Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cut portion of a field in shell scripts Post 302318048 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 20th of May 2009 03:44:10 PM
Old 05-20-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivacbz
Hi,

I am using KSH shell script for this.

I use the below command:
filename | grep 'string' | cut -f1,2,4,6 -d"|"

right now to pull fields wherein i need to have a substring of the file in field 4.
Not sure what you're saying/asking.
Have you tried what'd been posted previously?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to use cut to get the last field of a string?

If I am not sure of how many fields a string has, say STR=/homt/root/dir1/dir2/../dirn how to use "cut -d/ -f" to get dirn ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

dirname, save cut portion to variable, clean up

Hi guys, last cry for help for today. I appreciate the help so far. ok so I have a program that dumps a path into my script as a variable ($1) This path is an example /home/xbmc/sab_downloads/video/tv/grey's anatomy/season 3 So in order to search thetvdb.com for a show, I need to extract... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tret
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut last Field

Guys, I have a line like this: 109;201;1099010 and as you see that first field 109 and the last field starts with 109. I need to cut the rest in the last field after 109 which is 9010 How to do it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sfaqih
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I cut out this field?

Hello, In a shell script I am writing I execute this command: uniq -c names1.tmp > names2.tmp In names2.tmp I get these results: 4 user 2 username 1 users 1 veriano 1 victoria I need to isolate the names in this file and put it in another file. However it seems that the number... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut the last field

Hello guys. Is there any way I can cut the last field using "cut" ??? (without putting it into a while...) Thanks. 435 Gavea. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to cut a particular field

hi all i am need to cut the name of the file which i am entering in the comand line. say abc.txt is the name of the file i need to cut only the "abc" part. when i try doing this(using cut -f1) i am getting the data that s present inside the file and the file name. pls help.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: din_annauniv
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut third field of every third line

Hello, I have got a log file and would need to write a script to cut the every first and second fields of every third line. Job Name : dummytextd_v1 Status : KILLED TIMEDOUT 2011-05-01 05:33 Job Name : dummyttx_v1 Status : KILLED TIMEDOUT 2011-05-03 02:33 Job Name :... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kochappa
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell to display portion of a line

Thanks a lot for the code and the explanation. Now my final requirement. I have uploaded 3 files as attachment. Please open the files in Editplus or any other text editor which keeps the formatting. GMDCOM.27936.log.txt------I want to pick only Process request from this file.(Please check... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghosh_tanmoy
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk - If field value of consecutive records are the identical print portion of lines

I have some data that looks like this: PXD= ZW< 1,6 QR> QRJ== 1,2(5) QR> QRJ== 4,1(2) QR> QRJ== 4,2 QRB= QRB 4,2 QWM QWM 6,2 R<C ZW< 11,2 R<H= R<J= 6,1 R>H XZJ= 1,2(2) R>H XZJ= 2,6(2) R>H XZJ= 4,1(2) R>H XZJ= 6,2 RDP RDP 1,2 What I would like to do is if fields $1 and $2 are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut the first field and the 2 last field

Hello, I would like to cut the first field and the 2 last fields from the string.Please help. Here is the example of the string.DL_FUND_FULL_20190605.txt DL_FUND_HIS_DEL_20190605.txt DL_FUND_HIS_TMP_DEL20190605.txt Please noted that DL_ --> Every files have the prefix like this.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: palita2601
3 Replies
CUT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CUT(1)

NAME
cut -- select portions of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file ...] cut -c list [file ...] cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cut utility selects portions of each line (as specified by list) from each file and writes them to the standard output. If the file argument is a single dash ('-') or no file arguments were specified, lines are read from the standard input. The items specified by list can be in terms of column position or in terms of fields delimited by a special character. Column numbering starts from 1. list is a comma or whitespace separated set of increasing numbers and/or number ranges. Number ranges consist of a number, a dash (-), and a second number and select the fields or columns from the first number to the second, inclusive. Numbers or number ranges may be preceded by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from 1 to the first number. Numbers or number ranges may be followed by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from the last number to the end of the line. Numbers and number ranges may be repeated, overlapping, and in any order. It is not an error to select fields or columns not present in the input line. The options are as follows: -b list The list specifies byte positions. -c list The list specifies character positions. -d string Use the first character of string as the field delimiter character. The default is the <TAB> character. -f list The list specifies fields, separated by the field delimiter character. The selected fields are output, separated by the field delimiter character. -n Do not split multi-byte characters. -s Suppresses lines with no field delimiter characters. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through unmodified. EXIT STATUS
cut exits 0 on success, 1 if an error occurred. SEE ALSO
paste(1) STANDARDS
The cut utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). BSD
December 21, 2008 BSD