Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Return name of running WM in bash? Post 302316315 by cfajohnson on Thursday 14th of May 2009 06:22:54 PM
Old 05-14-2009

Bash cannot know what window manager is running unless there is an environment variable set by the window manager.

In my environment, I see three variables that contain the name of my WM:

Code:
$ set | grep -i maker
DESKTOP_SESSION=03WindowMaker
GDMSESSION=03WindowMaker
WMAKER_BIN_NAME=/usr/bin/wmaker

If you have no such variables, you can search the output of ps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return code for parallel running threads

Hi, How to use the return code, for parallel running threads. Ex- grep pattern1 file1 file2 file3 file4 & grep pattern1 file5 file6 file7 file8 & grep pattern1 file9 file10 file11 file12 & return_code=$? if (return_code -eq 0) then echo "pattern found" else echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jitendriya.dash
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

return part of a string in bash

Hi, I would like to return the last part of a string in an array of strings in bash. The array contains in each position the content below: and I would like to return only the last part of each string. The correct result would be: How can I do that in bash using AWK?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anishkumarv
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - multiple line carriage return

Hello! I have one strange question - let's say I have a long, multiple-line string displayed on the terminal using echo, and I would like to make a carriage return to the beginning of this string, no to the beginning of the last line - is something like that possible? I would like to be able to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xqwzts
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suppressing carriage return in bash alias

I'd like to create an alias that displays my string but leaves my cursor at the end. Not seeing any examples of this. One indirect way might be to preload or stuff the history buffer, so I just hit up arrow. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tns1
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return variable value from a script running in background

I have a script which runs a script in the background. Now the script running in background returns some variable value and i want to catch return value in the parent script. e.g. Parent Script : #!/bin/bash ./Back.sh & pid=$! echo "a=$a" echo "b=$b" echo "d=$((a+b))" wait $pid ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shaishav Shah
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect in bash to get the return value

cat test.sh #!/bin/sh expect <<- EOF set timeout 5 spawn ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no lyang0@128.224.178.245 -C mkdir -p /tmp expect { "Password:" {send "root\r"} } spawn scp -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no /tmp/1 lyang0@128.224.178.245:/tmp/ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for a return value weather smartctl is running a (short) selftest or not

Hey guys, I'm kinda stuck here.. I'm trying to write a script, which should start a short selftest via smartctl, for example smartctl -t short /dev/sda and after the test is finished I want it to write the new smartvalues in a logfile. well... Now I need a return value for wether the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phill971
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Losing carriage return (X0D) after running awk command

Hi Forum. I'm running the following awk command to extract the suffix value (pos 38) from the "AM00" record and append to the end of the "AM01" record. awk 'substr($0,13,4)=="AM00" {SUFFIX = substr($0,38,2)} substr($0,13,4)=="AM01" {$0 = $0 SUFFIX} 1' before.txt > after.txt Before.txt:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash - Validating return code 0

Hi All, I am trying a script out that will startup on one of my servers. i wanted to check for RC 0 and if it didnt check out, exit. Typo- This is BASH (Redhat) This isnt working, and this is the best way to do error checking I feel. Heres my erorr ./start: line 25: syntax error near... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to return from background process and check if it is running or not?

Hi Team, i am executing 3 scripts in background from 1 script and i want to send a message once the script gets completed.these scripts usually takes 1 hr to complete. My sample script is below, Vi abc.sh sh /opt/data/Split_1.sh & sh /opt/data/Split_2.sh & sh /opt/data/Split_3.sh & ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju2016
3 Replies
SYSPROFILE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     SYSPROFILE(8)

NAME
sysprofile - modular centralized shell configuration DESCRIPTION
sysprofile is a generic approach to configure shell settings in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysad- mins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/sysprofile shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are contained in the /etc/sysprofile.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by /etc/sysprofile. This mechanism is set up by inserting a small shell routine into /etc/profile for login shells and optionally into /etc/bashrc and/or /etc/bash.bashrc for non-login shells from where the actual /etc/sysprofile script is invoked: if [ -f /etc/sysprofile ]; then . /etc/sysprofile fi For using "sysprofile" under X11, one can source it in a similar way from /etc/X11/Xsession or your X display manager's Xsession file to provide the same shell environment as under the console in X11. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/sysprofile/ for illustration. For usage of terminal emulators with a non-login bash shell under X11, take care to enable sysprofile via /etc/bash.bashrc. If not set this way, your terminal emulators won't come up with the environment defined by the scripts in /etc/sysprofile.d/. Users not wanting /etc/sysprofile to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosysprofile in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/sysprofile.d/ can be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.sysprofile.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/sysprofile.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syspro- file.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private script inventions to be automagically executed by /etc/sysprofile at login time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /etc/sysprofile.d/ and the manual pages bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at logout time check out the related package syslogout(8) which is a very close compan- ion to sysprofile. BUGS
sysprofile in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
sysprofile was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSPROFILE(8)