Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: man page question
Operating Systems Solaris man page question Post 302316193 by fugitive on Thursday 14th of May 2009 10:39:49 AM
Old 05-14-2009
man page question

What does the last change means in man page .. does that this man page has not been updated since 2003 or something else ?

newfs-options

The options are documented in the newfs man page.

SunOS 5.10 Last change: 9 Dec 2003 1

System Administration Commands growfs(1M)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do you create a man page?

i've never done this before. i created a script that I placed in /usr/bin, but want to create a man page for it. i'm clueless thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: theDirtiest
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

adding a man page

I was wonderiong if ther is a way for a user to add a man page specific to thier account. similar to copying the .1 or .1.gz to /usr/share/man/man1 "cp *.1.gz /usr/share/man/man1". Except for using another folder as I don't have access to /usr/share/man/man1. I would think that this might involve... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacob358
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

scp-1.2.27 man page

Hi Guys, I'm looking for the man page for scp version 1.2.27 I have an old redhat server that has a few large scripts that use this version and I want to know what the -A flag does and the man page is not on there. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tornado
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

man page issue

Man page is not working my system. It is giving the following the following error > man ls gdbm fatal: read error with debug option > man -d ls ... .... ... ... using less as pager checking for locale en_US add_nls_manpath(): processing /usr/local/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/X11R6/man... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveenkumar_l
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Unable to get help from man page

Help, it seem that i am unable to get man help form solaris 10. I am running SunOS unknown 5.10 Generic_120012-14 i86pc i386 i86pc when ever i try to man a command what i get is "No manual entry" like the one below. # man grep No manual entry for grep. # man ls No manual entry for ls.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezsurf
8 Replies

6. Solaris

Creating a Man page for a command

Hi, I would like to develop a man page as the one we usually get when we execute man <command name>. This man page will be for a samll utility that i have written. If this is not possible then what are the available possibilites for creating such help. thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.amilineni
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error reading a man page

Hello, hope this is the correct forum for this question. I have created a man page, named nfwatchdog.1.gz. This man page was installed under /usr/share/man/man1. When I execute: man nfwatchdog from any location, the man page is incorrectly opened (I see ASCII garbage). But when I directly... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nardix
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to write a UNIX man page

I realise that with GNU 'info' a lot of developers become, dare I say it, quite lazy when it comes to providing a well written man page - and some argue they're not needed at all. But I find, in the products that I develop, that man pages are used more often for quick reference, and therefore the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cambridge
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man page in MANPATH not found

dear unix experts, the 'man' command on my system isn't finding a manpage that is in a MANPATH directory, or even when I specify the path directly: 12:56pm ilya@node1390 /idi/sabetilab/ilya/usr/share/man $ man -M . xemacs No manual entry for xemacs 12:56pm ilya@node1390... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: notestaff
4 Replies
growfs(1M)						  System Administration Commands						growfs(1M)

NAME
growfs - non-destructively expand a UFS file system SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/growfs [-M mount-point] [newfs-options] [raw-device] DESCRIPTION
growfs non-destructively expands a mounted or unmounted UNIX file system (UFS) to the size of the file system's slice(s). Typically, disk space is expanded by first adding a slice to a metadevice, then running the growfs command. When adding space to a mirror, you expand each submirror before expanding the file system. growfs will ``write-lock'' (see lockfs(1M)) a mounted file system when expanding. The length of time the file system is write-locked can be shortened by expanding the file system in stages. For instance, to expand a 1 Gbyte file system to 2 Gbytes, the file system can be grown in 16 Mbyte stages using the -s option to specify the total size of the new file system at each stage. The argument for -s is the number of sectors, and must be a multiple of the cylinder size. Note: The file system cannot be grown if a cylinder size of less than 2 is specified. Refer to the newfs(1M) man page for information on the options available when growing a file system. growfs displays the same information as mkfs during the expansion of the file system. If growfs is aborted, recover any lost free space by unmounting the file system and running the fsck command, or run the growfs command again. OPTIONS
Root privileges are required for all of the following options. -M mount-point The file system to be expanded is mounted on mount-point. File system locking (lockfs) will be used. newfs-options The options are documented in the newfs man page. raw-device Specifies the name of a raw metadevice or raw special device, residing in /dev/md/rdsk, or /dev/rdsk, respectively, including the disk slice, where you want the file system to be grown. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Expanding nonmetadevice slice for /export file system The following example expands a nonmetadevice slice for the /export file system. In this example, the existing slice, /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s3, is converted to a metadevice so additional slices can be concatenated. # metainit -f d8 2 1 c1t0d0s3 1 c2t0d0s3 # umount /export Example 2: Associate /export with new metadevice Edit the /etc/vfstab file to change the entry for /export to the newly defined metadevice, d8. # mount /export # growfs -M /export /dev/md/rdsk/d8 The first example starts by running the metainit command with the -f option to force the creation of a new concatenated metadevice d8, which consists of the existing slice /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s3 and a new slice /dev/dsk/c2t0d0s3. Next, the file system on /export must be unmounted. The /etc/vfstab file is edited to change the entry for /export to the newly defined metadevice name, rather than the slice name. After the file system is remounted, the growfs command is run to expand the file system. The file system will span the entire metade- vice when growfs completes. The -M option enables the growfs command to expand a mounted file system. During the expansion, write access for /export is suspended until growfs unlocks the file system. Read access is not affected, though access times are not kept when the lock is in effect. Example 3: Dynamic Expansion of /export file system The following example picks up from the previous one. Here, the /export file system mounted on metadevice d8 is dynamically expanded. # metattach d8 c0t1d0s2 # growfs -M /export /dev/md/rdsk/d8 This example begins by using the metattach command to dynamically concatenate a new slice, /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s2, to the end of an existing metadevice, d8. Next, the growfs command specifies that the mount-point is /export and that it is to be expanded onto the raw metadevice /dev/md/rdsk/d8. The file system will span the entire metadevice when growfs completes. During the expansion, write access for /export is suspended until growfs unlocks the file system. Read access is not affected, though access times are not kept when the lock is in effect. Example 4: Expanding mounted file system to existing mirror The following example expands a mounted file system /files, to an existing mirror, d80, which contains two submirrors, d9 and d10. # metattach d9 c0t2d0s5 # metattach d10 c0t3d0s5 # growfs -M /files /dev/md/rdsk/d80 In this example, the metattach command dynamically concatenates the new slices to each submirror. The metattach command must be run for each submirror. The mirror will automatically grow when the last submirror is dynamically concatenated. The mirror will grow to the size of the smallest submirror. The growfs command then expands the file system. The growfs command specifies that the mount-point is /files and that it is to be expanded onto the raw metadevice /dev/md/rdsk/d80. The file system will span the entire mirror when the growfs command completes. During the expansion, write access for the file system is suspended until growfs unlocks the file system. Read access is not affected, though access times are not kept when the lock is in effect. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWmdu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fsck(1M), lockfs(1M), mkfs(1M), metattach(1M), newfs(1M), attributes(5) Solaris Volume Manager Administration Guide LIMITATIONS
Only UFS file systems (either mounted or unmounted) can be expanded using the growfs command. Once a file system is expanded, it cannot be decreased in size. The following conditions prevent you from expanding file systems: When acct is activated and the accounting file is on the target device. When C2 security is activated and the logging file is on the target file system. When there is a local swap file in the target file system. When the file system is root (/), /usr, or swap. SunOS 5.10 9 Dec 2003 growfs(1M)