Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash script: issue changing directories in script Post 302319197 by bakunin on Sunday 24th of May 2009 03:43:58 PM
Old 05-24-2009
first off: you don't need the "cd" statement at all. And secondly, you should NEVER EVER iterate through an unknown directory with a for-loop: if the number of directory entries becomes higher you will execeed the maximum command line length and your script will fail. write it the following way:

Code:
ls ${2}/* | while read filename ; do
     do_something "$filename"
done

Another problem is the "./search.sh" you mention at the end of your code snippet. You know that you are in some arbitrary directory and not the one you have started the script in, yes?

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script to display directories in Path?

Hello there, As a newbie: The directories in PATH can be hard to distinguish when printed out as one line with colon .Please, can i have a sample script to display them,one to a line. Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: debut
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

(w)get web server's directories + bash script

Hi everyone. I need to write a script which will download files/folders (a huge collection) to the local file server (centOS 4.4 Server), and check regularly (every 6 hours or so if any new files are present, or if the old ones were modified to update contents). Any insights on how to tackle... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reminiscent
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script to Read & Write on different directories

Hi, root@server] df -h 121G 14G 101G 12% /home 147G 126G 14G 91% /backup We having our site files and images are storing in /backup/home/user/files/ through symbolic link created in /home directory pointing in /backup directory as following. root@server] cd /home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mirfan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script to rename multiple directories

Hello I have a directory structure with year in format 4 digits, e.g 2009, below which is month format 1 or 2 digits, e.g 1 or 12, blow which is day format 1 or 2 digits, e.g 1 or 31. I want to change the names of lots of directories to the be Year - 4 digits , e.g 2009 - No change here... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: garethsays
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing File Time Stamp (Bash Script)

I need some help recovering from a "slight" screwup. We just moved 3 TB of data from one RAID Array to another. Low lever archive files. This was done with a regular cp (for some reason) and now we have lost all the timestamps on the files, and we urgently need to get the timestamps back on these... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chj
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing cron using bash script

How can I change the cron entries only for ABC and XYZ from dosomething_1.0.sh to nowchanged_2.0 using a bash script ? Any help will be appreciated. # # ABC 00,05,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /mydir/dosomething_1.0.sh 1>/dev/null 2>&1 # # ## # DEF... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Chose list of sub directories in a bash script file

Hi, I have a command in my bash script, searchDirectoryName.sh: DIR_NAME=$(find . -type d) echo "${DIR_NAME}" . ./Dir1 ./Dir1/1.0.2.1 ./Dir2 ./Dir2/1.1 ./Dir3 ./Dir3/2.2.1 How can I select only following directory names with second subdirectoies and without first ./ in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing script from csh to bash

Hello Guys I have a script working fine on csh, but I would like to change it to bash, how I should change this command to be able to work as bash script. :wall: if ( $fsw > "0" ) then foreach swath ( `awk 'BEGIN {for (i='$fsw';i<='$lsw';i++) printf ("%s\n", i) }'` ) ## work to be done... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Connecting and changing variables in Bash script

#!/bin/bash X=$(</home/cogiz/computerhand.txt) # (3S 8C 2H 6D QC 8S 4H 5H) Y=$(</home/cogiz/topcardinplay.txt) # KS A=( "${Y::1}" ) B=( "${Y:1}" ) for e in ${X}; do if ]; then # searching for valid cards K,S or 8 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cogiz
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing date using bash script

I am trying to change dates in a bash script. I have a start time and an endtime and want to increment the times. Basically the month and day have to be incremented in a loop to create two strings, stm and etm defining the start and end times. stm="2014-05-13T00:00:00"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: novilatte
4 Replies
asadmin-start-appserv(1AS)					   User Commands					asadmin-start-appserv(1AS)

NAME
asadmin-start-appserv, start-appserv - starts thedomains in the specified or default domains directory SYNOPSIS
start-appserv [--domaindir install_dir/domains] [--terse=false] [--echo=false] DESCRIPTION
This command has been deprecated. Please use start-domain to start the domains in the specified or default domains directory. start-appserv starts the domains in the specified or default domains direcotry. If the domains directory is not specified, the domains in the default domains directory are started. The default domains directory is install_dir/domains. This command can only be run locally. OPTIONS
--domaindir directory where the domains are started. If specified, path must be accessible in the filesystem. If not specified, the domains are started in the default install_dir/domains directory. --terse indicates that any output data must be very concise, typically avoiding human-friendly sentences and favoring well- formatted data for consumption by a script. Default is false. --echo setting to true will echo the command line statement on the standard output. Default is false. EXIT STATUS
0 command executed successfully 1 error in executing the command asadmin-create-domain(1AS), asadmin-start-domain(1AS), asadmin-stop-domain(1AS), asadmin-delete-domain(1AS), asadmin-list-domains(1AS) J2EE 1.4 SDK March 2004 asadmin-start-appserv(1AS)