Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: file transfer using scp..
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting file transfer using scp.. Post 302317123 by pludi on Monday 18th of May 2009 05:47:23 AM
Old 05-18-2009
O'Rly? (Tested on Linux & HP-UX)
Code:
$ ssh host1 'test -e /etc/resolv.conf' ; echo $?
$ ssh host1 'test -e /etc/resolv.confa' ; echo $?
$ ssh host1a 'test -e /etc/resolv.conf' ; echo $?
ssh: host1a: Name or service not known
$ ssh host1a 'test -e /etc/resolv.confa' ; echo $?
ssh: host1a: Name or service not known
$ ssh user@host2 'test -e /etc/resolv.conf' ; echo $?
ksh: test: argument expected
$ ssh user@host2 'test -f /etc/resolv.conf' ; echo $?
$ ssh user@host2 'test -f /etc/resolv.confa' ; echo $?

OpenSSH always passes back the return code of the command, your only problem might be if the command returns 255, since that would make it difficult to discern between an SSH error and an application error.

Maybe your hosts' test command doesn't know about the -e switch. Use -f instead (which doesn't check for existence but whether it's a file or not. Will fail on directories)

Last edited by pludi; 05-18-2009 at 06:56 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SCP file transfer command on solaris

I need to transfer multiple files using SCP between two solaris machines. Can somebody explain how to achieve that ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthum
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX - SCP File Transfer

Hi, How do i know if the files are transferred succesfully when i use SCP to transfer files between 2 servers. One more is i am trying to send all the files in a single shot by using * to save the connection time. So can i know when the scp breakes in the middle scp $sourcepath/*... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaykrc
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File transfer using SCP

I have a shell script which uses SCP command to transfer the files from one server to another server. The files are getting transferred successfully, but the problem is the files transferred to the destination server didnot have the permissions as that of the files on the source server. Command... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarm
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

scp command for multiple file transfer.

FILE_LIST="{a.txt,b.txt,cal*}" scp -r $..$REMOTE_PATH$FILE_LIST $LOCAL_PATH This script passes only when all the three files are transfere, wat if only two file are transfered, but still I was to make the return code as pass. is it possible. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sangea
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

scp command for file transfer

I am not able to throw a file from server173 to server067 i.e. wlsuser@server173> scp /tmp/harsha.txt wlsuser@server067:/tmp fails However, I am able to pull a file from server173 onto server067's /tmp dir wlsuser@server067> scp wlsuser@server173:/tmp/harsha.txt /tmp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shifahim
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SCP - File transfer message

Whenever I transfer file through SCP between two server it gives below given message.....Is there a way to avoid it.... Target server : newyork $ scp ABC27801.iue newyork:./iABC/x0017801.iue Message ===== This system is for the use of authorized users only. Individuals using this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pash
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SCP File Transfer

I have 3 AIX server namely - Server 1 , Server 2 and Server 3. And have done SCP setup between Server 1 and Server 2 so that i dont have to give password when i transfer file from Server 1 to Server 2 by setting public key between the server. Q1. If the unix password of the target server... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SCP File Transfer

On unix AIX server, when I am trying to transfer file from one directory to another directory on the same server through a program(where i call the script) it gives error "Lost Connection". (5 Replies)
5 Replies

9. AIX

Problem using scp to transfer a file

I am testing the following command to transfer a file from my server (AIX 5.2) to another server. I was able to generate the keys and sent them the public key. scp -v -P 4030 /home/lawson/.ssh/jimtest.txt someuser@some.ftpsite.net:/Inbound/jimtest.txt > jimtest_out.txt 2>&1 Based on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Partial File Transfer using scp

I am trying to transfer a zip file of around 30 MB in my automation script using scp from system A to B. When I manually do scp, file is complete transferred but when automation shell script runs it, zip file is not completely transferred. Stack Trace while doing manual : Executing:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shaishav Shah
1 Replies
transfer::data::source(n)				     Data transfer facilities					 transfer::data::source(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
transfer::data::source - Data source SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.4 package require snit ?1.0? package require transfer::copy ?0.1? package require transfer::data::source ?0.1? transfer::data::source object ?options...? object destroy object type object data object size object valid msgvar object transmit channel blocksize done _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides objects mainly describing the origin of some data to transfer. They are also able to initiate transfers of the described information to a channel using the foundation package transfer::copy. API
transfer::data::source object ?options...? This command creates and configures a new source object. The fully qualified name of the object command is returned as the result of the command. The recognized options are listed below. It should be noted that the first four options are semi-exclusive, each specifying a dif- ferent type of data source and associated content. If these options are specified more than once then the last option specified is used to actually configure the object. -string text This option specifies that the source of the data is an immediate string, and its associated argument contains the string in question. -channel handle This option specifies that the source of the data is a channel, and its associated argument is the handle of the channel con- taining the data. -file path This option specifies that the source of the data is a file, and its associated argument is the path of the file containing the data. -variable varname This option specifies that the source of the data is a string stored in a variable, and its associated argument contains the name of the variable in question. The variable is assumed to be global or namespaced, anchored at the global namespace. -size int This option specifies the size of the data transfer. It is optional and defaults to -1. This value, and any other value less than zero signals to transfer all the data from the source. object destroy This method destroys the object. Doing so while a transfer initiated by the object is active is safe as all data required for the transfer itself was copied, and the completion of the transfer will not try to access the initiating object anymore. i.e. the trans- fer is completely separate from the source object itself. object type This method returns a string describing the type of the data the object is refering to. The possible values and their meanings are: undefined No data was specified at all, or it was specified incompletely. The object does not know the type. string The data to transfer is contained in a string. channel The data to transfer is contained in a channel. object data This method returns a value depending on the type of the data the object refers to, through which the data can be accessed. The method throws an error if the type is undefined. For type string the returned result is the data itself, whereas for type channel the returned result is the handle of the channel containing the data. object size This method returns a value depending on the type of the data the object refers to, the size of the data. The method throws an error if the type is undefined. Return of a negative value signals that the object is unable to determine an absolute size upfront (like for data in a channel). object valid msgvar This method checks the configuration of the object for validity. It returns a boolean flag as result, whose value is True if the object is valid, and False otherwise. In the latter case the variable whose name is stored in msgvar is set to an error message describing the problem found with the configuration. Otherwise this variable is not touched. object transmit channel blocksize done This method initiates a transfer of the referenced data to the specified channel. When the transfer completes the command prefix done is invoked, per the rules for the option -command of command transfer::copy::do in the package transfer::copy. The blocksize specifies the size of the chunks to transfer in one go. See the option -blocksize of command transfer::copy::do in the package transfer::copy. KEYWORDS
channel, copy, data source, transfer COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2006 Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> transfer 0.1 transfer::data::source(n)