Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting inserting a string to a text file Post 302318285 by goude on Thursday 21st of May 2009 08:38:26 AM
Old 05-21-2009
inserting a string to a text file

Hello

Can somebody please help me with the following script?
I'm trying to create a text file with 20 blank lines and then insert a string in line 2 but nothing is printed in the itxtfile. I can create the file with 20 blank lines but when I "tell" it to print something on the second line, it doesn't work.
Can somebody please tell me what am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot

Code:
system ("touch /home/yanni/scripts/intxtfile"); 
my ($fileread, $filein, $fileout);
$filein = '/home/yanni/scripts/intxtfile';
$fileout = 'file.tmp';

open $fileread, '>', $filein || die ("Can't open: $filein $!");
print $fileread "\n \n \n \n \n \n \n \n \n \n \n \n \n \n \n \n \n \n \n"; 
close $fileread;

open ($fileread, '<', $filein)  || die "Can't open: $filein $!";
 open ($filewrite,'>', $fileout) || die "Can't open: $fileout $!";

while (<$fileread>) {
                      print $filewrite $_;
                      if ($.==2) { print $fileread "blablabla";}

}              

close ($fileread);
close ($filein);
close ($fileout);
rename ($fileout, $filein) || die "Unable to rename: $!";

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

inserting a String in the file(s)

Hi, I'm a newbee to Unix shell scripting. I want to write a shell script that inserts a new String(name&value pair) into a file(s) at a particular place.I willl have to write one script which when executed should insert a new variable in all the files in that particular directory. Say for eg:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2tbee
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting a String in a file header.

Dear all, I have a file created in the name sample.txt in UNIX with header and footer. How to insert a required string (for example "FILE1") in the header part after the file has been created. What kind of command can i use to do the same. Thanks in advance Hari (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari123
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

inserting subscriber no in text file using KSH....

:confused:Dears , I have text file I need to insert the subscriber number at position 32, and need to keep the next field at position 53 (no increasing of the record lenght), I mean I just want to replace the spaces at position 32 with subscirber number . for example A B A ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atiato
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting text and modifying the file

I am in a dire need of doing this job , please help from shell script or perl script. It will be highly appreciated. Please have a look at the following INPUT file; The first 14 rows are not of interest but I want them to be included in the output file as they are. From the row 14... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digipak
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting a column into a text file

I have a tab delimited text file with multiple columns (data.txt). I would like to insert a column into the text file. The column I want to insert is in a text file (column.txt). I want to insert it into the 5th column of data.txt. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting text into a new file

Hi all, I want to create a file and then insert some text into it. I'm trying to create a .sh script that will create a new python file from a template. Can someone tell me why this won't work, touch $1 | sed -e '1i\Some test code here' Sorry I'm quite new to all this! Just as a side... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahodgson
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed and inserting text from another file

I need to insert text from one file into another file after specific term. I guess sed is the best method of doing this and I can insert a specified text string using this script but I am not sure how to modify it to insert text from another file: #!/bin/sh sed 's/\<VirtualHost... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
17 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting text into a file with awk or sed

Hello, I've been trying to get a script working that fetches weather-data and converts it into an .ics file. The script works so far put I'm stuck at the point where I need to add specific static data. A thorough search through the forum did not point me into the right direction. #!/bin/bash... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Schubi
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting text in file names while copying them.

I'm trying to find a Bourne shell script that will copy files from one directory using a wild card for the file name (*) and add some more characters in the middle of the file name as it is copied. As an example: /u01/tmp-file1.xml => /u02/tmp-file1-20130620.xml /u01/tmp-file2.xml => ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tony Keller
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting information from old text file into a new text file

Hello, I'm trying to take information from a list of hundreds of subject ids (where each line is a new subject id), and insert each line into a new text file that contains the pathnames for each subject. To clarify, all subject have a similiar path name (e.g., C:\data\SUBJECT_ID\) that contains... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: invisibledwarf
4 Replies
OSACOMPILE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					     OSACOMPILE(1)

NAME
osacompile -- compile AppleScripts and other OSA language scripts SYNOPSIS
osacompile [-l language] [-e command] [-o name] [-d] [-r type:id] [-t type] [-c creator] [-x] [-s] [-u] [-a arch] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
osacompile compiles the given files, or standard input if none are listed, into a single output script. Files may be plain text or other compiled scripts. The options are as follows: -l language Override the language for any plain text files. Normally, plain text files are compiled as AppleScript. -e command Enter one line of a script. Script commands given via -e are prepended to the normal source, if any. Multiple -e options may be given to build up a multi-line script. Because most scripts use characters that are special to many shell programs (e.g., AppleScript uses single and double quote marks, ``('', ``)'', and ``*''), the command will have to be correctly quoted and escaped to get it past the shell intact. -o name Place the output in the file name. If -o is not specified, the resulting script is placed in the file ``a.scpt''. The value of -o partly determines the output file format; see below. -x Save the resulting script as execute-only. The following options are only relevant when creating a new bundled applet or droplet: -s Stay-open applet. -u Use startup screen. -a arch Create the applet or droplet for the specified target architecture arch. The allowable values are ``ppc'', ``i386'', and ``x86_64''. The default is to create a universal binary. The following options control the packaging of the output file. You should only need them for compatibility with classic Mac OS or for cus- tom file formats. -d Place the resulting script in the data fork of the output file. This is the default. -r type:id Place the resulting script in the resource fork of the output file, in the specified resource. -t type Set the output file type to type, where type is a four-character code. If this option is not specified, the creator code will not be set. -c creator Set the output file creator to creator, where creator is a four-character code. If this option is not specified, the creator code will not be set. If no options are specified, osacompile produces a Mac OS X format script file: data fork only, with no type or creator code. If the -o option is specified and the file does not already exist, osacompile uses the filename extension to determine what type of file to create. If the filename ends with ``.app'', it creates a bundled applet or droplet. If the filename ends with ``.scptd'', it creates a bun- dled compiled script. Otherwise, it creates a flat file with the script data placed according to the values of the -d and -r options. EXAMPLES
To produce a script compatible with classic Mac OS: osacompile -r scpt:128 -t osas -c ToyS example.applescript SEE ALSO
osascript(1), osalang(1) Mac OS X November 12, 2008 Mac OS X