Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How many lines are in a command. Post 302318014 by Padow on Wednesday 20th of May 2009 01:53:56 PM
Old 05-20-2009
You can use
Code:
ps -ef | grep pr

or to just know the count of lines that match the string "pr" you can use:

Code:
ps -ef | grep -c pr

Padow

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Re: Long command lines

Hello, AIM: Need to test for the presence of some files (*.F) in a certain directory. having a problem with this line is ksh: if test `ls $SOMEDIR/dir/*.F \ 2>/dev/null|wc -w` -eq 0 Basically testing for the presence of *.F files in the specified directory. If the return... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: enoch
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list last few lines command

Hi If my ls -l results in 1000 lines and i just want to see the last few lines in the list what arguments do i pass eg lets say i want to see only the last 5 lines of 'ls -l' result (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zomboo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed Command : Parse parameter file / send the lines to the ksh export command

Sorry for the duplicate thread this one is similar to the one in https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/88132-awk-sed-script-read-values-parameter-files.html#post302255121 Since there were no responses on the parent thread since it got resolved partially i thought to open the new... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeat same command on multiple lines

HI I have a text file named docs with 100 filenames with full directory path one by one. I want to perform an action on all of them, the action i want to do this chown bin:bin <filename>. The <filename> should be each line in the docs text file. Please give the code. Somebody told to use for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PrasannaKS
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat Command and Blank Lines

Hi All, I was testing for blank lines and I want to use the cat command only for groupline in `cat /home/test/group` do if then echo "blank found" fi done I want to check if the current line read is a blank line. I have tested with $groupline="\n" ,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: datkan
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting two lines by using grep command

i hav a text file(abc.txt) in which it have 2 lines as shown Number of agencies didnt send the file= 0 sum of reject files= 0 ###### to get one line from the text file ... i use grep command grep 'Number of agencies didnt send the file= 0' abc.txt ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani1984
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash logging al $() command lines

I have been doing a lot more bash on LINUX RedHat and Ubuntu lately, and one thing keeps cropping up intermittently. If I do a $( some-commands ) Command Substitution, the some-commands are logged onto my screen each time they are evaluated. Did I turn on some odd option? It seems to happen just... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGPickett
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command on multiple lines

I am writing a script and my command is long so it goes down to the next line, but it does not run properly, the pipe is missing the wc -l. how do i fix this problem. find ${ARCHIVE}/${dir} -type f -name "${TEMP2}*" | awk -F/ '{print $NF}' | wc -l (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: football12345
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need command for grepping pattern lines with subsequent lines

Hi, I have a requirement like, I have a list of pattens in a file say pattern.txt, PHC111 PHC113 and in another file called master.lst i have entries like, PHC111 a b PHC112 a PHC113 b c PHC114 d e (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What does this command do? and how to decode all other lines

Hello, I have an encoded file and I wish to see what is written inside. The first line is given below: eval "$(dd if=$0 bs=1 skip=69 2>/dev/null|gpg -d 2>/dev/null)"; exit PS: When I google above code, it says that command is use for encryption... Following lines include many strange... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
2 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)