Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to Read the entire file using while loop Post 302318732 by ghostdog74 on Friday 22nd of May 2009 06:43:44 AM
Old 05-22-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertGM
To read a file line by line I should use:
Code:
cat $FILENAME | while read line; do 
   PARSER_NAME=`echo $line | awk ' { print $1; } '`
   HOST_NAME=`echo $line | awk ' { print $2; } '`
   #[...]
done

Regards,

Albert.
no need to cat. Also , if using awk, no need to use while read loop
Code:
awk '{
   parsername=$1
   hostname=$2
   #some other code
}' $filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from a file and use the strings in a loop

Hello all, I need some help to create a script which contain a few strings on every line, and use those strings in a loop to fire some commands. for exmaple the file looks like tom dave bill andy paul I want to read one line at a time and use it in loop like command tom command dave... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xboxer21
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Read the entire output fired by ps command

Actually I want to display the entire output fired by ps command. My output gets trucated after 80 chars. Thus, i am not able to see the entire command running when i give a ps -eaf .... Does anyone know how do i display the entire output fired by ps command .. (i.e the command along with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinithepoo
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read a file in unix using do....done loop

Hi , can some give me idea about how to use do...done while loop in UNIX to read the contents of a file.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreenusola
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem reading file in while/read loop

I know I should be able to see a way of doing this easily, but my brain just won't engage. I have a script working on an embedded device that checks to see if an item is in a blacklist before performing some actions. At the moment the code reads thus.... while read BLACKLIST ; do ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read entire output from a file?

Hello- I am trying to view a file which is quite large. However, whenever I do 'cat (file name)' it shows me just the half.. I am using Putty to access my server. Also, is it possible to edit a file from a unix system on a 'Gedit for Windows" text editor? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file using while loop not reading last line

I have written a script to read the file line by line. It is reading and printing the lines. But it is coming out of loop before reading last line. So I am not able to print last line. How do I solve it. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk instead of while loop to read file

Hello, I have a huge file, I am currently using while loop to read and do some calculation on it, but it is taking a lot of time. I want to use AWK to read and do those calculations. Please suggest. currently doing: cat input2 | while read var1 do num=`echo $var1 | awk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand2308
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script read specific value from files of an entire folder

Hello, I heva a problem creating a script that read specifc value from all the files of an entire folder I have a number of email files into a directory and i need to extrect from each file 2 specific values. After that i have to put them into a new file that looks like that: To: value1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahmenty
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use while loop to read file and use ${file} for both filename input into awk and as string to print

I have files named with different prefixes. From each I want to extract the first line containing a specific string, and then print that line along with the prefix. I've tried to do this with a while loop, but instead of printing the prefix I print the first line of the file twice. Files:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

10. Solaris

User with read-only to entire filesystem

Is this even possible? Its a request for external auditors to login remotely. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
5 Replies
mdbFontSize(5)							 The m17n Library						    mdbFontSize(5)

NAME
mdbFontSize - Font Size DESCRIPTION
In some case, a font contains incorrect information about its size (typically in the case of a hacked TrueType font), which results in a bad text layout when such a font is used in combination with the other fonts. To overcome this problem, the m17n library loads information about font-size adjustment from the m17n database by the tags <font, resize>. The data is loaded as a plist of this format. FONT-SIZE-ADJUSTMENT ::= PER-FONT * PER-FONT ::= '(' FONT-SPEC ADJUST-RATIO ')' FONT-SPEC ::= '(' [ FOUNDRY FAMILY [ WEIGHT [ STYLE [ STRETCH [ ADSTYLE ]]]]] REGISTRY ')' ADJUST-RATIO ::= INTEGER FONT-SPEC is to specify properties of a font. FOUNDRY to REGISTRY are symbols corresponding to Mfoundry to Mregistry property of a font. See m17nFont for the meaning of each property. ADJUST-RATIO is an integer number specifying by percentage how much the font-size must be adjusted. For instance, this PER-FONT: ((devanagari-cdac) 150) instructs the font handler of the m17n library to open a font of 1.5 times bigger than a requested size on opening a font whose registry is 'devanagari-cdac'. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001 Information-technology Promotion Agency (IPA) Copyright (C) 2001-2011 National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.html>. Version 1.6.2 12 Jan 2011 mdbFontSize(5)