Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Infrastructure Monitoring Need to kill processes from a specific location Post 302319495 by Peuj on Monday 25th of May 2009 10:54:34 AM
Old 05-25-2009
Need to kill processes from a specific location

Hi,

I need to kill processes from a specific location for Linux, HP, AIX and Solaris.
My problem is to be able to identify the location of the running processes.

I've tried with a simple "ps -fu username | grep mylocation" but if the process command has been run directly from the location, the location is not shown.

I've tried also to retrieve the location from the "/proc/pid" path but this doesn't work for HP.

So now I'm lost. Does anyboy known a solution for this ?

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill all processes

i have a very short file that has in it a line for a find command. now, when i run this script and I kill the script later, using the ps -ef | grep scriptname. i noticed kill -9 kills the script itself but does not kill the internal find command that it gave birth to. say theres a file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Terrible
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kill several processes at a time

Hello, ps -C a* returns the list of the process I need to kill. but ps -C a* -o pid | kill does not work and I can't get the syntax right. Thanks for any help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JCR
4 Replies

3. Solaris

kill processes

how to kill the processes of aperticular user? because i have nearly 25000 process are there for perticular user. i need to kill. Please provide the information? Regards, Rajesh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmrajesh21
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

Read/kill processes

Hi, I read a set of processes with: ps -eaf|grep oracleTRLV The result is: oracle 23253 1 0 15:14:11 ? 0:00 oracleTRLV (LOCAL=NO) oracle 23301 1 0 15:15:07 ? 0:00 oracleTRLV (LOCAL=NO) oracle 22914 1 0 15:11:19 ? 0:00 oracleTRLV (LOCAL=NO) How to I kill the "oracleTRLV" ones? Is there... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: NicoMan
17 Replies

5. Solaris

kill the processes seen under ptree

Hi, How to kill the processes running under ptree ? I am noticing lot of processes running under ptree with ssh ? I tried to kill with -9 option which is not working ? Thanks, Radhika. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhirk
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill processes

for i in 'ps -f | grep textedit' do kill $i done I wrote this but it wont work. I am trying to find processes and kill them. Any help would be welcome. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hawaiifiver
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill all user processes

Hi there, i've been searching all over and i thought i had understood the way i should go to kill all the processes related to a user. But i'm getting more confused then i was. By lunch time i have to make a database backup, and for that all the users shoul logout. The problem is that many users... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vascobrito
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace a string a specific value in specific location in AIX

Hi, I have following samp.txt file in unix. samp.txt 01Roy2D3M000000 02Rad2D3M222222 . . . . 10Mik0A2M343443 Desired Output 01Roy2A3M000000 02Rad2A3M222222 . . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill multiple processes by name

Want to kill multiple processes by name. for the example below, I want to kill all 'proxy-stagerd_copy' processes. I tried this but didn't work: >> ps -ef|grep proxy_copy root 991 986 0 14:45:34 ? 0:04 proxy-stagerd root 1003 991 0 14:45:49 ? 0:01... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalinawinemxr
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies
MIGRATEPAGES(8) 					   Linux Administrator's Manual 					   MIGRATEPAGES(8)

NAME
migratepages - Migrate the physical location a processes pages SYNOPSIS
migratepages pid from-nodes to-nodes DESCRIPTION
migratepages moves the physical location of a processes pages without any changes of the virtual address space of the process. Moving the pages allows one to change the distances of a process to its memory. Performance may be optimized by moving a processes pages to the node where it is executing. If multiple nodes are specified for from-nodes or to-nodes then an attempt is made to preserve the relative location of each page in each nodeset. For example if we move from nodes 2-5 to 7,9,12-13 then the preferred mode of operation is to move pages from 2->7, 3->9, 4->12 and 5->13. However, this is only posssible if enough memory is available. Valid node specifiers all All nodes number Node number number1{,number2} Node number1 and Node number2 number1-number2 Nodes from number1 to number2 ! nodes Invert selection of the following specification. NOTES
Requires an NUMA policy aware kernel with support for page migration (linux 2.6.16 and later). migratepages will only move pages that are not shared with other processes if called by a user without administrative priviledges (but with the right to modify the process). migratepages will move all pages if invoked from root (or a user with administrative priviledges). FILES
/proc/<pid>/numa_maps for information about the NUMA memory use of a process. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2005-2006 Christoph Lameter, Silicon Graphics, Inc. migratepages is under the GNU General Public License, v.2 SEE ALSO
numactl(8) , set_mempolicy(2) , get_mempolicy(2) , mbind(2) , sched_setaffinity(2) , sched_getaffinity(2) , proc(5) , ftok(3) , shmat(2) , taskset(1) SGI
Jan 2005 MIGRATEPAGES(8)