Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Read directory and fill a file with this information Post 302315774 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 13th of May 2009 07:48:57 AM
Old 05-13-2009
Code:
ls /tempdir |
while read filename
do
echo "this filename $filename is found and would be removed within 10 days"
done >> /test/output

Note: if the directory /test exists it is a really bad name for a file or a directory.
test is the name of a unix command. file names that match command names cause problems.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File/directory information......

Basically i have done created the script below, and it functions ok, it prints the access rights the user has. But i need it to print the group permissions, and other permissions, it would also be helpful if i could print the permissions in numeric form aswell, if it is possible. I have looked in... (50 Replies)
Discussion started by: Makaveli.2003
50 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent!!!Read directory from a file

I have a receive script file which had lots of direcorties to process,but now,I don't want to hardcode them,I need input the directory name in a Property.txt file,then write shell code to read the directory name from Property.txt to the script file so I can get flexible on it.But when I ran the sh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshuaduan
3 Replies

3. Programming

How to read and write directory or file contents in c++ ?

Dear Friends, I m beginner unix programmer. I want to know, how to read and write directory or file contents in c++ ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: namrata5
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read file names in the directory?

I am having n files in a directory i want to read all the file names from the script file .It is better if any one provide a sample script. Elaborating the scenario: i am having n number of sql files in a directory i am running all the sql files from a single script. sqlplus... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshmurs
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read file by file in a directory

Hi I have directory which has 5 files names test1, test2, test3, test4, test5 Now i want to read file by file and generate md5checksum. Command used is md5sum test1. How can i read file names one after the other and generate checksum and send the output to a file. Please reply (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
3 Replies

6. Programming

How to read BGP session information with C

Friends, I want to read BGP session information with C ( in FreeBSD ). The program will almost work like a sniffer. My FreeBSD box (which is not a BGP speaker) will look at BGP session information (after catching and parsing it) and take a decision based on the information it sees. :wall: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asadfx
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fill the directory

HI all When i do df -h,it displays the amount of free space. Tell me a command or a script to fill the total space to a certain percent (say 99%) Thanks in advance (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2002anand
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read userid and password information from txt file

Hi Experts, I am writing a shell script (for displaying disk space details) which is logging to 15 different servers using following command. ssh userid@servername It is prompting me for password for all 15 servers when I manually run it. However , soon I would like to schedule this script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I use my code to gather information from a file in a completely different directory?

I need my code to compare two different files that are in two completely different directories, How can I do this? So for example, my code will look at file1 which is in my home directory, and compare the files with those from file2 that is in /abc/adf/adr/afc/adf/file2... does that make sense? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: castrojc
1 Replies
list directory(1m)														list directory(1m)

NAME
list directory - Displays a list of all the directories whose names match the specified directory name SYNOPSIS
cdscp list directory directory-name [with attribute-name = attribute-value] ARGUMENTS
The full name of a specific directory. The last simple name can contain wildcard characters. The name of a particular attribute. The value of a particular attribute. DESCRIPTION
The list directory command displays a list of all the directories whose names match the specified directory name. The last simple name can contain wildcards. You can use a with attribute-name = attribute-value clause to limit output only to directories whose attributes have values equal to the specified values. A space must precede and follow the = (equals sign). Privilege Required You must have read permission to the parent directory. If you use a with attribute-name = attribute-value clause in the command, you also need read or test permission to the selected directories. NOTE
This command is replaced at Revision 1.1 by the dcecp command and may not be provided in future releases of DCE. EXAMPLE
The following command displays the names of all the directories in the /.:/sales directory: cdscp> list directory /.:/sales/* LIST DIRECTORY /.../abc.com/sales AT 1991-10-15-15:43:58 atlanta austin boston chicago ontario ny seattle RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: add directory(1m), create directory(1m), delete directory(1m), remove directory(1m), set directory(1m), set directory to skulk(1m), show directory(1m) list directory(1m)