Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to view last line of multiple files Post 302319210 by methyl on Sunday 24th of May 2009 04:23:06 PM
Old 05-24-2009
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
for filename in "file 1" "file 2" "file 3"
do
         # If there is anything in the file, show which file and the last line
         if [ -s "${filename}" ]
         then
                 ls -lad "${filename}"
                 # tail hyphen one shows the last line
                 tail -1 "${filename}"
                 echo ""
         fi
done

Last edited by methyl; 05-24-2009 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple view of Apsedic to ASCII.

dd conv=ascii if=100.PCN of=foo On paging the 'foo' file i get conversion of the selected file. How can I get multiple 100.PCN's into 1 'foo' file. Usually all my work related files have an extension of .PCN or 001. Upon selecting if=*.* No ouput file is generated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: buRst
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Eliminate first line of multiple files

hi gurus ,, I have multiple files with same file pattern..in a particular directory for ex: file20061101.trf file20061102.trf file20061103.trf Each of the file has a header as column names.. My questions is how can i eliminate the first row of each of these... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sish78
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending same tring to multiple files in one line?

I have a string that I need to append to 3 files. Say, $ echo "Hello" I want to append this “Hello” to three files, file1, file2 and file3.The files are all in different directories and the file names have no common pattern.Can I do it in one line? If yes, how? :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zombiezparadize
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: cat multiple files together except first line?

Hopefully the title summarized what I need help with. I have multiple files that I would like to concatenate in bash. ie: cat file1 file2 file3 > bigfile except I do not want to include the first line from each file (). Any help? Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanimfj
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding nth line across multiple files

I have several files (around 50) that have the similar format. I need to extract the 5th line from every file and output that into a text file. So far, I have been able to figure out how to do it for a single file: $ awk 'NR==5' text1.txt > results.txt OR $ sed -n '5p' text1.txt > results.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oriqin
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to View multiple Cron jobs

Hi, I ran two crontab commands using: crontab program1 crontab program2 However when I type crontab -l only the second cron job shows up, how do I see all cron jobs running and how do I edit all at the same time Thanks in Advance S:D (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: walforum
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert filename into each line of multiple files

I need to insert <filename + comma> into each line of multiple files. Any idea how to script that? Regards, Manu (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux.yahoo
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Want to change common line from multiple files

Hi everyone, I've a requirement to modify an existing line which is common to multiple files. I need to replace that existing line with a new line. I've almost 900 ksh files to edit in the similar fashion in the same directory. Example: Existing Line: . $HOME/.eff.env (notice the "." at the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaleem.adil
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert a line into multiple files

HI All, I want to know if it is possible to print the same message but into 2 different files in the same command? Something like . .. ... echo "Text" >> file1 && file2 this is because i creating a script which i use a log but i don't want to duplicate lines of command just to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lordseiya
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl command line option '-n','-p' and multiple files: can it know a file name of a printed line?

I am looking for help in processing of those options: '-n' or '-p' I understand what they do and how to use them. But, I would like to use them with more than one file (and without any shell-loop; loading the 'perl' once.) I did try it and -n works on 2 files. Question is: - is it possible to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies
TAIL(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   TAIL(1)

NAME
tail -- display the last part of a file SYNOPSIS
tail [-F | -f | -r] [-q] [-b number | -c number | -n number] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The tail utility displays the contents of file or, by default, its standard input, to the standard output. The display begins at a byte, line or 512-byte block location in the input. Numbers having a leading plus ('+') sign are relative to the beginning of the input, for example, ``-c +2'' starts the display at the second byte of the input. Numbers having a leading minus ('-') sign or no explicit sign are relative to the end of the input, for example, ``-n 2'' displays the last two lines of the input. The default start- ing location is ``-n 10'', or the last 10 lines of the input. The options are as follows: -b number The location is number 512-byte blocks. -c number The location is number bytes. -f The -f option causes tail to not stop when end of file is reached, but rather to wait for additional data to be appended to the input. The -f option is ignored if the standard input is a pipe, but not if it is a FIFO. -F The -F option implies the -f option, but tail will also check to see if the file being followed has been renamed or rotated. The file is closed and reopened when tail detects that the filename being read from has a new inode number. If the file being followed does not (yet) exist or if it is removed, tail will keep looking and will display the file from the begin- ning if and when it is created. The -F option is the same as the -f option if reading from standard input rather than a file. -n number The location is number lines. -q Suppresses printing of headers when multiple files are being examined. -r The -r option causes the input to be displayed in reverse order, by line. Additionally, this option changes the meaning of the -b, -c and -n options. When the -r option is specified, these options specify the number of bytes, lines or 512-byte blocks to display, instead of the bytes, lines or blocks from the beginning or end of the input from which to begin the display. The default for the -r option is to display all of the input. If more than a single file is specified, each file is preceded by a header consisting of the string ``==> XXX <=='' where XXX is the name of the file unless -q flag is specified. EXIT STATUS
The tail utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
To display the last 500 lines of the file foo: $ tail -n 500 foo Keep /var/log/messages open, displaying to the standard output anything appended to the file: $ tail -f /var/log/messages SEE ALSO
cat(1), head(1), sed(1) STANDARDS
The tail utility is expected to be a superset of the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. In particular, the -F, -b and -r options are extensions to that standard. The historic command line syntax of tail is supported by this implementation. The only difference between this implementation and historic versions of tail, once the command line syntax translation has been done, is that the -b, -c and -n options modify the -r option, i.e., ``-r -c 4'' displays the last 4 characters of the last line of the input, while the historic tail (using the historic syntax ``-4cr'') would ignore the -c option and display the last 4 lines of the input. HISTORY
A tail command appeared in PWB UNIX. BSD
March 16, 2013 BSD