Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting repeated strings in column 2 Post 302319638 by cgkmal on Tuesday 26th of May 2009 01:27:09 AM
Old 05-26-2009
Hey guys, thanks for your help. I tested both solutions, but I would like to
do a mix between them.

For panyam solution I get unique lines but not joined like

Code:

Subject: Summarized Report->GHH_M55 May 21 2009 4:45PM, YUP_M19 May 18 2009 7:45PM, WON_M123 May 17 2009 11:22AM, CET_M123 May 15 2009 9:12AM

and for devtakh solution I get the solution like a joined sentence, but including repeated items.

I replace in your code the part
Code:
a[$2]=$2" "$3...

to
Code:
a[$2]=substr($2,1,length($2)-1)" "$3...

But from here I´m not sure how to present uniques lines in a joined sentence.

One more thing:

Assuming I have 2 scripts how to choose Script1 if "Subject" contains "Summarized Availability Report" within?

Thanks again,

Best regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

repeated column data filter and make as a row

I need to get the output in row wise for the repeated column data Ex: Input: que = five ans = 5 que = six ans = 6 Required output: que = five six ans = 5 6 Any body can guide me?"""""" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanth_vadalur
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete repeated strings (tags) in a line and concatenate corresponding words

Hello friends! Each line of my input file has this format: word<TAB>tag1<blankspace>lemma<TAB>tag2<blankspace>lemma ... <TAB>tag3<blankspace>lemma Of this file I need to eliminate all the repeated tags (of the same word) in a line, as in the example here below, but conserving both (all) the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjomba
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Average for repeated elements in a column

I have a file that looks like this 452 025_E3 8 025_E3 82 025_F5 135 025_F5 5 025_F5 23 025_G2 38 025_G2 71 025_G2 9 026_A12 81 026_A12 10 026_A12 some of the elements in column2 are repeated. I want an output file that will extract the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FelipeAd
1 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

[Solved] Extract records based on a repeated column value

Hi guys, I need help in making a command to find some data. I have multiple files in which multiple records are present.. Each record is separated with a carriage return and in each record there are multiple fields with each field separated by "|" what i want is that I want to extract... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: m_usmanayub
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding most repeated entry in a column and giving the count

Please can you help in providing the most repeated entry in the 2nd column and give its count Here is an input file 1, This , is a forum 2, This , is a forum 1, There , is a forum 2, This , is not right Here the most repeated entry is "This" and count is 3 So output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: necro98
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting repeated lines by keeping only one.

Dear Buddies, Need ur help once again. I have a flat file with around 20 million lines (Huge file it is). However, many of the lines are of no use hence I want to remove it. To find and delete such lines we have certain codes written at the starting of each line. Basis that we can delete the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting the most repeated column

Hi all , i want to get the most repeated column in my file File: name,ID adam,12345 ----1 adam,12345 ----2 adam,934 adam,12345 ----3 john,14 john,13 john,25 ----1 john,25 ----2 tom,1 -----1 tom,2 -----1 so my output to be (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: teefa
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Joining ends of strings in certain order with repeated ID's

I posted this a few days ago and got some help (Putting together substrings if pattern is matched - Page 2 | Unix Linux Forums | Shell Programming and Scripting) But I am now stuck on an issue that is similar but not the same really. I want to join parts of one line with parts of another line... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: verse123
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append no of times a column is repeated at the end

Hi folks, Iam working on a bash script, i need to print how many times column 2 repeated at the end of each line. Input.txt COL1 COL2 COL3 COL4 1 XX 45 N 2 YY 34 y 3 ZZ 44 N 4 XX 89 Y 5 XX 45 N 6 YY 84 D 7 ZZ 22 S Output.txt COL1 COL2 COL3 COL4 COL5 1 XX 45 N 3 2 YY 34... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help tabulating file putting repeated strings as headers

Hi. May somebody help me with this. I´m trying to tabulate the following input file, but the desired output I´m getting is incorrect. I have access to GNU/LINUX (Ubuntu) and Cygwin Input file STAGE = 1 ID = 0 NAME = JFMSC TYPE = MLRR DFRUL = PERMISSION ADDR = 1001 RRUL =... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
10 Replies
FMT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    FMT(1)

NAME
fmt -- simple text formatter SYNOPSIS
fmt [-cmnps] [-d chars] [-l num] [-t num] [goal [maximum] | -width | -w width] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The fmt utility is a simple text formatter which reads the concatenation of input files (or standard input if none are given) and produces on standard output a version of its input with lines as close to the goal length as possible without exceeding the maximum. The goal length defaults to 65 and the maximum to 10 more than the goal length. Alternatively, a single width parameter can be specified either by prepend- ing a hyphen to it or by using -w. For example, ``fmt -w 72'', ``fmt -72'', and ``fmt 72 72'' all produce identical output. The spacing at the beginning of the input lines is preserved in the output, as are blank lines and interword spacing. Lines are joined or split only at white space; that is, words are never joined or hyphenated. The options are as follows: -c Center the text, line by line. In this case, most of the other options are ignored; no splitting or joining of lines is done. -m Try to format mail header lines contained in the input sensibly. -n Format lines beginning with a '.' (dot) character. Normally, fmt does not fill these lines, for compatibility with nroff(1). -p Allow indented paragraphs. Without the -p flag, any change in the amount of whitespace at the start of a line results in a new para- graph being begun. -s Collapse whitespace inside lines, so that multiple whitespace characters are turned into a single space. (Or, at the end of a sen- tence, a double space.) -d chars Treat the chars (and no others) as sentence-ending characters. By default the sentence-ending characters are full stop ('.'), ques- tion mark ('?') and exclamation mark ('!'). Remember that some characters may need to be escaped to protect them from your shell. -l number Replace multiple spaces with tabs at the start of each output line, if possible. Each number spaces will be replaced with one tab. The default is 8. If number is 0, spaces are preserved. -t number Assume that the input files' tabs assume number spaces per tab stop. The default is 8. The fmt utility is meant to format mail messages prior to sending, but may also be useful for other simple tasks. For instance, within vis- ual mode of the ex(1) editor (e.g., vi(1)) the command !}fmt will reformat a paragraph, evening the lines. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of fmt as described in environ(7). SEE ALSO
fold(1), mail(1), nroff(1) HISTORY
The fmt command appeared in 3BSD. The version described herein is a complete rewrite and appeared in FreeBSD 4.4. AUTHORS
Kurt Shoens Liz Allen (added goal length concept) Gareth McCaughan BUGS
The program was designed to be simple and fast - for more complex operations, the standard text processors are likely to be more appropriate. When the first line of an indented paragraph is very long (more than about twice the goal length), the indentation in the output can be wrong. The fmt utility is not infallible in guessing what lines are mail headers and what lines are not. BSD
August 2, 2004 BSD