Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: CDROM Issue on LPAR HMC VIO
Operating Systems AIX CDROM Issue on LPAR HMC VIO Post 302315896 by filosophizer on Wednesday 13th of May 2009 12:51:55 PM
Old 05-13-2009
CDROM Issue on LPAR HMC VIO

Whenever I assign/unassign a CDROM ( RAID CTRL ) to Active LPAR from HMC, I have to reboot the LPAR.

How can I do it without rebooting the LPARS.

POWER6 with HMC
LPARS = AIX 6.1

Any info

developerWorks : AIX and UNIX : PowerVM Forum : Moving CD-ROM/DVD-ROM dynamically ...

But doesn't answer the question.... some info though...

IBM VIO WIKI http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wi...ualization/VIO

Last edited by filosophizer; 05-31-2009 at 04:37 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Restoring mksysb to vio lpar?

I have a standard template I deploy for each of my AIX servers. It's in a mksysb format which I pulled via the nim server after I originally set it up. I'm trying to restore this mksysb over the wire to a remote system. The remote system is an lpar running under vio (no HMC attached). The disk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scottsl
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix VIO vs Dynamic LPAR

Can you have a Dynamic LPAR without VIO and if yes is there a benefit to having both? I am attempting to implement VIO and Resource pooling at my company and want to understand the limitations. Also, I have been told the managing and allocation of the Logical Volumes is a time consuming task as... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bombers73
0 Replies

3. AIX

LPAR and vio disk mapping

We have a frame the uses 2 vios that assign disk storage to LPAR's. We have a LPAr with multiple disk and I want to know how do I tell which vio is serving the disk. For example the LPAr has hdisk 0, 1, 2, 3 all the same size. I want to know which vio is serving hdisk0, 1. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
4 Replies

4. AIX

Virtual Ethernet VIO HMC LPARs

Hi, I am little confused about the virtual Ethernet configuration on VIO and Client Partitions. There is alot of info on the internet but it gets more confusing.... If I have LHEA, it is very simple. Just assign LHEA (logical host ethernet adapter) to client partition -> run smitty tcpip and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
10 Replies

5. AIX

LPAR - What is my VIO (hostname, IP, ...)

I am wondering if there is a command I can run from **with-in** LPAR server (server01) to find out the hostname or IP address or other parameters for VIO server in charge of server01? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ms1232
1 Replies

6. AIX

Possible to connect a LPAR to two different VIO's?

Just a question which may seem dumb to some out there, but then again I am not a super technie so that's my excuse. Is it possible to say provision a test AIX LPAR (has a 10gb boot lun and 20gb data) under a VIO which has connectivity to SAN Array A so it can see the disks provisioned to it,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johnny1314
2 Replies

7. AIX

Discovery LPAR from HMC

Hi All, i would like to know if it's possible to know all the IP Addresses of all LPAR's interfaces from HMC (without connect into LPAR). And if i can know also the "Application" hostname of LPAR from HMC. Thanks in advance. Bye Mario (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zio Bill
2 Replies

8. AIX

VIO server does not show new LPAR

Hi All, I've been trying to create a new LPAR for some days now but I can't get the VIO server to recognize the new LPAR. This is what I did: On HMC create new LPAR On HMC create new virtual scsi adapter for LPAR in VIO profile On HMC add new virtual scsi adapter for LPAR with DLPAR... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: petervg
6 Replies

9. AIX

cdrom confusion on the vio client lpar

Hi In my vio server I have the below output $ lsvopt | grep -i SAPSITGS sapsitgs_cdrom TL12UP.iso 3182 In my vio client lpar I have the below output root@sapsitgs:/ # lsdev -Cc cdromcd0 Available Virtual SCSI Optical Served by VIO Server cd1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
1 Replies

10. AIX

Command to show HMC of this lpar?

Does anyone know of a command that can be run on the lpar to show the name of the lpars managing HMC? We have a large environment and records a little old on which HMC manages which lpars....if i could login to an lpar and just issue a command to show me its managing hmc that would be great. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Foiled
2 Replies
reboot(3C)																reboot(3C)

NAME
reboot - reboot system or halt processor SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/reboot.h> int reboot(int howto, char *bootargs); The reboot() function reboots the system. The howto argument specifies the behavior of the system while rebooting and is a mask con- structed by a bitwise-inclusive-OR of flags from the following list: RB_AUTOBOOT The machine is rebooted from the root filesystem on the default boot device. This is the default behavior. See boot(1M) and kernel(1M). RB_HALT The processor is simply halted; no reboot takes place. This option should be used with caution. RB_ASKNAME Interpreted by the bootstrap program and kernel, causing the user to be asked for pathnames during the bootstrap. RB_DUMP The system is forced to panic immediately without any further processing and a crash dump is written to the dump device (see dumpadm(1M)) before rebooting. Any other howto argument causes the kernel file to boot. The interpretation of the bootargs argument is platform-dependent. Upon successful completion, reboot() never returns. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. The reboot() function will fail if: EPERM The {PRIV_SYS_CONFIG} privilege is not asserted in the effective set of the calling process. intro(1M), boot(1M), dumpadm(1M), halt(1M), init(1M), kernel(1M), reboot(1M), uadmin(2) 22 Mar 2004 reboot(3C)