Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Security user Can't change the groups. Post 302315812 by ITHelper on Wednesday 13th of May 2009 09:29:21 AM
Old 05-13-2009
I tried .. but same problem !!
ITHelper

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dynamic user groups

Is it possible to dynamically allocate a new user group to an existing session on Solaris 5.8 I'd like to be able to allow certain users to access a set of scripts for the life of session (preferably there own session not a specific login created for the purpose) by dynamically giving the session... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hammer
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding user to groups

How do I add a user to a group? And how do I determine the list of groups to add a user? Solaris 10 newbie (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: peteythapitbull
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User groups

Hi I have a user zak and 4 groups:- oracle stats data archive I want user zak to be part of the oracle and stats group but not be able to view,list anything in data and archive. Also anyone in the data and archive group should not be able to view,list anything in oracle and stats....... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zak
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove UNIX user and groups

I created UNIX groups - oinstall, dba and UNIX user - oracle for the installation of Oracle 10g. But I might did something incorrectly. Oracle user account didn't created properly. How to remove these UNIX groups and user so that I can start over again to create them properly. Thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
7 Replies

5. Solaris

Setting user groups

Hi......... I'm trying to set a group of users to login to do a required super-user tasks without knowing the super-user passwd. For example...a user popodude logs in as self with passwd..system accepts the password & then automatically asks for the super-user account passwd. My goal is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Remi
1 Replies

6. AIX

user & groups

1 - what is the maximum no: of groups a user can be a part of ? 2 - what is maximum no: of users a group can contain ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: senmak
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to add user to multiple groups

hi all i am new to solaris how to add a user to multiple(secondary) groups. user :anna Groups : delhi ,mumbai,pune i need like this in cat /etc/group delhi::anna mumbai::anna pune::anna i tried using usermod -a -G hyd anna that does int work how to delete user from group... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
3 Replies

8. AIX

Nested user groups

Is there a command to nest a group in another group in AIX. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to get User list from different groups and root?

Hi all, I want to list out users from different group and root, who are roaming in our group or root as a user. how can i list out this users ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kpatel97
1 Replies

10. HP-UX

Creating user groups that are persistent

Hi, I need to modify the user 'munfai' by adding it into groups bscs, oinstall, dba. I use this command as user root to add the user into the mentioned groups : # usermod -G bscs,oinstall,dba munfai I can thereafter see the id in the groups : # id munfai uid=258(munfai) gid=20(users)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
2 Replies
NEWGRP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 NEWGRP(1)

NAME
newgrp -- change to a new primary group SYNOPSIS
newgrp [-l] [group] DESCRIPTION
The newgrp command changes a user to a new primary group (real and effective group ID) by starting a new shell. The user remains logged in and the current directory and file creation mask remain unchanged. The user is always given a new shell even if the primary group change fails. The newgrp command accepts the following options: -l The environment is changed to what would be expected if the user actually logged in again. This simulates a full login. The group is a group name or non-negative numeric group ID from the group database. The real and effective group IDs are set to group or the group ID associated with the group name. If group is not specified, newgrp restores the user's real and effective group IDs to the user's primary group specified in the password database. The user's supplementary group IDs are restored to the set specified for the user in the group database. If the user is not a member of the specified group, and the group requires a password, the user will be prompted for the group password. FILES
/etc/group The group database /etc/master.passwd The user database /etc/passwd A Version 7 format password file EXIT STATUS
If a new shell is started the exit status is the exit status of the shell. Otherwise the exit status will be >0. SEE ALSO
csh(1), groups(1), login(1), sh(1), su(1), umask(2), group(5), passwd(5), environ(7) STANDARDS
The newgrp command conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A newgrp command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. A newgrp command appeared in NetBSD 5.0. BUGS
There is no convenient way to enter a password into /etc/group. The use of group passwords is strongly discouraged since they are inherently insecure. It is not possible to stop users from obtaining the encrypted password from the group database. BSD
June 6, 2007 BSD