Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed command - help me understand Post 302317575 by devtakh on Tuesday 19th of May 2009 10:43:44 AM
Old 05-19-2009
1. This will give the current time minus 1 min in the form of hh:mm
Code:
date +%R -d "-1 min"

This will print the lines begining (line that matches the above hh:mm time) till the end of the line for the file req.txt

Code:
sed -n "/ $(date +\%R -d "-1 min")/,$"p req.txt

This will count the no of lines returned
Code:
 wc -l

so
Code:
sed -n "/ $(date +\%R -d "-1 min")/,$"p req.txt| wc -l

will o/p no of lines.

2. This will print lines between the lines that matches 19:00 and till 22:00
Code:
awk '/19:00/,/22:00/' app.log

From the above lines, it will filter only the lines that contain the string mytesturl

Code:
awk '/19:00/,/22:00/' app.log |grep "mytesturl"

From the returned lines, this will print field no 1,6 and 10 only which are comma seperated
Code:
awk '/19:00/,/22:00/' app.log |grep "mytesturl"|grep ',900,'|awk -F, '{print $1, $6, $10}'

This will print only field 2 from the above lines

Code:
awk '/19:00/,/22:00/' app.log |grep "mytesturl"|grep ',900,'|awk -F, '{print $1, $6, $10}' | awk '{print $2}'

The sed command and sort and uniq:
sed will look for string like :hh.mmm and replace with nothing and its o/p is sorted and then count on the uniq values

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't understand sar command

HI Experts, Can anyone pls help me to understand this.. >sar 20:05:00 1 2 1 96 20:10:00 2 2 10 87 20:15:00 1 2 19 78 20:20:00 1 2 14 83 20:25:00 1 2 16 81 20:30:00 1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shaan_dmp
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

Need help to understand chatr command

Hi, I am trying to find the max memory utilization of a binary file using chatr command. i gave chatr <file name>. But no where i could see the max memory usage of the file. How do you i check the memory usage of this binary file. Upto my knowledge it should be 1.75GB in HP-UX. But the does... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kprasanna_79
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

trying to understand what sed is doing?

Can someone help me understand why sed '/host/ s/$/QQQ/g' junk is taking the file 'junk' which is this: host Example_1 filename-"gfnwd.cfg"; hardware-ethernet-00:13:11:fd:7a:88; fixed-address-10.10.6.19; } host Example_2 filename-"gfnwd_280.cfg";... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheBigAmbulance
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

I can't understand sed error output.

Hey forum, I have a problem with a script what used to work, but suddenly is not working anymore. I have been trying different things for an hour now and I give up :D . #!/bin/sh asukoht=`pwd` template=$1 for values in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mario8eren
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not able to understand the output of w command

I have taken putty session of a server from two separate machines namely HOST1(3 sessions) and HOST2(1 Session) . However w command says there are 5 users Confused over the output any clue will be appreciated. # w 09:29:36 up 34 days, 15:48, 5 users, load average: 0.62, 4.33, 8.16 USER ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to understand use exec command

Hi i am in learning phase of unix. i was going through exec in a unix book. below is the command exec n>file exec n>>file however when i used the exec command like below , where ex is the file name exec 2>>exand then do ls -lrt then again when i do the ls -lrt to see the size of the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

I am learning regular expression in sed,Please help me understand the use curly bracket in sed,

I am learning SED and just following the shell scripting book, i have trouble understanding the grep and sed statement, Question : 1 __________ /opt/oracle/work/antony>cat teledir.txt jai sharma 25853670 chanchal singhvi 9831545629 anil aggarwal 9830263298 shyam saksena 23217847 lalit... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Antony Ankrose
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

understand sed

cat teledir.txt jai sharma 25853670 chanchal singhvi 9831545629 anil aggarwal 9830263298 shyam saksena 23217847 lalit chowdury 26688726 If i use the below command , it is giving me the output with "," in between two name. how ? and also i would like to know the reason for the space used in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Antony Ankrose
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to understand the command

Hi Gurus, I am new for Unix scripting. below command in one existing script. I am not able to fully understand. please help in below command, I am not able to understand what's {P=1} do thanks in advance awk 'NF==1{$3=$1;$1=L}P&&NF>=3{print $1,$3;L=$1}/^___/{P=1}' FILE (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: green_k
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help understand awk command

Help understand awk command This command converts the column values to rows. Command: awk -s1=" " '{S=S?S OFS s1 $0 s1:s1 $0 s1} END{print S}' OFS=, Input_file Example: 1 2 3 is converted to: 1, 2, 3 Can anyone please help me understand this command? Please use code tags when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan44
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)