Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unable to access variable outside loop Post 302319093 by cfajohnson on Saturday 23rd of May 2009 10:38:52 PM
Old 05-23-2009

You are using an old Bourne shell (perhaps /bin/sh on Solaris?).

Switch to a standard UNIX shell (/usr/xpg4/bin/sh or ksh).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Unable to access home area

Good morning, I have a solaris 8 machine (Sunblade 1000) that is configured with NIS, I have checked everything I can think of to make sure everything is correctly configured which it appears it is but when I try to log into CDE it says it is unable to access my home area and it also does the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mr Pink
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

unable to access a variable not local to a while loop

I have a while loop like this cat ${filename} | while read fileline do ... done I need to access a variable value $newfile inside this while loop How will i do that?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: codeman007
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not access variable outside loop when a reading a file

I am writing a shell script using the korn shell. It seems that I am only able to use local variables within a while loop that is reading a file. (I can't access a variable outside a previously used while loop.) It's been a while since I wrote shell scripts. Here is a sample cat file.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricardo.ludwig
4 Replies

4. Solaris

unable to access infodoc!!

Hi, I am refered to see Infodoc 80854. but I am not able to access from sun.com. Is there any precedure to view these?. Please guide me. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bpsunadm
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Unable to access TAR file

hi friends, I am using hp unix HP-UX B.11.11 .. Generally i do the compression to maintain the space availability . To compress the files first i used the TAR to collect all the files. it has done fine. when i am using command ls in the folder which has TAR file , it shows the TAR... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdhaprakasam
2 Replies

6. AIX

P550 Unable to access Console

I have recently aquired the following machine: IBM,9113-550 Up until yesterday we could connect a dumb terminal to serial port 1 and get console login. However the dumb terminal died. We are now using a laptop with a null modem cable attached to serial port 1. This works perfectly for all of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rsw7724
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable To access array in awk

Hi, i have the following code in which i am passing array tldn in awk using -v option & despite of that condition is not getting matched,can somebody suggest how to handle shell arrays in awk tcount=(9875 9667) awk -F"\t" -v ltldn="${tldn}" 'NR==FNR {POSTPAIDMDNS=$2"|"$3;next} ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to access current user's mailbox.

In any non-root account, whenever I enter mail, it gives me: /var/spool/mail/root: Permission deniedI am not logged in as root, why is mail accessing root's mailbox ? I am unable to enter the currently logged in user's mailbox. Any help is appreciated :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to set Global variable outside while loop

Below is my code: count=0 if ... ... else ... find * -prune -type d | sort -r -n | while read d; do count=1 if ; then echo "Count1:$count" ... ... break 2; fi ... done ... fi echo "Count2:$count" (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to compare to a previous value of a variable in a while loop for a file

Hello All, I'm working on a script that will actually read a file consisting of data like the below:(ReportID,Sub_reportID,Sub_reportName) 1,1,ABC 1,2,DEF 1,3,GHI 2,1,JKL 2,2,MNO 3,1,PQR I want to read the Sub Report details for a Report_ID using while loop and write these values into... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat_reddy
6 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. SunOS 5.10 30 Aug 2004 getusershell(3C)