Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Windows,Solaris, Red Hat triple boot issues Post 302318450 by saagar on Thursday 21st of May 2009 02:34:09 PM
Old 05-21-2009
Windows,Solaris, Red Hat triple boot issues

I have a pentium IV with 512 MB ram and 80 GB HDD.
I first installed windows XP on the first primary partition, then Solaris on the second with 20 GB for the solaris partition, and when rebooted , the grub menu functioned as expected giving me the options to dual boot, so next I wanted to install red hat with /boot in the 3rd primary partition and / in 1st logical drive of the extended partition and swap in the 2nd logical drive. So, I went ahead and installed linux...but when I went to the disk druid partition manager, the partition manager erraneously showed the solaris partition (2nd fdisk partition) as ext3... but still I went ahead and installed linux as I mentioned above and I told to install the linux grub in the /boot partition.(3rd partition) so that it wont affect the solaris grub. But when i rebooted the system after linux installation, the solaris grub asks me the boot options(windows or solaris?) , but when I select solaris, it immediately reboots and the same rebooting process occurs each time after the grub menu comes...but when i select windows, it works fine....Why is this so...? any idea.. please..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual boot Red Hat and 2000

Hi, I'm trying to set up a dual boot with Win2000 and Red Hat. I installed Win 2000 first a partitioned 2 separate drives. When I start the Red Hat install with Disk Druid, it sees my partitioned drives, but won't let me install Red Hat. What is my issue? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jensam
4 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Red Hat Linux Boot Problems

Hi. I have an 81 gig hard drive and split it up into 2 partitions. One for linux and the other for windows. I had my windows up and running and it was doing fine. Then i started my linux. I go Red Hat Linux out and installed it on the partition. This all worked out well. However, when i rebooted... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vertigo
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

red hat linux installation boot floppy disk

Hi, My dear friends, I am trying to install red hat linux. I have downloaded its disc1. On the instructions page, the next stage is to make the boot disk, so that I can boot from the floppy. However, I am unable to locate the boot image iso file. I tried on google, but I got a few files which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxpenguin
3 Replies

4. Linux

How to access WINDOWS drives from RED HAT 9???

Hello , I am using Red hat 9. I want to access the windows drives from my Linux. Can you please tell me the commands to mount those drives. Till now I am rebooting into windows, copying files into a pen drive and then again coming back to Red hat. help me please (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
7 Replies

5. Linux

How to remove Red Hat 4 OS from dual boot

Hi Xperts out there Previously i have Vista Standard installed in my notebook. Then i have installed Red Hat 4 and currently my notebook are dual boot OS. Now i'm thinking to remove all my Red Hat 4 out. So how to achive this without risking my Vista Standard. :D (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adzuanamir
5 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Need to install red hat linux on existing windows vista OS as dual boot

HI ALL, I need to install linux on already existing windows vista OS. I tried to install linux,am getting error while creating patitions, i)selected manula patition with grude option.. after that when i m selecting free space to create mount points, its giving error "could not allocate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack00423
2 Replies

7. Ubuntu

make Ubuntu and Red Hat boot partitions

Is it possible to make multiboot partitions of Ubuntu and red hat Linux? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sito
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Buffer I/O error in red hat linux boot up

I get error message when boot up red hat linux Buffer I/O error on device hdc ,logical block XX ... /dev/hdc:read failed after 0 of 2048 at 0 : input/output error ..... I paste the /etc/fstab file in here /dev/hdc is cdrom How can I fix it Please advice # cat /etc/fstab # This file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuikingman
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Is there a way to use windows RDP with red hat 6

Besides installing VNC on the red hat server which i know i can do, is there any RDP servers (using the windows rdp client) to remote control a red hat 6.2 server? Thanks in advance for this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Red Hat 6.6 issues

How can I block the mouse rightclick menu on the Red Hat 6.6 KDE Pasma 5 ? It was blocked on the Red Hat 5 KDE, but now the former configuration doesn't function. Thanks Zeev (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeev
0 Replies