Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Padding with zeros.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Padding with zeros. Post 302316002 by limshady411 on Wednesday 13th of May 2009 07:05:20 PM
Old 05-13-2009
Thanks Jim. This looks like it would do the trick. I can't get it working with my code though. I started using this:
Code:
while IFS=',' read first rest
do
  printf "%07d,%s\n" $first "$rest" >> newfile.csv
done< file.csv

which will pad the first field. But I would like to pad the second field. How do I get the code above to pad the second? Thanks much!

Here's the input file:
"100","100","ABC"
"100","200","ABC"
"100","300","ABC"

Here's the desired output:
"100","0000100","ABC"
"100","0000200","ABC"
"100","0000300","ABC"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Padding

Hi Can anyone tell me how to pad zeroes on the left side to a numeric string in unix shell scripting Your answer is very much appreciated Thanks Vijay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaygopalsk
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Padding zeros after removing commas in file

Hi Gurus, There is a ASCII file in which a comma is used as a seperator for the amount field when the amount exceed seven digits: e.g. 0001300,000. Now, this comma needs to be removed from this field, after padding leading zeros (to maintain the ASCII positions) e.g. 00001300000.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pranag21
1 Replies

3. Programming

Byte Padding

Hi, Can someone explain what is byte padding? For ex: struct emp{ char s; int b; char s1; int b1; long b3; char s3; } What will be the size of this structure? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: naan
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Padding in Unix

I have a file with different character counts on each line how do i make it with unique character counts. example: 1st line : ABCD 011 XYZ 0000 YYYY BBB TEADINGDA 2nd line: ABCD 011 xys 0010 YYYY BBB TEAD 3rd line : ABCD 022 YXU 000 UUU BBB TE 1st line is 43... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in padding leading zeros

Hi all, I have file with numeric values. I need to pad each value with leading zeros such that total lenght of each value is 16. Example: cat tmp.txt 502455 50255 5026 5027 5028 Output 0000000000502455 0000000000050255 0000000000005026 0000000000005027 0000000000005028 Any... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash typeset padding with zeros

Hi everybody, I have a question about typesetting. I originally wrote a script for use with ksh and now I am on a system that I cannot modify, and it only has bash. In the original script I just did typeset -RZ4 variable and it would add the leading zeros. In bash, it doesn't work. I've... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwheeler
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zero padding dates

I have a file with records containing dates like: SMPBR|DUP-DO NOT USE|NEW YORK||16105|BA5270715|2007-6-6|MWERNER|109||||JOHN||SMITH|MD|72211118||||||74559|21 WILMINGTON RD||D|2003-11-6|SL# MD CONTACT-LIZ RICHARDS|||0|Y|N||1411458| How can I get the date fields in each of my records to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Padding leading zero

hi All i am new to linux... source txt .. 281-BUM-5M BUM-5M 0 0 282-BUM-5M BUM-5M 0 0 83-BUM-5M BUM-5M 0 0 is it possible to use bash script to convert to (remove the "-" and fill up to 4 digit" ? 0281 BUM-5M BUM-5M 0 0 0282 BUM-5M BUM-5M 0 0 0083 BUM-5M BUM-5M 0 0 thanks a ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: samoptimus
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash padding

Hi all Is there a way to pad the output of a bash script see that code below for i in `sed -n '/Start Printer/,/End Printer/p' /u/ab/scripts/hosts.conf | awk '!/^#/ {print $2}' | egrep -v 'broke|primera' `; do pages=`snmpget -Ov -v1 -c public $i sysLocation.0 | awk '{print $2}'` ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Padding a csv value with 0's

I have this csv file that I would like to sort on the 20th and 21st field. They are high lighted below. My challenge is that when I sort on those fields they are not in order as I would have liked. It seems like I have to pad those fields to the longest value in that fields data. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: GroveTuckey
6 Replies
pnmcut(1)						      General Commands Manual							 pnmcut(1)

NAME
pnmcut - cut a rectangle out of a portable anymap SYNOPSIS
pnmcut [-left leftcol] [-right rightcol] [-top toprow] [-bottom bottomrow] [-width width] [-height height] [-pad] [-verbose] [ left top width height ] [pnmfile] All options may be abbreviated to the shortest unique prefix. DESCRIPTION
Reads a PBM, PGM, or PPM image as input. Extracts the specified rectangle, and produces the same kind of image as output. There are two ways to specify the rectangle to cut: arguments and options. Options are easier to remember and read, more expressive, and allow you to use defaults. Arguments were the only way available before July 2000. If you use both options and arguments, the two specifications get mixed in an unspecified way. To use options, just code any mixture of the -left, -right, -top, -bottom, -width, and -height options. What you don't specify defaults. It is an error to overspecify, i.e. to specify all three of -left, -right, and -width or -top, -bottom, and -height. To use arguments, specify all four of the left, top, width, and height arguments. left and top have the same effect as specifying them as the argument of a -left or -top option, respectively. width and height have the same effect as specifying them as the argument of a -width or -height option, respectively, where they are positive. Where they are not positive, they have the same effect as specifying one less than the value as the argument to a -right or -bottom option, respectively. (E.g. width = 0 makes the cut go all the way to the right edge). Before July 2000, negative numbers were not allowed for width and height. Input is from Standard Input if you don't specify the input file pnmfile. Output is to Standard Output. OPTIONS
-left The column number of the leftmost column to be in the output. If a nonnegative number, it refers to columns numbered from 0 at the left, increasing to the right. If negative, it refers to columns numbered -1 at the right, decreasing to the left. -right The column number of the rightmost column to be in the output, numbered the same as for -left. -top The row number of the topmost row to be in the output. If a nonnegative number it refers to rows numbered from 0 at the top, increasing downward. If negative, it refers to columns numbered -1 at the bottom, decreasing upward. -bottom The row number of the bottom-most row to be in the output, numbered the same as for -top. -width The number of columns to be in the output. Must be positive. -height The number of rows to be in the output. Must be positive. -pad If the rectangle you specify is not entirely within the input image, pnmcut fails unless you also specify -pad. In that case, it pads the output with black up to the edges you specify. You can use this option if you need to have an image of certain dimensions and have an image of arbitrary dimensions. pnmpad can also fill an image out to a specified dimension, and gives you more explicit control over the padding. -verbose Print information about the processing to Standard Error. SEE ALSO
pnmcrop(1), pnmpad(1), pnmcat(1), pgmslice(1), pnm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 29 June 2000 pnmcut(1)