Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Reset lost superuser/root password in x86 Post 302319724 by kumarmani on Tuesday 26th of May 2009 04:58:44 AM
Old 05-26-2009
As on when I boot it from CDROM, it never ask for any password, and I think once you boot it from any server which is working as boot server I think ideally it shouldn't ask for password, because you are not logging to that system you are taking help of that system to boot some other system in environment . Isn't?

I am sure you are at the right place and you will be getting better view then mine

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Lost root password / Can't login as root

We have quite a few threads about this subject. I have collected some of them and arranged them by the OS which is primarily discussed in the thread. That is because the exact procedure depends on the OS involved. What's more, since you often need to interact with the boot process, the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

2. Linux

how to access root priveliges if root password is lost

wish to know how to access root password it root password is forgotten in linux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wojtyla
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with Lost Root Password

This is a common question im sure... I bought a RS/6000 Model 240. Aix 4.3.3 loaded. No root password was supplied to me, but I do have the install media (4 disks). I want to drop into maint mode. So I place the cd into the drive, restart the box ( by pressing the power button, since i do not have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoeJohnSmith
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Not able to reset mysql root password

Hi, My root password for mysql has some problem as it dosent allow me to login.... all commands to reset it failed. so I removed mysql yum remove mysql and installed it by yum install mysql mysql-devel mysql-server and it installed fine I gave chkconfig --levels 235 mysqld on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: viji19812001
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to reset the ldap root password?

How to change the ldap root password. I have generated the password by using "slappasswd " command, but In my root machine "/etc/ldap/sldap.d" file is not there. instead of the file sldap.d directory only is there. please help me...? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ungalnanban
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Fedora reset root password

I need some help with Fedora. I am trying to reset the root password. When I tried to login I was not able to. I kept getting the authentication failure message. I got the password reset success message. passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully. I then thought maybe the root... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Lost Root Password on VXVM Encapsulated Root Disk

Hi All Hope it's okay to post on this sub-forum, couldn't find a better place I've got a 480R running solaris 8 with veritas volume manager managing all filesystems, including an encapsulated root disk (I believe the root disk is encapsulated as one of the root mirror disks has an entry under... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunnyd76
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux root Password Reset

Hi , I ve a question about the Linux system root password change. Which can be done using grub menu without inputting the old password.:confused: So If anybody can change the root password without any password and then how it is secure. Anybody can manipulate the other user using the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradyumnajpn10
6 Replies
SYSTEMD-ASK-PASSWORD-CONSOLE.SERVICE(8) 	       systemd-ask-password-console.service		   SYSTEMD-ASK-PASSWORD-CONSOLE.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-ask-password-console.service, systemd-ask-password-console.path, systemd-ask-password-wall.service, systemd-ask-password-wall.path - Query the user for system passwords on the console and via wall SYNOPSIS
systemd-ask-password-console.service systemd-ask-password-console.path systemd-ask-password-wall.service systemd-ask-password-wall.path DESCRIPTION
systemd-ask-password-console.service is a system service that queries the user for system passwords (such as hard disk encryption keys and SSL certificate passphrases) on the console. It is intended to be used during boot to ensure proper handling of passwords necessary for boot. systemd-ask-password-wall.service is a system service that informs all logged in users for system passwords via wall(1). It is intended to be used after boot to ensure that users are properly notified. See the developer documentation[1] for more information about the system password logic. Note that these services invoke systemd-tty-ask-password-agent(1) with either the --watch --console or --watch --wall command line parameters. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-tty-ask-password-agent(1), wall(1) NOTES
1. developer documentation https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PasswordAgents systemd 237 SYSTEMD-ASK-PASSWORD-CONSOLE.SERVICE(8)