Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get Nth record from last line Post 302315863 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 13th of May 2009 11:22:57 AM
Old 05-13-2009
One way - assume you want line #101 from the end
Code:
tail -101 filename | head -1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to extract Nth record?

I have a comma-separated record and I'd like to use sed to pull the Nth record from it. It seems like it'd need to be something like this: sed -n 's/'"\,$1\,"'/&/p' Am I close? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: doubleminus
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print first, second, every nth, and last record

does anyone have an awk one-liner to: print the first line, the second line, then every Nth line, and the last line of a file. Thanks, Kenny. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenneth.mcbride
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reject the record if the record in the next line does not satisfy the pattern

Hi, I have a input file with the following entries: 1one 2two 3three 1four 2five 3six 1seven 1eight 1nine 2ten The output should be 1one 2two 3three 1four 2five 3six (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: supchand
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reject the record if the record in the next line does not begin with 2.

Hi, I have a input file with the following entries: 1one 2two 3three 1four 2five 3six 1seven 1eight 1nine 2ten 2eleven 2twelve 1thirteen 2fourteen The output should be: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: supchand
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start reading from the nth line till the last line of a file.

Hi, For my reuirement, I have to read a file from the 2nd line till the last line<EOF>. Say, I have a file as test.txt, which as a header record in the first line followed by records in rest of the lines. for i in `cat test.txt` { echo $i } While doing the above loop, I have read... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to delete nth line

can you please tell me (1) how to delete 1st and 3rd line only from a file. (2) How to delete last 4 lines in a file that has 2 blank lines out of last 4 lines. Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating average for every Nth line in the Nth column

Is there an awk script that can easily perform the following operation? I have a data file that is in the format of 1944-12,5.6 1945-01,9.8 1945-02,6.7 1945-03,9.3 1945-04,5.9 1945-05,0.7 1945-06,0.0 1945-07,0.0 1945-08,0.0 1945-09,0.0 1945-10,0.2 1945-11,10.5 1945-12,22.3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Give name for every nth line

Hi all, Greetings. I am facing some troubles and hope that the professionals here could help me. I am handling a large dataset, and part of it is like below: 1 ab139 0 752566 G A 1 ab151 0 846808 T C 1 ab142 0 854250 G A 1 ab061 0 861808 A G 1 ab043 0 873558 T G... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amanda Low
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert a line of text on nth line of a file

Hi All, I am using UNix Sun OS sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise My intention is to insert a line of text after 13th line of every file inside a particular directory. While trying to do it for a single file , i am using sed sed '3 i this is the 4th line' filename sed: command garbled: 3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotamp
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing string from last field of the nth line of file to start (or end) of each line (awk I think)

My file (the output of an experiment) starts off looking like this, _____________________________________________________________ Subjects incorporated to date: 001 Data file started on machine PKSHS260-05CP ********************************************************************** Subject 1,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: samonl
9 Replies
INOTAIL(1)						       Inotify enhanced tail							INOTAIL(1)

NAME
inotail - A fast and lightweight version of tail using inotify SYNOPSIS
inotail [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
inotail is a replacement for the 'tail' program found in the base installation of every Linux/UNIX system. It makes use of the inotify in- frastructure in recent versions of the Linux kernel to speed up tailing files in the follow mode (the '-f' option). Standard tail polls the file every second by default while inotail listens to special events sent by the kernel through the inotify API to determine whether a file needs to be reread. Note: inotail will not work on systems running a kernel without inotify. To enable inotify, please set CONFIG_INOTIFY=y in your Linux kernel configuration and recompile it. Currently inotail is not fully compatible to neither POSIX or GNU tail but might be in the future. OPTIONS
-c N, --bytes=N output the last N bytes. If the first character of N is a '+', begin printing with the Nth character from the start of each file. -f, --follow keep the file(s) open and print appended data as the file grows -n N, --lines=N output the last N lines (default: 10) If the first character of N is a '+', begin printing with the Nth line from the start of each file. -v, --verbose print headers with file names -h, --help show help and exit -V, --version show inotail version and exit AUTHOR
Written by Tobias Klauser <tklauser@distanz.ch> SEE ALSO
tail(1), inotify(7) 2006-08-13 INOTAIL(1)