Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to print the number of lines from a file, the starting string should be passed` Post 302315900 by devtakh on Wednesday 13th of May 2009 01:00:48 PM
Old 05-13-2009
Code:
awk -v n=10 '/300/{for(i=1;i<=n;i++){print;getline};exit}' file

Code:
sed -n '/line300/,/line200/{p}' file

cheers,
Devaraj Takhellambam

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to print lines contains particular string format in a file

Hi, I want to print the lines in a file that matches particular string format using shell scripting. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhakaryadav
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk if statement matching all lines starting w/ a number

Does awk have a syntax for a range of numbers or is this the best way? if ($1 >= 0 && $1 <= 9 ) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arsenalman
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

print string at the end of lines in text file

hello, I go text file like this E:/DDD/Dyndede/wwww E:/DDD/sss.com/ffffg/fff E:/DDD/vvvvvv/dd E:/DDD/sss.com/bbbbbb E:/DDD/sss.com/nnnn/xxI want to print /alpha.jpg at the end of every lines like that E:/DDD/Dyndede/wwww/alpha.jpg E:/DDD/sss.com/ffffg/fff/alpha.jpg... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidkhan
8 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Urgent help pls.how to extract two lines having same starting number

Hi , I have a huge file like this =245 this is testing =035 abc123 =245 this is testing1 =035 abc124 =245 this is testing2 =035 abc125 =035 abc126 =245 this is testing3 here i have to pull out those lines having two =035 instead of alternative 035 and 245 i.e extract... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: umapearl
18 Replies

5. Solaris

awk - Print variable number of colums from a starting column

Hi guys, I usualy am able to google awk stuff but I can't find it so far and there are so many awking gurus here that I will give it a shot. I want to print $1;$3;"$5 up to the $NF". In other words, I can have 1000 colums, but need to have $5 up to the end. I started with the idea of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: plmachiavel
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string nth occurrence in file and print line number

Hi I have requirement to find nth occurrence in a file and capture data from with in lines (between lines) Data in File. <QUOTE> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Parameter Filename' VALUE='file1.parm'/> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Service Name' VALUE='None'/> </SESSION> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the lines in a file for the given string?

Hi, I have a file with contents test id text day test sah dh dhs yeay fg jsh jsjk my need: I give a string as a input, it check the file and display the lines with the given string e.g input : test output: test id text day test sah dh dhs (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nanthagopal
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string and count following lines starting with another string

I have a large dataset with following structure; C 0001 Carbon D SAR001 methane D SAR002 ethane D SAR003 propane D SAR004 butane D SAR005 pentane C 0002 Hydrogen C 0003 Nitrogen C 0004 Oxygen D SAR011 ozone D SAR012 super oxide C 0005 Sulphur D SAR013... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syeda Sumayya
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print number of lines for files in directory, also print number of unique lines

I have a directory of files, I can show the number of lines in each file and order them from lowest to highest with: wc -l *|sort 15263 Image.txt 16401 reference.txt 40459 richtexteditor.txt How can I also print the number of unique lines in each file? 15263 1401 Image.txt 16401... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
15 Replies
Ns_ConnRead(3aolserver) 				   AOLserver Library Procedures 				   Ns_ConnRead(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Ns_ConnGets, Ns_ConnRead, Ns_ConnFlushHeaders, Ns_ConnReadHeaders, Ns_ConnReadLine - Routines to copy connection content SYNOPSIS
#include "ns.h" char * Ns_ConnGets(buf, bufsize, conn) int Ns_ConnFlushContent(conn) int Ns_ConnRead(conn, vbuf, toread) int Ns_ConnReadHeaders(conn, set, nreadPtr) int Ns_ConnReadLine(conn, dsPtr, nreadPtr) ARGUMENTS
char *buf (in) Pointer to string buffer of length bufsize. int bufsize (in) Length of buffer pointer to by buf. Ns_Conn conn (in) Pointer to open connection. Ns_DString dsPtr (out) Pointer to initialized dstring to receive copied line. int *nreadPtr(out) Pointer to integer to receive number of bytes copied. Ns_Set set (in/out) Pointer to initialized Ns_Set to copy headers. int toread (in) Number of bytes to copy to location starting at vbuf void *vbuf (in) Pointer to memory location to copy content. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
These routines support copying content from the connection. They all operate by copying from the content buffer returned by a call to Ns_ConnContent, maintaining a private, shared offset into the content. This means that these routines are not actually reading directly from the network and thus will not block waiting for input. See the man page on Ns_ConnContent for details on how the content is pre-read by the server and how resources are managed for small and large content requests. char *Ns_ConnGets(buf, bufsize, conn) Copies the next available line of text from the content to the given buf string, up to the given bufsize less space for a trailing null (). The result is a pointer to buf or NULL if an underlying call to Ns_ConnRead fails. int Ns_ConnFlushContent(conn) Performs a logical flush of the underlying content available to these routines. It simply moves the private offset to the end of the content. The result is NS_OK unless an underlying call to Ns_ConnContent failed in which case NS_ERROR is returned. int Ns_ConnRead(conn, vbuf, toread) Copies up to toread bytes from the content to the memory location pointed to by vbuf. The result is the number of bytes copied which will match toread unless less bytes are available in the input or -1 if an underlying call to Ns_ConnContent failed. int Ns_ConnReadHeaders(conn, set, nreadPtr) Copies lines up to the first blank line or end of content up to the maximum header read size specified with the communication driver "maxheader" parameter (default: 32k). Each line is parsed into "key: value" pairs into the given Ns_Set pointed to be the set argu- ment using the Ns_ParseHeader routine with the Ns_HeaderCaseDisposition specified by the "headercase" server option (default: Pre- serve). The result is NS_OK if all lines were consumed or NS_ERROR on overflow beyond the max header limit or if there was an error with the underlying call to Ns_ConnRead (including an error of a single line beyond the max line limit as described below). The integer pointed to by the nreadPtr argument, if given, is updated with the total number of bytes consumed. This routine can be use- ful when parsing multipart/form-data content to collect headers for each part. int Ns_ConnReadLine(conn, dsPtr, nreadPtr) Copies the next available line to the given dsPtr dstring. The integer pointed to by nreadPtr, if present, is updated with the num- ber of bytes copied. The line will not include the trailing or if present. The function will return NS_OK unless an under- lying call to Ns_ConnContent failed or the line exceeds the maximum line read size specified by the communication driver "maxline" parameter (default: 4k). This routine differs from Ns_ConnGets in that it copies the result to a dstring instead of a character buffer, requires a full or end-of-content terminated line, and enforces the maxline limit. SEE ALSO
Ns_ConnContent(3), Ns_ParseHeader(3) KEYWORDS
connection, read, content AOLserver 4.0 Ns_ConnRead(3aolserver)