Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix (not Linux) on x86 chips? Post 302316274 by Padow on Thursday 14th of May 2009 03:16:03 PM
Old 05-14-2009
AIX runs on Power
Solaris runs on Sparc (and now OpenSolaris on i86)
Not sure what HPUX runs on.
Padow

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Clustering solution for RH Linux AS and Solaris x86/AMD 64

Dear All Experts, Would like to know the maturity/ stability of Redhat Linux AS 3.0 and Solaris. My organization need to setup cluster solution. We are well-versed with Veritas Cluster on Solaris. We are thinking of waiting for certification support of the various ISV like Oracle, Veritas... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: izy100
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dual boot x86 Sol 10, and Linux

I've loaded sol 10, and I left 20 Gig of 70 free, I can't seem to find a straight forward proc. for loading the Linux RH. Does anyone have one, or can they point me to one ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdel80
0 Replies

3. Linux

Linux ES 4 Update 4 (x86)

I have cdrom with the following files which I copieed on my hard drive. RHEL4-U4-i386-ES-disc1.iso RHEL4-U4-i386-ES-disc4.iso RHEL4-U4-i386-ES-disc2.iso RHEL4-U4-i386-ES-disc5.iso RHEL4-U4-i386-ES-disc3.iso What shell I do now to upgrade linux version. :o Thank you zam (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
6 Replies

4. Linux

linux-gate - x86 - a few questions

I'm aware of the linux-gate VDSO used to implement the sysenter mechanism for system calls. On older kernels this was mapped to a static location in the address space of each process. Newer kernels allow this to be dynamically located (though I don't think it's used by any distribution yet). How... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: G_Morgan
0 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

What are Your Favorite Chips? Mine are Doritos Nacho Cheesier!

By far, Doritos Nacho Cheesier are the best tasting chips, well at least too me. Have you tried them? What are your favorite chips? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

veritas volume manager for x86 linux

Dear All, I am running 32 bit RHEL5 in vmware platform ( windows XP ). Is there any free version of veritas volume manager available, if yes please provide the link. Regards, snjksh. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snjksh
1 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

40 years of chips

I've been thinking about modern CPUs. Apart from x86 and SPARC, is there any other 'kind' of CPU used today in computers (not in playstation3, phones and similar) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
6 Replies

8. SuSE

Upgrading from Suse Linux 10.1(x86-64)

Hi I don't know if this is good place for this post. I`m using a laptop whit suse Linux 10.1 installed on it (since I bought it) and its only Importance is one industrial 3d scan software installed on it. its an old laptop whit an old version of Linux is it possible to backup this installed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mkhb75
1 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Apple looking to switch to using in-house ARM chips for their HW.

Hi guys and gals... Intel reportedly expects Apple to start the Mac's transition to ARM next year - 9to5Mac (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
0 Replies
PMC_ENABLE(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					     PMC_ENABLE(3)

NAME
pmc_disable, pmc_enable -- administrative control of hardware performance counters LIBRARY
Performance Counters Library (libpmc, -lpmc) SYNOPSIS
#include <pmc.h> int pmc_disable(int cpu, int pmc); int pmc_enable(int cpu, int pmc); DESCRIPTION
These functions allow specific hardware performance monitoring counters in a system to be disabled and enabled administratively. The hard- ware performance counters available on each CPU are numbered using small non-negative integers, in a system dependent manner. Disabled coun- ters will not be available to applications for use. The invoking process needs to have the PRIV_PMC_MANAGE privilege to perform these operations. Function pmc_disable() disables the hardware counter numbered by argument pmc on CPU number cpu. Function pmc_enable() enables the hardware counter numbered by argument pmc on CPU number cpu. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
Hardware PMCs that are currently in use by applications cannot be disabled. Allocation of a process scope software PMC marks all hardware PMCs in the system with the same pmc number as being in-use. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the value 0 is returned; otherwise the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
A call to these functions may fail with the following errors: [EBUSY] Function pmc_disable() specified a hardware PMC is currently in use. [EINVAL] Arguments cpu or pmc were invalid. [ENXIO] Argument cpu specified a disabled or absent CPU. [EPERM] The current process lacks sufficient privilege to perform this operation. SEE ALSO
pmc(3), pmc_cpuinfo(3), pmc_pmcinfo(3), hwpmc(4), pmccontrol(8), priv_check(9) BSD
September 22, 2008 BSD