Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help in string extraction using regular expressions Post 302319498 by durden_tyler on Monday 25th of May 2009 10:58:24 AM
Old 05-25-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatraga
I am trying to extract the text after a matching pattern from a url using regular expression.
Ex:
Code:
http://locatlhost:2020/proxy/checkthisout

You can use regular expressions with more than one command.

Using plain old bash shell:

Code:
$
$ URL="http://localhost:2020/proxy/checkthisout"
$
$ echo ${URL##*/}
checkthisout
$
$ echo `expr "$URL" : '.*/\(.*$\)'`
checkthisout
$

Using perl:

Code:
$
$ echo "http://locatlhost:2020/proxy/checkthisout" | perl -ne 's#.*/##; print'
checkthisout
$

Using awk:

Code:
$
$ echo "http://locatlhost:2020/proxy/checkthisout" | awk 'sub(/.*\//,"")'
checkthisout
$

tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

regular expressions in c++

How do I use the regular expressions in c++? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: szzz
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expressions

Hello, Let say I have a string with content "Free 100%". How can extract only "100" using ksh? I would this machanism to work if instead of "100" there is any kind of combination of numbers(ex. "32", "1238", "1"). I want to get only the digits. I have written something like this: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatever
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expressions

how to find for a file whose name has all characters in uppercase after 'project'? I tried this: find . -name 'project**.pdf' ./projectABC.pdf ./projectABC123.pdf I want only ./projectABC.pdf What is the regular expression that correponds to "all characters are capital"? thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Regular Expressions

Hi, below is a piece of code written by my predecessor at work. I'm kind of a newbie and am trying to figure out all the regular expressions in this piece of code. It is really a tough time for me to figure out all the regular expressions. Please shed some light on the regular expressions... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract text from string using regular expressions

Hi, I'm trying to use sed to extract some text and assign it to a variable. Can anyone provide me with some help? it would be much appreciated! I"m looking to extract for example: filename=/output/R34/2005_13_R34_C1042S_T83_CRFTXT_20081015.txt I'm trying to extract the 1042... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtung
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with Regular Expressions

Hi, In ksh, I am trying to compare folder names having -141- in it's name. e.g.: 4567-141-8098 should match this expression '*-141-*' but, -141-2354 should fail when compared with '*-141-*' simlarly, abc should fail when compared with '*-141-*' I tried multiple things but nevertheless,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jidsh
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular expressions

In regular expressions with grep(or egrep), ^ works if we want something in starting of line..but what if we write ^^^ or ^ for pattern matching??..Hope u all r familiar with regular expressions for pattern matching.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aadi_uni
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

#!/usr/bin/perl $word = "one last challenge"; if ( $word =~ /^(\w+).*\s(\w+)$/ ) { print "$1"; print "\n"; print "$2"; } The output shows that "$1" is with result one and "$2" is with result challenge. I am confused about how this pattern match expression works step by step. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidHe
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

what elements does " /^/ " match? I did the test which indicates that it matches single lowercase character like 'a','b' etc. and '1','2' etc. But I really confused with that. Because, "/^abc/" matches strings like "abcedf" or "abcddddee". So, what does caret ^ really mean? Any response... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidHe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

Hi Ilove unix and alwyas trying to to learn unix,but i am weak in using regular expressions.can you please give me a littel brief discription that how can i understand them and how to use .your response could lead a great hand in my unix love. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj attri
1 Replies
YAZ-URL(1)							     Commands								YAZ-URL(1)

NAME
yaz-url - YAZ URL fetch utility SYNOPSIS
yaz-url [-H name:value] [-m method] [-O fname] [-p fname] [-u user/password] [-x proxy] [url...] DESCRIPTION
yaz-url is utility to get web content. It is very limited in functionality compared to programs such as curl, wget. The options must be precede the URL given on the command line to take effect. Fetched HTTP content is written to stdout, unless option -O is given. OPTIONS
-H name:value Specifies HTTP header content with name and value. This option can be given multiple times (for different names, of course). -m method Specifies the HTTP method to be used for the next URL. Default is method "GET". However, option -p sets it to "POST". -O fname Sets output filename for HTTP content. -p fname Sets a file to be POSTed in the folloing URL. -u user/password Specifies a user and a password to be uesd in HTTP basic authentication in the following URL fetch. The user and password must be separated by a slash (this it is not possible to specify a user with a slash in it). -x proxy Specifies a proxy to be used for URL fetch. SEE ALSO
yaz(7) YAZ 4.2.30 04/16/2012 YAZ-URL(1)