doesn't have to be a built-in. From the ksh man page on SuSE:

Quote:
echo [ arg ... ]
When the first arg does not begin with a -, and none of the
arguments contain a \, then echo prints each of its arguments
separated by a space and terminated by a new-line. Otherwise,
the behavior of echo is system dependent and print or printf
described below should be used.
If I want to write a ksh script that has maximum portability, especially when I want to use certain options (e.g. -e or -r), I do not want to be using 'echo'.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trapping Arrow keys

Hey Guys , How do we trap the arrow keys in shell programming. Or atleast can we read the ascii code of the arrow keys. I want to read the arrow keys pressed by the user and accordingly highlight the corresponding menu option. Is it possible in shell to do so ?? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nageshrc
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

arrow keys / special keys

how to use the arrow keys in shell scripting. is there any special synatax / command for this. i just want to use the arrow keys for navigation. replies appreciated raguram R (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raguramtgr
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read arrow keys on really old bash?

I would like to get a script to respond to arrow key presses to scroll up and down a menu. The platform is CDLinux which uses a prehistoric version of bash, version 1.14.7. I would like to do something like "read -sn 1 keyin" but the "read" command is so primative that it only has the -r... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simonb
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Using arrow keys

Hello, I am unable to use the arrow keys in some applications. For example, in bash, I am able to use the arrow keys to to go back and forth characters in current line and search the history--I can do everything you'd expect to be able to do with the arrow keys. However, in bc, I cannot use... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cooldude
4 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

command scrolling using arrow keys

hi, can anyone tell me how to enable arrow keys to scroll thru the commands on command prompt. I am using C shell ( I know, in k shell, set -o vi would enable vi command history, but set -o doesnte exist in c shell) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangi13
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SunOS 5.10 - VI Arrow keys not working

Hi I am working on SunOS 5.10 from remote terminal using putty. Also echo $TERM xterm In vi editor when in insert mode arrow keys are not working for cursor movement instead they print A B C and D. Please help. thanks ravs (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravashingravi
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem using arrow keys in bash shell

hello everybody, as many, I have a problem with a script... I wrote a shell script in which I want to read a variable value. the problem is that I can't use the arrow keys. Here is the script I use : #!/bin/bash stty erase ^H read foune echo "$foune" exit 0; the problem is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moumou
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SSH closes connection when using arrow keys

Hi, I'm having a problem with my ssh link to various Sun servers running Solaris 9 and 10 from an Windows XP box running Cygwin/X. I am using ssh to connect to a number of different Sun servers. My problem is that when editing a remote shell command line with the arrow direction keys the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: stv_t
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tux-HJKL as arrow keys

I would like to configure the key combination Tux-J (Win-J) as Down Arrow, and the rest of the VIM-style movement keys as well (HKL). What is the best way to do this so that it will work in all applications? I thought about editing the keyboard layout but I'm not sure how to do that for Tux-key... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotancohen
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arrow keys binding in AIX v5.3 - how?

Would somebody advise how arrow keys could be binded in AIX v5.3? I could not find reasonable information online related to AIX. I've meat advises to define: alias __A=$'\020' # or the same: alias __A=$(echo "\020") alias __B=$'\016' alias __C=$'\006' alias __D=$'\002' But it does... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies
shell_builtins(1)														 shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)