Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Amanda Configuration for Asymmetric encryption Post 302316148 by choogendyk on Thursday 14th of May 2009 07:59:20 AM
Old 05-14-2009
I don't have much time right now. I'll try to help, but you have to help yourself as well. You obviously changed more than just adding encryption when you modified your working system. You deleted other things from the configuration as well, rather than just adding something. I believe it is those deletions that are causing the specific errors you are getting. The error messages point to a specific line number in /etc/amanda/template.d/dumptypes. Look at that and see what it is referring to.

Did you keep a copy of your working system? Since you say it was working, you must have backups, right? Also, typically, when you radically edit a configuration file, you copy it first. For example, `cp -p amanda.conf amanda.conf.backup` before doing `vi amanda.conf`. So, look at your backup and get back things you deleted, or just recover the whole thing and then add the encryption without deleting anything.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File encryption/Key encryption ????

My dilemma, I need to send, deemed confidential, information via e-mail (SMTP). This information is sitting as a file on AIX. Typically I can send this data as a e-mail attachment via what we term a "mail filter" using telnet. I now would like to somehow encrypt the data and send it to a e-mail... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hugow
1 Replies

2. Solaris

amanda's amcheck fail in solaris 10

i got this error message when trying to run amcheck on solaris 10 (sparc). bash-3.00$ amcheck DailySet1 Amanda Tape Server Host Check ----------------------------- slot 10:read label `DailySet1-10', date `X'. NOTE: skipping tape-writable test Tape DailySet1-10 label ok NOTE: conf info... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: conandor
2 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

File encryption tools with MAC address as an encryption key

Hi all, I'm looking for secure file encryption tools that use MAC address as encryption key. FYI, I'm using Red Hat Enterprise Linux OS. For example: when A wants to send file to B A will encrypt the file with B's computer MAC/IP address as an encryption key This file can only be decrypted... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sergionicosta
2 Replies
AMCRYPT(8)						  System Administration Commands						AMCRYPT(8)

NAME
amcrypt - reference crypt program for Amanda symmetric data encryption SYNOPSIS
amcrypt DESCRIPTION
amcrypt requires aespipe, uuencode and gpg to work. Aespipe is available from : http://loop-aes.sourceforge.net amcrypt will search for the aespipe program in the following directories: /usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin. amcrypt calls amaespipe and pass the passphrase through file descriptor 3. The passphrase should be stored in ~amanda/.am_passphrase. HOW TO CREATE ENCRYPTION KEYS FOR AMCRYPT
1. Create 65 random encryption keys and encrypt those keys using gpg. Reading from /dev/random may take indefinitely long if kernel's random entropy pool is empty. If that happens, do some other work on some other console (use keyboard, mouse and disks). head -c 2925 /dev/random | uuencode -m - | head -n 66 | tail -n 65 | gpg --symmetric -a > ~amanda/.gnupg/am_key.gpg This will ask for a passphrase. Remember this passphrase as you will need it in the next step. 2. Store the passphrase inside the home-directory of the AMANDA-user and protect it with proper permissions: echo my_secret_passphrase > ~amanda/.am_passphrase chown amanda:disk ~amanda/.am_passphrase chmod 700 ~amanda/.am_passphrase KEY AND PASSPHRASE
amcrypt uses the same key to encrypt and decrypt data. It is very important to store and protect the key and the passphrase properly. Encrypted backup data can only be recovered with the correct key and passphrase. SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amanda.conf(5), aespipe(1), amaespipe(8), gpg(1) The Amanda Wiki: : http://wiki.zmanda.com/ AUTHOR
Kevin Till <kevin.till@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Amanda 3.3.1 02/21/2012 AMCRYPT(8)