Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users byte swapping 32-bit float and weird od results Post 302317759 by fpmurphy on Wednesday 20th of May 2009 12:55:07 AM
Old 05-20-2009
On the 64-bit platform, what format are the floating point numbers? Double precision (64-bit) IEEE 754 binary floating-point numbers? Single precision (32-bit) binary IEEE 754 floating-point numbers? Are they in standard IEEE 754 interchange format or some form of custom arithmetic format? Binary or decimal format?

In other words, first you need to figure out exactly what format was used to represent the floating points numbers.

If you provide more information we can probably help you.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

math.h: float ceilf(float x)

Good morning, I'm testing the use of ceilf: /*Filename: str.c*/ #include <stdio.h> #include <math.h> int main (void) { float ceilf(float x); int dev=3, result=0; float tmp = 3.444f; printf("Result: %f\n",ceilf(tmp)); return 0; } (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jonas.gabriel
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if 2 files are identical byte-to-byte?

In my server migration requirement, I need to compare if one file on old server is exactly the same as the corresponding file on the new server. For diff and comm, the inputs need to be sorted. But I do not want to disturb the content of the file and need to find byte-to-byte match. Please... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a byte(Last byte from the last line)

Hi All Can anyone please suggest me how to remove the last byte from a falt file .This is from the last line's last BYTE. Please suggest me something. Thank's and regards Vinay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinayrao
1 Replies

4. Programming

Weird timing results in C

I was running some timings in my code to see which of several functions was the best and I've been getting some odd results. Here's the code I'm using: static double time_loop(int (*foo)(int)) { clock_t start, end; int n = 0, i = 0; start = clock(); for (; i <= MAXN; i++) if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: CRGreathouse
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Byte to BIT conversion

I have a varchar column which contains the data at ‘bit' level.the data needs to be extract / transform at bit level and this will contain a Boolean value - 0/1. How can we handle using shell scripts At source level(DB2 Database) we have a column of length 250 char ie varchar(250) so each char... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Codesearcher
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting String To Integer/Float (weird case)

Hi guys, I'm new here. I have a problem at work. One of our scripts was eventually having a bug and only detected recently. Here's the issue and background: Bash Script which calls AWK script Awk script returns a string as per below (example):var1='00000-123'So, when we convert it, the... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekfarok
18 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Weird 'find' results

Hello and thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me I'm trying to learn the find command and thought I was understanding it... Apparently I was wrong. I was doing compound searches and I started getting weird results with the -size test. I was trying to do a search on a 1G file owned by... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: bodisha
14 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Which version of Windows Vista to install with a product key? 32-bit or 64-bit?

Hello everyone. I bought a dell laptop (XPS M1330) online which came without a hard drive. There is a Windows Vista Ultimate OEMAct sticker with product key at the bottom case. I checked dell website (here) for this model and it says this model supports both 32 and 64-bit version of Windows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
4 Replies
portal(5)							File Formats Manual							 portal(5)

NAME
portal - a "window to the future" for applications SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
This header file is a "window to the future" for applications. It will help you to: o Write code that is portable across 32-bit and 64-bit systems, o Avoid undocumented assumptions about sizes of integral types, o Write portable code that needs to be explicit about the sizes of integral types, o Write code that is portable to a platform which has different sizes of integral types, and o Share frequently used macros that are portable across 32-bit and 64-bit systems. In addition to the macros defined in this file, it includes the header files (see limits(5)) and (see inttypes(5)). The following macros are defined in This macro can be used to create a mask that has one bit set. bit_num is the position of the bit to set, and type is the data type of the mask. A -1 is returned in the case of overflow or underflow. This macro can be used to set a bit in a mask. mask is the current value of the mask, bit_num is the position of the bit to set, and type is the data type of the mask. This macro can be used to return the bit position of the sign bit for the specified data type. type is the data type for which to return the position of the sign bit. This macro can be used to return a mask for the sign bit for the specified data type. type is the data type for which to return the sign bit mask. This macro can be used to do a sign extension from one data type to another. value is the current value that is to be sign-extended. old_type is the current data type of value and new_type is the new data type of value. This macro can be used to check if code has been compiled big or little endian. endian is an integer in which the result will be returned. The following macros can be used for print formatting and scan formatting of values of data types that can change in size based upon the compilation flag Examples of such data types are off_t and fpos_t. EXAMPLES
The macro in the following example will turn on the high bit in a 64-bit integer. The macro in the following example will be used to turn on all bits except the sign bit in a 32-bit integer. The macro in the following example will turn on the three least significant bits of the maximum integer. The macro in the following example will return the position of the sign bit in a 32-bit integer. The macro in the following example will return a sign bit mask for a 32-bit integer. The macro in the following example will convert the 8-bit integer stored in a char data type to a 64-bit integer and correctly extend the sign. The macro in the following example will store a 1 in endian if the compilation was big endian; otherwise, it will store a 0 in endian. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. FILES
SEE ALSO
inttypes(5), limits(5), printf(3S), scanf(3S). portal(5)