Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed: remove first character from particular line Post 302317687 by Franklin52 on Tuesday 19th of May 2009 03:33:06 PM
Old 05-19-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkansal
Any way to do it through sed, just for my information and learning!
Code:
sed 's/^#c1/c1/' file # to uncomment
sed 's/^c1/#c1/' file # to comment

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Last Character of Line

Hi, I need to put the single line contents of a file into a variable, but remove the last character, for example the file would have this sort of contents: 2;4;3;10;67;54;96; And I want the variable to be: 2;4;3;10;67;54;96 (notice the last ";" has gone). Unfortunately I can't just... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: danhodges99
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove character ['

I have a huge file where the each column has data in the format: . I want to remove the from each value. How do I do it with sed? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishabh
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove space in sed for / character

Hi... i need a script to remove the space before and after the operator like( / ). Ex : Input file apple / manago mango / fresh apple / fresh Desired output: apple/manago mango/fresh apple/fresh Note: betwee the desired operator space should be removed, between words do not remove... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanth_vadalur
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

How to remove new line character and append new line character in a file?

Hi Experts, I have data coming in 4 columns and there are new line characters \n in between the data. I need to remove the new line characters in the middle of the row and keep the \n character at the end of the line. File is comma (,) seperated. Eg: ID,Client ,SNo,Rank 37,Airtel \n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikari
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to remove a character using sed

Hi All, I have output like this below ldprod/03 ldprod/02 ldprod/01 ldprod/00 ldnprod/ ldnprod/030 I want only remove all character including / ldprod ldprod ldprod ldprod ldprod ldnprod (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove last character in each line

Hi guys, Does anyone know how to remove the last character in each of the line? This is what I have: ABCDE.1 GLSJD.2 HIJPL.2 HKAGB.3 IUBWQ.1 What I want (remove the dot and number): ABCDE GLSJD HIJPL HKAGB IUBWQ I tried to use this: sed 's/.*//' But I'm not sure if that is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: narachaid
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: delete on each line before a character and after a character

Hi there, A total sed noob here. Is there a way using sed to delete everything before a character AND after another character on each line in a file? The deletion should also delete the indicating characters(here: an opening and a closing parenthesis). The original file would look like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bnbsd
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to remove / and character using awk or sed

Below i am trying to remove "/" and "r" from the output, so i need output as: hdiskpower3 hdisk0 hdisk1 #inq | grep 5773 | awk '{print $1}' | sed 's/dev//g' | awk -F"/" '{$1=$1}1' .....................................................//rhdiskpower0 //rhdiskpower1 //rhdiskpower2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - remove begin of line up to the third and including occurence of character

hello. How to remove all characters in a line from first character ( a $ ) until and including the third occurrence of that character ( $ ). Any help is welcome. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to remove first and last character using sed

Hi I have file in below format. How i can remove the first and lost comma from this below file ,001E:001F,,,02EE,0FED:0FEF, I need output has below 001E:001F,,,02EE,0FED:0FEF (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
6 Replies
HOTSWAPRC(5)							File Formats Manual						      HOTSWAPRC(5)

NAME
hotswaprc - configuration file for hotswap DESCRIPTION
/etc/hotswaprc is the global configuration file for the hotswap utility. It allows system administrators to specify arbitrary shell scripts to be run after a device is inserted, as well as before and after it is removed. Scripts are selected according to the model name retrieved from the device. This is particularly helpful for automatic configura- tion of CD-RW drives, which require SCSI emulation and bypass normal access via the IDE subsystem. hotswaprc is implemented as an Extensible Mark-up Language (XML) application. XML documents are structured using elements of the form <tag-name> content <tag-name>. A Document Type Definition (DTD) describes the possible content of each element. Please refer to the XML specification for more information. The hotswap distribution also contains an example file, doc/hotswaprc.example, which includes the DTD for the configuration file format. ELEMENTS
<hotswap> This is the root element of the document. Each valid hotswaprc must contain exactly one <hotswap> element. The <hotswap> element may contain an arbitrary number of <device> elements. <device> The configuration file contains one <device> element for every device for which scripts are defined. The <device> element is com- posed of the following elements in this order: <name>, <post-insert>, <pre-remove>, <post-remove>. All but <name> are optional. <name> The content of this element is the model identification string of the IDE device the current <device> element refers to. <post-insert> Contains the shell script that is to be executed after the device has been inserted and registered with the kernel. <pre-remove> Contains the shell script that is to be run before hotswap attempts to unregister the device. <post-remove> Contains the shell script that is to be run after the device had been unregistered. REPORT BUGS
Report bugs to t.stadelmann1@physics.ox.ac.uk. AUTHOR
Written by Tim Stadelmann. SEE ALSO
hotswap(1), xhotswap(1). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2002-2003 Tim Stadelmann. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL), Version 2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. 26th November 2002 HOTSWAPRC(5)