Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed: remove first character from particular line Post 302317502 by hkansal on Tuesday 19th of May 2009 07:04:23 AM
Old 05-19-2009
sed: remove first character from particular line

Hello Experts,

I have a file "tt.txt" which is like:
Code:
#a1=a2
b1=b2
#c1=c2

I need to remove the pound (#) sign from a particular line. In this case let us assume it's 3rd line : "#c1=c2"

I can do it through:
Code:
sed "s/#c1=c2/c1=c2/" tt.txt

but it is possible that I may not know the value "c2" due to which I would not be able to use the above command.

Please point me in the right direction.

Thank You.

Regards,
HKansal

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Last Character of Line

Hi, I need to put the single line contents of a file into a variable, but remove the last character, for example the file would have this sort of contents: 2;4;3;10;67;54;96; And I want the variable to be: 2;4;3;10;67;54;96 (notice the last ";" has gone). Unfortunately I can't just... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: danhodges99
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove character ['

I have a huge file where the each column has data in the format: . I want to remove the from each value. How do I do it with sed? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishabh
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove space in sed for / character

Hi... i need a script to remove the space before and after the operator like( / ). Ex : Input file apple / manago mango / fresh apple / fresh Desired output: apple/manago mango/fresh apple/fresh Note: betwee the desired operator space should be removed, between words do not remove... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanth_vadalur
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

How to remove new line character and append new line character in a file?

Hi Experts, I have data coming in 4 columns and there are new line characters \n in between the data. I need to remove the new line characters in the middle of the row and keep the \n character at the end of the line. File is comma (,) seperated. Eg: ID,Client ,SNo,Rank 37,Airtel \n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikari
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to remove a character using sed

Hi All, I have output like this below ldprod/03 ldprod/02 ldprod/01 ldprod/00 ldnprod/ ldnprod/030 I want only remove all character including / ldprod ldprod ldprod ldprod ldprod ldnprod (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove last character in each line

Hi guys, Does anyone know how to remove the last character in each of the line? This is what I have: ABCDE.1 GLSJD.2 HIJPL.2 HKAGB.3 IUBWQ.1 What I want (remove the dot and number): ABCDE GLSJD HIJPL HKAGB IUBWQ I tried to use this: sed 's/.*//' But I'm not sure if that is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: narachaid
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: delete on each line before a character and after a character

Hi there, A total sed noob here. Is there a way using sed to delete everything before a character AND after another character on each line in a file? The deletion should also delete the indicating characters(here: an opening and a closing parenthesis). The original file would look like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bnbsd
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to remove / and character using awk or sed

Below i am trying to remove "/" and "r" from the output, so i need output as: hdiskpower3 hdisk0 hdisk1 #inq | grep 5773 | awk '{print $1}' | sed 's/dev//g' | awk -F"/" '{$1=$1}1' .....................................................//rhdiskpower0 //rhdiskpower1 //rhdiskpower2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - remove begin of line up to the third and including occurence of character

hello. How to remove all characters in a line from first character ( a $ ) until and including the third occurrence of that character ( $ ). Any help is welcome. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to remove first and last character using sed

Hi I have file in below format. How i can remove the first and lost comma from this below file ,001E:001F,,,02EE,0FED:0FEF, I need output has below 001E:001F,,,02EE,0FED:0FEF (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
6 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)