Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers cp output /dev/null results in not a directory Post 302318893 by jim mcnamara on Friday 22nd of May 2009 03:20:31 PM
Old 05-22-2009
In standard shell:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
time for FILE in *
do
   cp $FILE /dev/null
done 2>/dev/null

works just fine 2> /dev/null hides errors about directories

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Q1 :/dev/null Q2 -A

Hi, Q1-What does nroff -ms > /dev/null Q2- What does mean -A under STAT column : ps aux |head -20 UTIL PID %CPU %MEM SZ RSS TTY STAT STIME TIME COMMAND root 516 93,0 0,0 12 12 - A 04 nov 3906:51 wait Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

2. Solaris

URGENT - setup port and dump all output to /dev/null or a file

Please help urgently. I need to setup up some sort of service on a solaris server on a port. I dont need it do anything special, anything that is sent to this port from an external server should be dump to /dev/null or a flat file.. Can you help urgently? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

> /dev/null

hello all, In many shell scripts i found '> /dev/null' , i am not able to get this, will any one please explain why we are using this. thanks sudha (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrs
2 Replies

4. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

5. Ubuntu

tar not reading if output directed to /dev/null

I stumbled across a somewhat strange behavior of tar and find no explanation for it: i was testing a DVD for read errors and thought to simply tar the content and direct the output to /dev/null: tar -cvf - /my/mountpoint/*ts > /dev/null This way i expected the system to read the complete... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error output of cat to /dev/null

Hello, I'm trying to send the error output of a 'cat' operation to /dev/null like this: cat /dirA/dirB/temp*.log > /dirA/dirB/final.log 2>/dev/null This works perfectly in a terminal, but not when placed in a script. If there are no files matching temp*.log the script outputs an error... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nils88
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null 2>&1 Versus /dev/null 2>1

How are these two different? They both prevent output and error from being displayed. I don't see the use of the "&" echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>&1 echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting standard out to /dev/null goes to file "/dev/null" instead

I apologize if this question has been answered else where or is too elementary. I ran across a KSH script (long unimportant story) that does this: if ; then CAS_SRC_LOG="/var/log/cas_src.log 2>&1" else CAS_SRC_LOG="/dev/null 2>&1" fithen does this: /usr/bin/echo "heartbeat:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbmorrisonjr
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect the audio output to /dev/null

I'm using an text-to-speech synthesis in a script, and I need to redirect it's output to /dev/null how can I do that ? And how to redirect the stream to his normal output then (sound card ) ? thankx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: firelink
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with /dev/null Please

Hello All and a Happy New year to yous guys. I'm running the below command on my AIX box and it keeps giving me the message that the file doesn't exist. I know the file don't exist, but I don't want to see the error. 2>/dev/null doesn't work. bash-3.00$ ls -l C* | wc -l 2>/dev/null ls:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
2 Replies
mtools(1)						      General Commands Manual							 mtools(1)

NAME
mtools - Provides a collection of tools for manipulating DOS files DESCRIPTION
The mtools commands are a public domain collection of programs that let you read, write, and manipulate files on a DOS file system (typi- cally a diskette) from a UNIX system. Each command attempts to emulate the DOS equivalent command as closely as possible. The following commands are available: Converts a DOS file to UNIX Changes DOS file attribute options Changes or reports the DOS working directory Copies DOS files to and from a UNIX operating system Deletes a DOS file Displays contents of a DOS directory Copies a diskette to another diskette as a bit-image copy Adds a DOS file system to a low-level formatted diskette Creates a shell script to restore UNIX file names from DOS Labels a DOS volume Makes a DOS directory Removes a DOS directory Performs a low level read (copy) of a DOS file to UNIX Renames an exist- ing DOS file Displays the contents of a DOS file Performs a low level write (copy) of a UNIX file to DOS Converts a UNIX file to DOS format DOS file names optionally are composed of a drive letter followed by a colon, a subdirectory, and a file name. Subdirectory names can use either the '/' or '' separator. The use of the '' separator or wildcards requires the names to be enclosed in quotes to protect them from the shell. The regular expression "pattern matching" routines follow the UNIX rules. For example, an asterisk (*) matches all DOS files in place of asterisks separated by a dot (.) such as *.*. The archive, hidden, read-only and system attribute bits are ignored during pattern match- ing. Not all UNIX file names are supported in the DOS world. The mtools commands may have to change UNIX names to fit the DOS file name conven- tions. Most commands provide the verbose option (-v), that displays new file names if they have been changed. The following table shows some examples of file name conversions: ----------------------------------------------- UNIX name DOS name Reason for the change ----------------------------------------------- thisisatest THISISAT file name too long file.stuff FILE.STU extension too long prn.txt XRN.TXT PRN is a device name .abc X.ABC null file name hot+cold HOTXCOLD illegal character ----------------------------------------------- All options use the minus (-) option, not the slash (/) as provided under DOS conventions. The mcd command is used to establish the device and the current working directory (relative to the DOS file system), otherwise the default is assumed to be A:. All the mtools commands return 0 on success and 1 on complete failure. All mtools require a floppy diskette properly installed on the system. All mtools facilities address a device named /dev/disk/floppy, therefore, a symbolic link between the floppy device and /dev/disk/floppy is also required. RESTRICTIONS
If the proper device is not specified (when multiple disks capacities are supported), an error message from the device driver may be dis- played. This message can be ignored. EXAMPLES
If the diskette is a SCSI attached floppy drive designated device rz13, the following example sets up a floppy diskette for access by the mtools commands: # cd /dev # ./MAKEDEV disk/dsk13 You can then link the device to /dev/disk/floppy as follows: # ln -s /dev/rdisk/dsk/13c /dev/disk/floppy The following example sets up a floppy diskette for access by the mtools commands if the floppy drive is FDI attached: # cd /dev # ./MAKEDEV fd0 You can then link the device to /dev/disk/floppy as follows: # ln -s /dev/rfd0c /dev/disk/floppy The following example also sets up a SCSI attached floppy diskette for access by the mtools commands: # /usr/sbin/mknod /dev/rdisk/dsk13c c 8 21506 You can then link the device to /dev/disk/floppy as follows: # ln -s /dev/rdisk/dsk13c /dev/disk/floppy Remember to use the appropriate SCSI name and minor number for your configuration. In this example, this is dev/rdisk/dsk13c. Caution This method is recommended for use only by experienced system administrators. SEE ALSO
Commands: dos2unix(1), ln(1), mattrib(1), mcd(1), mcopy(1), mdel(1), mdir(1), mdiskcopy(1), mformat(1), mlabel(1), mmd(1), mrd(1), mread(1), mren(1), mtype(1), mwrite(1), unix2dos(1) Floppy disk interface: fd(7) Utilities: MAKEDEV(8), mknod(8) mtools(1)