Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers how to display paths of files in a directory Post 302317306 by Villaman69 on Monday 18th of May 2009 04:20:47 PM
Old 05-18-2009
how to display paths of files in a directory

hi guys
does anyone know how to display the file paths of the files stored within a directory at the command terminal?
e.g. if i have a directory called "home", how do i display the file paths of the files inside the directory?
cheers

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tail-alike display of new files in directory

The system I work on, produces several kinds of status-files in a single directory. I would like to be able to see the files as they are added to this directory. I was wondering if it would be possible to get a "tail -f" alike view of the ls-command, in such a way that a newly added file is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rschelkers
4 Replies

2. Solaris

find home directory paths for all users

How to find al the user's home directories? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2156z
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find files and display only directory list containing those files

I have a directory (and many sub dirs beneath) on AIX system, containing thousands of file. I'm looking to get a list of all directory containing "*.pdf" file. I know basic syntax of find command, but it gives me list of all pdf files, which numbers in thousands. All I need to know is, which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: r7p
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat a list of directory paths only to a file

Hi! I would like to funnel a series of directories and subdirectories into a text file. This is the output I would like to see from a find command: /mypath/ABC_01/VISIT_01 /mypath/ABC_01/VISIT_02 /mypath/ABC_01/VISIT_03 /mypath/ABC_02/VISIT_01 /mypath/ABC_03/VISIT_01 I've tried: find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodbenito
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to export Directory paths through Script

Following is the output of .profile file - $ cat /home/estdm2/.profile #!/bin/ksh set -o vi alias l="ls -ltr" umask 002 Following is the path setting script. $ cat DM_ENV_VARS_NEW.ksh #!/bin/ksh . /home/estdm2/.profile sEnv=$1 echo "We are in ${sEnv} environment" echo "STEP010... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumeet
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to replace directory paths

Hi all, I have written a bash script to do a few things for my Splunk deployment, however, I am currently stuck on one part... I need to the current working directory (I collect this with `pwd`) in the script as it could in theory be run from a number of locations. I'm not that great with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TauntaunHerder
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Display the number of files in a directory and recursively in each subdirectory

Display the number of files in a directory and recursively in each subdirectory To look something like below, for example /var 35 /var/tmp 56 /var/adm 46 Any ideas how can we do this? :wall: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jakerock
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Display the number of files in a directory and recursively in each subdirectory

Display the number of files in a directory and recursively in each subdirectory To look something like below, for example /var 35 /var/tmp 56 /var/adm 46Any ideas how can we do this? Got a sun cluser global mount point which takes ages to mount everytime, need to understand... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakerock
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace directory paths in multiple files at once

I need to update about 2400 files in a directory subtree, with a new directory path inside the files I need to change this occurence in all files: /d2/R12AB/VIS/apps/tech_st/10.1.2 with this: /u01/PROD/apps/apps_st/10.1.3 I know how to change single words using "find . -type f -print0 |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wicus
6 Replies

10. Web Development

Apache2 does not display files inside directory

Hello, I have been running Ubuntu14.04 + apache2. 000-default.conf: <VirtualHost *:80> ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost DocumentRoot /var/www/html ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined <Directory... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
5 Replies
WHEREIS(1)							   User Commands							WHEREIS(1)

NAME
whereis - locate the binary, source, and manual page files for a command SYNOPSIS
whereis [options] [-BMS directory... -f] name... DESCRIPTION
whereis locates the binary, source and manual files for the specified command names. The supplied names are first stripped of leading pathname components and any (single) trailing extension of the form .ext (for example: .c) Prefixes of s. resulting from use of source code control are also dealt with. whereis then attempts to locate the desired program in the standard Linux places, and in the places specified by $PATH and $MANPATH. OPTIONS
-b Search only for binaries. -m Search only for manuals. -s Search only for sources. -u Only show the command names that have unusual entries. A command is said to be unusual if it does not have just one entry of each explicitly requested type. Thus 'whereis -m -u *' asks for those files in the current directory which have no documentation file, or more than one. -B list Limit the places where whereis searches for binaries, by a whitespace-separated list of directories. -M list Limit the places where whereis searches for manuals, by a whitespace-separated list of directories. -S list Limit the places where whereis searches for sources, by a whitespace-separated list of directories. -f Terminates the directory list and signals the start of filenames. It must be used when any of the -B, -M, or -S options is used. -l Output list of effective lookup paths the whereis is using. When non of -B, -M, or -S is specified the option will out hard coded paths that the command was able to find on system. EXAMPLE
To find all files in /usr/bin which are not documented in /usr/man/man1 or have no source in /usr/src: $ cd /usr/bin $ whereis -u -ms -M /usr/man/man1 -S /usr/src -f * FILE SEARCH PATHS
By default whereis tries to find files from hard-coded paths, which are defined with glob patterns. The command attempst to use contents of $PATH and $MANPATH environment variables as default search path. The easiest way to know what paths are in use is to add -l listing option. Effects of the -B, -M, and -S are display with -l. AVAILABILITY
The whereis command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux March 2013 WHEREIS(1)