Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers global search and replacement of a non-ascii character Post 302318187 by effjay on Thursday 21st of May 2009 03:04:08 AM
Old 05-21-2009
global search and replacement of a non-ascii character

Hi, I need to do a global search and replacement of a non-ascii character. Let me first give the background of my problem.

Very frequently, I need to copy set of references from different sources. Typically, a reference would like this:

Banumathy et al., 2002 G. Banumathy, V. Singh and U. Tatu, Host chaperones are recruited in membrane-bound complexes by Plasmodium falciparum, The Journal of Biological Chemistry 277 (2002), pp. 3902-3912.

When I copy a set of references on to a 'vi' editor screen, the hyphen (-) character, which is invariably present in the pagination details, is shown as
<96> character. When I use the command, cat -vt <filename>, char <96> is shown as M-BM-^V

My question is, how do I search for the non-ascii character, <96> , using vi editor.

Many thanks,

Francis

NCSI, IISc, Bangalore, India

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

global replacement

hello, I have a problem in replacing a value with another one in a file,the actual situation is i am writing an shell script,in that i want to cat a file and that replace the values in the file with a calculated values,which is in a variable... regards babu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Babu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Character replacement

Hi, I am working on a command that replaces some occurrences of quotation marks in file. The quotation mark cannot be the first or the last character in line and cannot be preceded or followed by a comma. I am not an expert in regular expressions, but I managed to create the following... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: piooooter
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - Character Replacement

Hey all. Easy question. I have a (ksh) varaible x. It contains the following (for example): N557788 I want to replace the "N" with a "-". I've done this before but for the life of me I cannot remember how I did it. Thanks. mtw (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mixxamike
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ascii value of character?

Is there a way to determine the ascii value of a character? For example, let's say a shell variable has the value 'A'. I would like it's ascii value (e.g. 65 in this case). I would like to do this from a script (preferably ksh). (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sszd
12 Replies

5. Programming

python, character replacement

Hello, I need to do this in python but I'm just learning py and it's quite urgent. I have a script I created and need an interactive python script to modify part of a line. MY SCRIPT #ligand prep. Uses 'ind' prefix. The initial ligand must be ind.pdb. This #generates ind.pdbqt.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gav2251
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ASCII Character Set

I thought I would point this out. This has a lot of the non printing characters. ASCII Character Set (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print the next ASCII character

Hi, In my file, for few field I have to print the next ASCII character for every character. In the below file, I have to do for the 2,3 and 5th fields. Input File ======== 1|abc|def|5|ghi 2|jkl|mno|6|pqr Expected Ouput file ======= 1|bcd|efg|5|hij 2|klm|nop|6|qrs (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is ASCII character?

Hi Guru, I have put one post yesterday and get answer. thanks for your help. my question today is: what is ascii character for following non printable characters: ( we need filter these characters out in another process) ^MM-^E^MM-^E. Old post link: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special character replacement

Hi Guys, I have a file which needs to be replaced with tab delimited AA§Orgin Name§Mapping based on prod_usa§§§§ BB§Date§2019-08-11 23:30:01§§§§ I am trying below code sed 's// /g' test.txt Expected AA|Orgin Name|Mapping based on prod_usa||| BB|Date|2019-08-11 23:30:01|||| (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
6 Replies
TRANSMISSION-EDIT(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 				      TRANSMISSION-EDIT(1)

NAME
transmission-edit -- command-line utility to modify .torrent files' announce URLs SYNOPSIS
transmission-edit [-h] [-a url] [-d url] [-r search replace] torrentfile(s) DESCRIPTION
transmission-edit command-line utility to modify .torrent files' announce URLs OPTIONS
-h --help Show a short help page and exit. -a --add URL Add an announce URL to the torrent's announce-list if it's not already in the list -d --delete URL Remove an announce URL from the torrent's announce-list -r --replace search replace Substring search-and-replace inside a torrent's announce URLs. This can be used to change an announce URL when the tracker moves or your passcode changes. EXAMPLES
Update a tracker passcode in all your torrents: $ transmission-edit -r old-passcode new-passcode ~/.config/transmission/torrents/*.torrent AUTHORS
Jordan Lee SEE ALSO
transmission-create(1), transmission-daemon(1), transmission-edit(1), transmission-gtk(1), transmission-qt(1), transmission-remote(1), transmission-show(1) http://www.transmissionbt.com/ BSD
June 9, 2010 BSD