Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: could not ssh and ping
Operating Systems Solaris could not ssh and ping Post 302317841 by incredible on Wednesday 20th of May 2009 05:45:19 AM
Old 05-20-2009
Is that the server you're accessing to or accessing from?
Which host are you trying to access?
provide netstat -rn output.
clearly explain what actually happens.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Can't SSH / ping Linux box !!!

I have a linux box build11 which can be pinged from build18 (Windows) box. And we can only login to the box (using SSH) from build18 box. Plz help to characterize the problem, network, DNS, DHCP, etc (or whatever which I am unsure) Any idea what may be the reason ? :confused: Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaha
4 Replies

2. Solaris

could not ssh and ping

hi , i cannot ssh to a server , i have restarted the ssh instances also. and i cannot ping to the server.. any ideas ..plz (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Ping = no, SSH = eventually. Next step?

I have a Solaris 9 server that does not return a ping. When I try to log in via SSH I eventually get in. I am logged in now. I know this is a wide open question, but can you recommend some things I should check? . Thanks in advance, ~R (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abstractrick
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Animation Ping on Solaris Like Cisco Ping

Hi, I develop simple animation ping script on Solaris Platform. It is like Cisco ping. Examples and source code are below. bash-3.00$ gokcell 152.155.180.8 30 Sending 30 Ping Packets to 152.155.180.8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. % 93.33 success... % 6.66 packet loss...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokcell
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get reason for ping failure using perls Net::Ping->new("icmp");?

Hi I am using perl to ping a list of nodes - with script below : $p = Net::Ping->new("icmp"); if ($p->ping($host,1)){ print "$host is alive.\n"; } else { print "$host is unreacheable.\n"; } $p->close();... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tavanagh
4 Replies

6. AIX

Not able to ssh or ping a server

Hi, Earlier I was able to ssh /ping the server but now it just hangs Please suggest how to troubleshoot. Best regards, Vishal (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
4 Replies

7. Programming

Ping test sends mail when ping fails

help with bash script! im am working on this script to make sure my server will stay online, so i made this script.. HOSTS="192.168.138.155" COUNT=4 pingtest(){ for myhost in "$@" do ping -c "$COUNT" "$myhost" &&return 1 done return 0 } if pingtest $HOSTS #100% failed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mort3924
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh on ping result?

I still haven't had chance to read the entire Debian manual, which I promise I will do as soon as I can, and I will start putting info back into this forum. However, for the mean time, could someone please help with a small script? I understand what I've got to do and how to do it, but I'm... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: MuntyScrunt
13 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cant ssh, but ping works

I cant ping to some of my machines, but ping works. I attach screenshots. Port is open and it is 22. I can't figure out why i cant access. https://www.unix.com/attachments/unix-for-advanced-and-expert-users/7492d1541541072-cant-ssh-but-ping-works-sshlisten-jpg... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
17 Replies

10. AIX

PING to AIX works but TELNET FTP SSH doesn't work

root@PRD /> rsh DR KFAFH_DR: protocol failure due to unexpected closure from server end root@PRD /> telnet DR Trying... Connected to DR. Escape character is '^]'. Connection closed. root@PRD /> ftp DR Connected to KFAFH_DR. 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
2 Replies
inet_type(4)							   File Formats 						      inet_type(4)

NAME
inet_type - default Internet protocol type SYNOPSIS
/etc/default/inet_type DESCRIPTION
The inet_type file defines the default IP protocol to use. Currently this file is only used by the ifconfig(1M) and netstat(1M) commands. The inet_type file can contain a number of <variable>=<value> lines. Currently, the only variable defined is DEFAULT_IP, which can be assigned a value of IP_VERSION4, IP_VERSION6, or BOTH. The output displayed by the ifconfig and netstat commands can be controlled by the value of DEFAULT_IP set in inet_type file. By default, both commands display the IPv4 and IPv6 information available on the system. The user can choose to suppress display of IPv6 information by setting the value of DEFAULT_IP. The following shows the possible values for DEFAULT_IP and the resulting ifconfig and netstat output that will be displayed: IP_VERSION4 Displays only IPv4 related information. The output displayed is backward compatible with older versions of the ifconfig(1M) and netstat(1M) commands. IP_VERSION6 Displays both IPv4 and IPv6 related information for ifconfig and netstat. BOTH Displays both IPv4 and IPv6 related information for ifconfig and netstat. The command-line options to the ifconfig and netstat commands override the effect of DEFAULT_IP as set in the inet_type file. For example, even if the value of DEFAULT_IP is IP_VERSION4, the command example% ifconfig -a6 will display all IPv6 interfaces. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Suppressing IPv6 Related Output This is what the inet_type file must contain if you want to suppress IPv6 related output: DEFAULT_IP=IP_VERSION4 SEE ALSO
ifconfig(1M), netstat(1M) SunOS 5.10 16 Jun 1999 inet_type(4)