Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Why do I need to call make if I call gcc ? Post 302319689 by pludi on Tuesday 26th of May 2009 03:47:06 AM
Old 05-26-2009
BIG difference. gcc is the compiler. make defines a series of commands needed to build a project.

You can compile a single file just by calling gcc (or any other compiler):
Code:
$ gcc -Wall -s -o hello hello.c

But as soon as you have to handle multiple files (say if you split your project for easier maintenance), make becomes an invaluable tool.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to differentiate system call from library call

Hi, Ho do I differentiate system call from library call? for example if I am using chmod , how do I find out if it is a system call or library call? Thanks Muru (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muru
2 Replies

2. Infrastructure Monitoring

diffrence between method call and function call in perl

Hello, I have a problem with package and name space. require "/Mehran/DSGateEngineLib/general.pl"; use strict; sub System_Status_Main_Service_Status_Intrusion_Prevention { my %idpstatus; my @result; &General_ReadHash("/var/dsg/idp/settings",\%idpstatus); #print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaxon
4 Replies

3. Programming

gcc 4.3.2 accept sys call warrning incompatible pointer type

Hi all, this warning is driving me nuts. I use -pedantic with -Wall and -Werror so this needs to be fixed. BUILD: GNU-Linux-x86 Any ideas? struct sockaddr_in server_addr; int addr_len = sizeof (server_addr); fd = accept(link->socket_fd, (struct sockaddr_in *)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: personificator
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

system call

Hi, How to write a system calls in a script ? > cd $HOME > ls -ltr thanks in advance.. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: hegdeshashi
10 Replies

5. Programming

C:system call

Hi I'm studing the system call. I've written a small program that return the time spent in doing some operations. Now I'd like to write one that return the time spent in user mode of a process. I'm reading that i should use the tms struct: clock_t times(struct tms *buf); struct tms {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run script? call other script? su to another user? make a cron?

Good morning. I am searching for "how-to"'s for some particular questions: 1. How to write a script in HP-UX 11. 2. How to schedule a script. 3. How to "call" scripts from the original script. 4. How to su to another user from within a script. This is the basics of what the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: instant000
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to make system call results in no action

I am trying to communicate with the kernel through the /proc filesystem. I have written abc to my def module. But on doing cat cat /proc/def, I am not able to see "abc". Here is my code: #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> int main (int argc,char **argv) { char mystr;... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AKD
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call a batch file in Make file?

Hii I wanna call a batch file from a make file. Doesn't work , what is the procedure to do this.? Any idea thanks:eek: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script from makefile - it is called each time i call make

I've created a tag in the makefile: mytag: $(shell ${PWD}/script.sh) When i do: make clean - the script is executed When i perform make or make mytag the script is again executed with the output: make: Nothing to be done for mytag What i want ? I want script.sh to be executed only... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pufo
0 Replies
BUILDER-CC(1)							 Debian GNU/Linux						     BUILDER-CC(1)

NAME
builder-cc - gcc wrapper to facilitate pentium-optimizations SYNOPSIS
export DEBIAN_BUILDARCH=architecture export DEBIAN_BUILDGCCVER=gcc-version gcc ... DESCRIPTION
The builder-cc wrapper is normally used by calling gcc as usual. If the environment variable DEBIAN_BUILDARCH is not set, builder-cc does nothing, and the real gcc is invoked with the specified arguments. When the DEBIAN_BUILDARCH environment variable is set, builder-cc invokes gcc with the specified arguments, plus -mcpu=DEBIAN_BUILDARCH -march=DEBIAN_BUILDARCH This has the effect of telling gcc to use architecture-specific optimizations without changing the command line. This is particularly useful for package builds. If DEBIAN_BUILDGCCVER is not set, builder-cc calls gcc.real. If DEBIAN_BUILDGCCVER is set, builder-cc calls gcc-DEBIAN_BUILDGCCVER instead. ENVIRONMENT
DEBIAN_BUILDARCH If set, the architecture to compile for. Useful values are pentium or pentiumpro. DEBIAN_BUILDGCCVER If set, the version of gcc to be invoked. Useful values are 3.0 or 2.95. NOTES
The real gcc is renamed gcc.real, and a diversion is registered with dpkg-divert(1). Thus builder-cc's idea of the default gcc is dictated by whatever package installed /usr/bin/gcc. SEE ALSO
gcc(1) Debian Project 2002-03-02 BUILDER-CC(1)