Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get Nth record from last line Post 302315862 by ford2020 on Wednesday 13th of May 2009 11:19:42 AM
Old 05-13-2009
Get Nth record from last line

I have a growing file . I knew only last few lines which is constant for evey job run. I'd need to pull the Nth record from the last line. In this case i should not use search pattern.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to extract Nth record?

I have a comma-separated record and I'd like to use sed to pull the Nth record from it. It seems like it'd need to be something like this: sed -n 's/'"\,$1\,"'/&/p' Am I close? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: doubleminus
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print first, second, every nth, and last record

does anyone have an awk one-liner to: print the first line, the second line, then every Nth line, and the last line of a file. Thanks, Kenny. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenneth.mcbride
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reject the record if the record in the next line does not satisfy the pattern

Hi, I have a input file with the following entries: 1one 2two 3three 1four 2five 3six 1seven 1eight 1nine 2ten The output should be 1one 2two 3three 1four 2five 3six (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: supchand
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reject the record if the record in the next line does not begin with 2.

Hi, I have a input file with the following entries: 1one 2two 3three 1four 2five 3six 1seven 1eight 1nine 2ten 2eleven 2twelve 1thirteen 2fourteen The output should be: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: supchand
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start reading from the nth line till the last line of a file.

Hi, For my reuirement, I have to read a file from the 2nd line till the last line<EOF>. Say, I have a file as test.txt, which as a header record in the first line followed by records in rest of the lines. for i in `cat test.txt` { echo $i } While doing the above loop, I have read... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to delete nth line

can you please tell me (1) how to delete 1st and 3rd line only from a file. (2) How to delete last 4 lines in a file that has 2 blank lines out of last 4 lines. Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating average for every Nth line in the Nth column

Is there an awk script that can easily perform the following operation? I have a data file that is in the format of 1944-12,5.6 1945-01,9.8 1945-02,6.7 1945-03,9.3 1945-04,5.9 1945-05,0.7 1945-06,0.0 1945-07,0.0 1945-08,0.0 1945-09,0.0 1945-10,0.2 1945-11,10.5 1945-12,22.3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Give name for every nth line

Hi all, Greetings. I am facing some troubles and hope that the professionals here could help me. I am handling a large dataset, and part of it is like below: 1 ab139 0 752566 G A 1 ab151 0 846808 T C 1 ab142 0 854250 G A 1 ab061 0 861808 A G 1 ab043 0 873558 T G... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amanda Low
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert a line of text on nth line of a file

Hi All, I am using UNix Sun OS sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise My intention is to insert a line of text after 13th line of every file inside a particular directory. While trying to do it for a single file , i am using sed sed '3 i this is the 4th line' filename sed: command garbled: 3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotamp
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing string from last field of the nth line of file to start (or end) of each line (awk I think)

My file (the output of an experiment) starts off looking like this, _____________________________________________________________ Subjects incorporated to date: 001 Data file started on machine PKSHS260-05CP ********************************************************************** Subject 1,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: samonl
9 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, g - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] g [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(7) with the addition of a newline character as an alternative (substitute for |) with lowest precedence. Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -e The following argument is taken as a pattern. This option makes it easy to specify patterns that might confuse argument parsing, such as -n. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. -f The pattern argument is the name of a file containing regular expressions one per line. -b Don't buffer the output: write each output line as soon as it is discovered. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. An expression starting with '*' will treat the rest of the expression as literal characters. G invokes grep with -n and forces tagging of output lines by file name. If no files are listed, it searches all files matching *.C *.b *.c *.h *.m *.cc *.java *.cgi *.pl *.py *.tex *.ms SOURCE
/src/cmd/grep /bin/g SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(7) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)