Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Issue in comparing (cmp) two files Post 302317796 by Sudhar on Wednesday 20th of May 2009 03:17:27 AM
Old 05-20-2009
It worked fine. Thanks for your help Jean.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cmp, diff need options

Hi, I am using diff filename1 filename2, as these files are of huge size,I want to know the count(n) no. of different records to be displayed on the terminal. I do not want the contents of file i mean different lines to be displayed. Cheers Kunal. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: niceboykunal123
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cmp 2 variables

Hi I have two variables contining a set of near identical lines, i'd like to list the lines that differ? Prefereably i'd like not to save the variables into a file first. i.e var1 tag:val1 tag:val2 tag:val3 var2 tag:val1 tag:val4 tag:val3 i'd like the result to print out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickrick
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

CMP two files with slight difference and return code

I am comparing two files which are identical except for the timestamp which is incorporated within the otherwise same 372 bytes. I am using the command: cmp -s $Todays_file $Yesterdays_file -i 372 When I run the command without the -i 372 it shows the difference i.e. the timestamp.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gugs
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

date cmp

Please don't count this as a similar post.....I got the ftp part working....I am stuck how to find the files between two dates. I have 5 files filename.20090505.txt filename.20090504.txt filename.20090503.txt filename.20090502.txt filename.20090501.txt My load date is 20090501 and run date... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RubinPat
5 Replies

5. Solaris

cmp file

Dear all, for i in <List of Filename> FILENAME=`echo $i` do cp -p $FILENAME /temp /bin/cmp $FILENAME /temp/$FILENAME done I am planning to do something like this on a daily basis, so i want to ask that, if the comparison on the files encounter error, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare files in two folders using cmp?

i recently copied 400GB of data from a NTFS drive to a ext4 drive. I want to verify that the data is 100% identical to the original. I wanted to use cmp but it only does two files. The directory that was copied contains many subdirectories and all sorts of files (not just text). So I guess... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fuzzylogic25
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script issue : comparing two files with a pattern

File 1 ################################################################# pma.zcal.iop_pma_zcal_cntl (2710.080 115.200) pma.lanea23.rx0.cntl (696.960 844.800) pma.lanea67.rx0.cntl (1733.760 844.800) pma.zcal.iop_pma_zcal_cust (2280.960 115.200)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaita
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing two files issue

Hi all, I need your help fixing an issue with this code. I am a newbie to UNIX programming and there is an issue with this code I am hoping you can help me correct. I have two files (system_files with 8342 records and rules1.txt file with 762 records). My understanding from the script below, is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mustafa19804
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two files issue.

more prod.properties # remote connection details cdr_url=http://myprod.col.net:1890/service cdr_user=user1 cdr_pswd=pass11 boot_time=ON more back.properties cdr_url=http://myback.col.net:1890/service cdr_user=user1 cdr_pswd=pass11 storage=file I need to compare the back.properties... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
6 Replies
BZDIFF(1)						      General Commands Manual							 BZDIFF(1)

NAME
bzcmp, bzdiff - compare bzip2 compressed files SYNOPSIS
bzcmp [ cmp_options ] file1 [ file2 ] bzdiff [ diff_options ] file1 [ file2 ] DESCRIPTION
Bzcmp and bzdiff are used to invoke the cmp or the diff program on bzip2 compressed files. All options specified are passed directly to cmp or diff. If only 1 file is specified, then the files compared are file1 and an uncompressed file1.bz2. If two files are specified, then they are uncompressed if necessary and fed to cmp or diff. The exit status from cmp or diff is preserved. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWbzip | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Committed | +--------------------+-----------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), bzmore(1), bzless(1), bzgrep(1), bzip2(1) BUGS
Messages from the cmp or diff programs refer to temporary filenames instead of those specified. BZDIFF(1)