Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Hardware address to physical location Post 302316222 by mhenryj on Thursday 14th of May 2009 11:47:43 AM
Old 05-14-2009
Hardware address to physical location

Hello

How do I deternine the physical location of an ethernet port, based on the hardware address?

I have 4 ports on a 9133-55A

ent0 05-08
ent1 05-09
ent2 07-08
ent3 07-09

Two of these are internal, and two are on a card. I need to single out ent0 and ent2, but I cannot find any documentation to match address to locations.

Thanks in advence
Mike

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Physical and Logical IP address

Hi all I need command to give logical and physical IP Address for my machine. thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: magasem
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to detect ip address based location using PHP

I am interested in finding out if there is a reliable and economical way for extracting user's location based on his ip address, using php I tried to get the job done using ip2location.com, but I am not happy how it deals with result inconsistently. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siftin-com
2 Replies

3. Solaris

is it possible to add physical hardware to a zone

Dear All, is it possible to add physical hardware to a zone like, cdrom, processor book, scsi controller ?, r else any disk.... any thing that will b a physical hardware!! is it possible.... if possible please tel me the steps while Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
7 Replies

4. Solaris

Add Static Routes to new physical address

Hi, I need help to add new route: 10.252.0.138, GW 10.252.0.129 to e1000g1 and 10.252.0.10, GW 10.252.0.1 to e1000g2 tnx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehrdad68
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Error message WARNING: IP: Hardware address

Dear All, I Have machine SF E4900 with SunOS 5.10 Generic_118833-24 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire. I check my server have error message like this : Jun 3 18:57:39 ip: WARNING: IP: Hardware address '00:14:4f:67:00:92' trying to be our address 172.020.004.029! Jun 3 19:00:23 last message... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mbah_jiman
1 Replies

6. Programming

help with C++ code that relate the object with physical address

I need some help to write a C++ code that read and write the register of a sequencer. I have to make a code that relate the objects with the physical address but I am a bit confuse. Could someone suggest me how to proceed? in which parts do I split the code? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: silviafisica
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What would the physical address be for virtual address?

Hi guys, I got one problem which I definetily no idea. What would the physical address be for virtual address? 1) 2ABC 2) 3F4B Here is the page table:see attached Thank you sos sososososso much!! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lemon_06
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alias physical location.

Hi All, Please let me know where are the below Aliases are stored. alias l.='ls -d .* --color=tty' alias ll='ls -l --color=tty' alias ls='ls --color=tty' I tried searching it in my .bashrc and /etc/bashrc files but could not find :( . Your help is much appreciated. I am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manoj Indalkar
4 Replies

9. IP Networking

Where to find IP address to location data?

I'm trying to remotely probe a range of IP addresses. First I need a list of IP addresses for a very small geographic area. I've had a lot of trouble obtaining them. I would like to find a database or something. Suppose I do get the data. Can I see if that IP address is in use by someone? Can I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockandAir
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to write a value to a physical memory address in bash script?

How would I write a value to a physical memory address? I was able to read a physical memory address (for example, 0x400) using this line: dd if=/dev/mem count=4 bs=1 skip=$(( 0x400 )) But I get an error: dd: 'standard input': cannot skip to specified offset when I try to write using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rabrandt
1 Replies
mem(7D) 							      Devices								   mem(7D)

NAME
mem, kmem, allkmem - physical or virtual memory access SYNOPSIS
/dev/mem /dev/kmem /dev/allkmem DESCRIPTION
The file /dev/mem is a special file that provides access to the physical memory of the computer. The file /dev/kmem is a special file that provides access to the virtual address space of the operating system kernel, excluding memory that is associated with an I/O device. The file /dev/allkmem is a special file that provides access to the virtual address space of the operating system kernel, including memory that is associated with an I/O device. You can use any of these devices to examine and modify the system. Byte addresses in /dev/mem are interpreted as physical memory addresses. Byte addresses in /dev/kmem and /dev/allkmem are interpreted as kernel virtual memory addresses. A reference to a non-existent location returns an error. See ERRORS for more information. The file /dev/mem accesses physical memory; the size of the file is equal to the amount of physical memory in the computer. This size may be larger than 4GB on a system running the 32-bit operating environment. In this case, you can access memory beyond 4GB using a series of read(2) and write(2) calls, a pread64() or pwrite64() call, or a combination of llseek(2) and read(2) or write(2). ERRORS
EFAULT Occurs when trying to write(2) a read-only location (allkmem), read(2) a write-only location (allkmem), or read(2) or write(2) a non-existent or unimplemented location (mem, kmem, allkmem). EIO Occurs when trying to read(2) or write(2) a memory location that is associated with an I/O device using the /dev/kmem spe- cial file. ENXIO Results from attempting to mmap(2) a non-existent physical (mem) or virtual (kmem, allkmem) memory address. FILES
/dev/mem Provides access to the computer's physical memory. /dev/kmem Provides access to the virtual address space of the operating system kernel, excluding memory that is associated with an I/O device. /dev/allkmem Provides access to the virtual address space of the operating system kernel, including memory that is associated with an I/O device. SEE ALSO
llseek(2), mmap(2), read(2), write(2) WARNINGS
Using these devices to modify (that is, write to) the address space of a live running operating system or to modify the state of a hardware device is extremely dangerous and may result in a system panic if kernel data structures are damaged or if device state is changed. SunOS 5.10 18 Feb 2002 mem(7D)