Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers learning UNIX on a Windows 2000 machine? Post 302319681 by ghostdog74 on Tuesday 26th of May 2009 03:28:19 AM
Old 05-26-2009
if you are familiar with Solaris, you can download opensolaris and run it on vmware. To learn Perl, you can just download the windows version of it.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix to Windows 2000 printing over the internet

I need help printing to the Windows 2000 Pro environement from a Unix box, that the Windows 2000 system dials into via a ISP. We are still waiting for our T1 line to be installed but will need to know if that process will change when that is installed. I know that you can print from Windows 2000... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: supportit
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX problem? Unix programm runs windows 2000 CPU over 100%

Okee problems...!! What is happening: Unix server with some programms, workstations are windows 2000, the workstations work good but when you start a programm on the Unix server the CPU of the workstations go to 100% usage resulting that the system gets very slow. The programm well its running so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerocool
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix with Windows 2000

Hey! I have just acquired a Unisys SMP6400 server. It has Unix already installed. It has 2 disk drives: 1 is 2 gig with Unix setup on it. The 2nd drive is 8 gig with apps. Both drives are under Mylex DAC960 raid control. Here is my question, can I install Windows 2000 Pro on this machine either... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastermold
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix versus Windows 2000

Does anyone know where I might find info on Unix versus Windows 2000 with information pertaining to support, networks, hardware, software? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bnite
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a Unix Server to a Windows 2000 Network

Hi everyone Firstly I apologise for my total lack of knowledge about UNIX. Its unfortunately something I have never had any exposure to (Until Now). I administer a smallish Windows 2000 network with all the usual bits and pieces that involves, and have been given the task of joining a Unix... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maestro
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

missing Path(in UNIX) when i launch a job on to unix machine using windows SSh

hi i want run an unix application from a windows program/application.i am using SSH(command line version)to log on to a unix machine from windows. the application has to read a configuration file inorder to run. the configuration file .CFG is in bin in my home directory. but the application... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megastar
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP from UNIX (AIX) to Windows 2000 server

Hi all, I have to sftp a file (put) from AIX server to Windows 2000 server. The question is Windows 200 server that i am using doesnt have any SFTP server , if so i know we need to install one. The question here is for writing a sftp script that as to run everyday as part of cron job we... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddymails
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run UNIX commands for practice in Windows 2000 OS?

How to run UNIX commands for practice in Windows 2000 OS? If you suggest to install Cygwin, please let me know the procedure to install, or else I feel happy if you suggest any stand alone app for running UNIX commands..:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Srikanthk
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp from windows to unix using a perl script on unix machine

i need to ftp a file from windows to a unix machine by executing a sript(perl/shell/php) from that unix machine.i can also use HTML and javascript to build forms. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raksha.s
3 Replies
zsync(1)							   File Transfer							  zsync(1)

NAME
zsync - Partial/differential file download client over HTTP SYNTAX
zsync [ -u url ] [ -i inputfile ] [ -o outputfile ] [ { -s | -q } ] [ -k file.zsync ] [ -A hostname=username:password ] { filename | url } zsync -V DESCRIPTION
Downloads a file over HTTP. zsync uses a control file to determine whether any blocks in the file are already known to the downloader, and only downloads the new blocks. Either a filename or a URL can be given on the command line - this is the path of the control file for the download, which normally has the name of the actual file to downlaod with .zsync appended. (To create this .zsync file you have to have a copy of the target file, so this file should be generated by the person providing the download). zsync downloads to your current directory. It looks for any file in the directory of the same name as the file to download. If it finds one, it assumes that this is an earlier or incomplete version of the new file to download, and scans this file for any blocks that it can use to build the target file. (It also looks for a file of the same name with .part appended, so it will automatically find previously interrupted zsync downloads and reuse the data already downloaded. If you know that the local file to use as input has a different name, you must use -i) zsync retrieves the rest of the target file over HTTP. Once the download is finished, the old version (if the new file wants the same name) is moved aside (a .zs-old extension is appended). The modification time of the file is set to be the same as the remote source file (if specified in the .zsync). OPTIONS
-A hostname=username:password Specifies a username and password to be used with the given hostname. -A can be used multiple times (with different hostnames), in cases where e.g. the .zsync file is on a different server from the download, or there are multiple download servers (there could be different auth details for different servers - and zsync never assumes that your password should be sent to a server other than the one named - otherwise redirects would be dangerous!). -i inputfile Specifies (extra) input files. inputfile is scanned to identify blocks in common with the target file and zsync uses any blocks found. Can be used multiple times. -k file.zsync Indicates that zsync should save the zsync file that it downloads, with the given filename. If that file already exists, then zsync will make a conditional request to the web server, such that it will only download it again if the server's copy is newer. zsync will append .part to the filename for storing it while it is downloading, and will only overwrite the main file once the download is done - and if the download is interrupted, it will resume using the data in the .part file. -o outputfile Override the default output file name. -q Suppress the progress bar, download rate and ETA display. -s Deprecated synonym for -q. -u url This specifies the referring URL. If you have a .zsync file locally (if you downloaded it separately, with wget, say) and the .zsync file contains a relative URL, you need to specify where you got the .zsync file from so that zsync knows which server and path to use for the rest of the download (this is analogous to adding a <base href="..."> to a downloaded web page to make the links work). -V Prints the version of zsync. FILES
ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
http_proxy Should be the [http://]hostname:port for your web proxy, if one is required to access the target web server(s). EXAMPLES
zsync -i /var/lib/apt/lists/server.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_main_binary-i386_Packages http://zsync.moria.org.uk/s/etch/Packages.zsync AUTHORS
Colin Phipps <cph@moria.org.uk> SEE ALSO
zsyncmake(1) Colin Phipps 0.6.2 zsync(1)