Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Bourne shell viewing files in directory Post 302315925 by Franklin52 on Wednesday 13th of May 2009 02:14:21 PM
Old 05-13-2009
Is the single quote in this command a typo?

Code:
num=`ls -l $dir | wc -l '`

The for loop loops for each word separate by the field separator in the variable $num, that's not what you want. You should do something like:

Code:
i=0
while [ $i -lt $num ]
do
  # do your stuff here
  i=$(($i + 1))
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Viewing files in a directory?

How do I view files in a directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ania
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Viewing files

I have a file (called CORE) that is a dump created by a crashing process. This file, I believe, is in "binary" form, so when I try to use cat, more, or vi on it, it has a bunch of garbage. Is there anything I can use to "read" or view this file just like I might a non-binary file? I am running... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsimpg1
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Viewing Directory Content as You Navigate Directories in UNIX

Hi, Can someone help me figure out how to view directory content while I navigate directories (without having to go to the actual directory and "ls-ing" it)? Is there some keyboard shortcut for this? For instance, it would be useful if I could see the content of a directory when I'm copying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shelata
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to understand the differences between the bash shell and the Bourne shell

I do not claim to be an expert, but I have done things with scripts that whole teams of folks have said can not be done. Of course they should have said we do not have the intestinal fortitude to git-r-done. I have been using UNIX actually HPUX since 1992. Unfortunately my old computer died and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: awk_sed_hello
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to activate Korn Shell functionnalities in Bourne Shell

Hi All I have writing a Korn Shell script to execute it on many of our servers. But some servers don't have Korn Shell installed, they use Borne Shell. Some operations like calculation don't work : cat ${file1} | tail -$((${num1}-${num2})) > ${file2} Is it possible to activate Korn Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HP-UX: Problem viewing directory with BDF...

Hi all, When I use BDF command on this particular server, it outputs mostly normal stuff. However, there is one directory it can't read at all. Also, it doesn't seem to exist. When I BDF my file system with a small panic script (it happens even if you use just the bdf command): As you... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
17 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files in the current directory - BOURNE SHELL

i am trying to write a program, that will list .txt files and .png files. it will ask the user what type of files do they want to list! so if the user inputs txt files.. how would you list all the .txt files in the current directory (the directory the program is running)!! thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bshell_1214
1 Replies

8. Tips and Tutorials

Viewing changes in directory

Hi, I have a directory, and there is a job running and constantly writes and removes files from and to this directory. I would like to see somehow these changes without pressing `ls` every second. Kind of `tail -f` command, but for a directory list and not for file content. I thought maybe kind... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilya_dv
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Viewing file size in current directory

What is the command line for viewing the sizes(lines and bytes)of all the files in your present working directory? Is it >ls -la (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Payton2704
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving Files one directory to another directory shell script

Hi, Could you please assist how to move the gz files which are older than the 90 days from one folder to another folder ,before that it need to check the file system named "nfs" if size is less than 90 or not. If size is above 90 then it shouldn't perform file move and exit the script throwing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat918
4 Replies
Num(3o) 							   OCaml library							   Num(3o)

NAME
Num - Operation on arbitrary-precision numbers. Module Module Num Documentation Module Num : sig end Operation on arbitrary-precision numbers. Numbers (type num ) are arbitrary-precision rational numbers, plus the special elements 1/0 (infinity) and 0/0 (undefined). type num = | Int of int | Big_int of Big_int.big_int | Ratio of Ratio.ratio The type of numbers. === Arithmetic operations === val (+/) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.add_num . val add_num : num -> num -> num Addition val minus_num : num -> num Unary negation. val (-/) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.sub_num . val sub_num : num -> num -> num Subtraction val ( */ ) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.mult_num . val mult_num : num -> num -> num Multiplication val square_num : num -> num Squaring val (//) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.div_num . val div_num : num -> num -> num Division val quo_num : num -> num -> num Euclidean division: quotient. val mod_num : num -> num -> num Euclidean division: remainder. val ( **/ ) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.power_num . val power_num : num -> num -> num Exponentiation val abs_num : num -> num Absolute value. val succ_num : num -> num succ n is n+1 val pred_num : num -> num pred n is n-1 val incr_num : num Pervasives.ref -> unit incr r is r:=!r+1 , where r is a reference to a number. val decr_num : num Pervasives.ref -> unit decr r is r:=!r-1 , where r is a reference to a number. val is_integer_num : num -> bool Test if a number is an integer === The four following functions approximate a number by an integer : === val integer_num : num -> num integer_num n returns the integer closest to n . In case of ties, rounds towards zero. val floor_num : num -> num floor_num n returns the largest integer smaller or equal to n . val round_num : num -> num round_num n returns the integer closest to n . In case of ties, rounds off zero. val ceiling_num : num -> num ceiling_num n returns the smallest integer bigger or equal to n . val sign_num : num -> int Return -1 , 0 or 1 according to the sign of the argument. === Comparisons between numbers === val (=/) : num -> num -> bool val (</) : num -> num -> bool val (>/) : num -> num -> bool val (<=/) : num -> num -> bool val (>=/) : num -> num -> bool val (<>/) : num -> num -> bool val eq_num : num -> num -> bool val lt_num : num -> num -> bool val le_num : num -> num -> bool val gt_num : num -> num -> bool val ge_num : num -> num -> bool val compare_num : num -> num -> int Return -1 , 0 or 1 if the first argument is less than, equal to, or greater than the second argument. val max_num : num -> num -> num Return the greater of the two arguments. val min_num : num -> num -> num Return the smaller of the two arguments. === Coercions with strings === val string_of_num : num -> string Convert a number to a string, using fractional notation. val approx_num_fix : int -> num -> string See Num.approx_num_exp . val approx_num_exp : int -> num -> string Approximate a number by a decimal. The first argument is the required precision. The second argument is the number to approximate. Num.approx_num_fix uses decimal notation; the first argument is the number of digits after the decimal point. approx_num_exp uses scien- tific (exponential) notation; the first argument is the number of digits in the mantissa. val num_of_string : string -> num Convert a string to a number. === Coercions between numerical types === val int_of_num : num -> int val num_of_int : int -> num val nat_of_num : num -> Nat.nat val num_of_nat : Nat.nat -> num val num_of_big_int : Big_int.big_int -> num val big_int_of_num : num -> Big_int.big_int val ratio_of_num : num -> Ratio.ratio val num_of_ratio : Ratio.ratio -> num val float_of_num : num -> float OCamldoc 2012-06-26 Num(3o)