Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl: Please explain this for me: $hexdigit = (0 .. 9, 'a' .. 'f')[$num & 15]; Post 302318380 by ksheller on Thursday 21st of May 2009 11:48:31 AM
Old 05-21-2009
Thanks a lot!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl doubt plz explain....

hi all i wrote a shell script which uses perl script my code is : >cat filename | while read i >do >perl -e 'require "/home/scripts/abc.pl" ; abc("$i")' >done perl script used will simply check syntax of Cobol programs but it didn't work for me so i asked my colleague he suggested... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zedex
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

X num of lines before and after

I have a slew of files for historical reference. Each file has a unique line in the file, such as "Today's datetime is:" Each file also contains a unique set of characters on line X, such as "DMX Info." This line number will be different each time a new file is generated. So, for one... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjp
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

perl explain syntax !!!

hi all i was going through some perl code i came across this line and i am not getting what is exactly going on .. $$this{localtion} = GetName->GetVarName("EXE_DIR") ; what is the red part doing in above code (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & Replace string in multiple files & folders using perl

find . -type f -name "*.sql" -print|xargs perl -i -pe 's/pattern/replaced/g' this is simple logic to find and replace in multiple files & folders Hope this helps. Thanks Zaheer (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaheer.mic
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone please explain what tr#A-Za-z0-9+/# -_#; means in perl?

Can someone please explain what tr#A-Za-z0-9+/# -_#; means in perl? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3junior
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain perl formatting commands

Could you please tell the meaning of Below mentioned perl script lines: format OWNER_TOTAL = @< Owner Code @<<<<<<total: @#######.## @#######.## @#######.## @#######.## @#######.## @#######.## @#######.## @#######.## @#######.## @#######.## @###### #.## $prev_cust_type, $prev_owner_code,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinothrajan55
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

can you explain this perl command?

I am using this line of perl code to change the file format and remove ^M at the end of each line in files: perl -i -pe's/\r$//;' <name of file here> Can you explain to me what this code does, and translate it into bash/awk/sed? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Perl: Can someone please explain this code "sort { $a <=> $b } @unsorted"

@sorted = sort { $a <=> $b } @unsorted; I am having hard time understanding how this works? I know the output but interested to know the working. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Perl/Array Sorting : Can someone please explain below code $h{$_}++

sub uniq { my %h; return grep { !$h{$_}++ } @_ } The above code is to remove duplicates from array. I am having hard time understanding below things (basically around highlighted code in bold)- when was the value inserted in hash? and are we only adding a key in Hash not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tanu
1 Replies
pbmreduce(1)						      General Commands Manual						      pbmreduce(1)

NAME
pbmreduce - read a portable bitmap and reduce it N times SYNOPSIS
pbmreduce [-floyd|-fs|-threshold ] [-value val] N [pbmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable bitmap as input. Reduces it by a factor of N, and produces a portable bitmap as output. pbmreduce duplicates a lot of the functionality of pgmtopbm; you could do something like pnmscale | pgmtopbm, but pbmreduce is a lot faster. pbmreduce can be used to "re-halftone" an image. Let's say you have a scanner that only produces black&white, not grayscale, and it does a terrible job of halftoning (most b&w scanners fit this description). One way to fix the halftoning is to scan at the highest possible res- olution, say 300 dpi, and then reduce by a factor of three or so using pbmreduce. You can even correct the brightness of an image, by using the -value flag. OPTIONS
By default, the halftoning after the reduction is done via boustrophedonic Floyd-Steinberg error diffusion; however, the -threshold flag can be used to specify simple thresholding. This gives better results when reducing line drawings. The -value flag alters the thresholding value for all quantizations. It should be a real number between 0 and 1. Above 0.5 means darker images; below 0.5 means lighter. All flags can be abbreviated to their shortest unique prefix. SEE ALSO
pnmenlarge(1), pnmscale(1), pgmtopbm(1), pbm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1988 by Jef Poskanzer. 02 August 1989 pbmreduce(1)